Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evacuation by helicopter: How much?

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway, "I would disagree with some of the comments presented above on France."

And I thought it was only me Toofy Grin

"@archers, I am not sure that is generally true. I am fairly sure that although Alpe d'Huez, I think jointly with Les Deux Alpes, operate a rescue / emergency helicopter you / your insurers will be charged for the use of it. Generally they only recover you to a meeting place with an ambulance and onward "travel" is in that, which you / your insurers will also have to pay for. Having said that I did have a scale of charges somewhere which I will try to dig out, and the helicopter charge, although like a sledge recovery was dependent on which zone you had the accident in, was in the hundreds, not thousands. I think there are also differences as to whether you are within the resort boundaries, whether you are recovered by the piste security sevice or by the emergency services (in which case I think it is free but I do not truly know)."
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To add some recent actual rescue costs to this discussion; I was sledged off La Plagne March 2023, down to bottom of piste, then transferred to hospital in Bourg by ambulance. Cost was 760 EUR, picked up by and paid by Carre Neige, after a simple online process.

Same week at Le Gets, March 2023, a friend was sledged across piste to flat area [760 Eur], then helicopter to hospital [2500 Eur], all paid by CN. Never ski in France without it! If you do the Ski a la Carte, pay-as-you-ski lift pass, make sure you tick the insurance box, 17 EUR gives annual CN cover.

Solden in Austria do the same sort of thing as Carre Niege, but it is hidden away deep on their web site. January 2023 it cost 5 EUR a day from the ticket office. Tour company and reps never mentioned it, not sure if any other Brits in hotel had it. Uninsured rescue costs in Austria are cheaper than France, about half, but still a big money shock.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife's heli-evac in the Quatre Vallées three years ago cost exactly £100/minute.

That's total flight time from the airport, hovering over the site, landing a medic to do an assessment; taking off and hovering for a while; landing again; loading her into the helicopter; flight to the hospital; land, transfer and take off again; and flight back to the airport.

On top of that you'll be charged for the pisteurs closing off the piste and managing the landings; the medic; and medical assistant. In Switzerland there's a flat fee for accessing the health system not covered by your GHIC. And discharge medicines are also often extra.

Most of this would be covered by the assurance you can buy with the ski pass. Which at CHF 5.00/day in Switzerland, seems a bargain. It's definitely worth having your GHIC on you (not back at the hotel/apartment) as this usually streamlines the A&E admissions process with the hospital administrators. Note that in her case, the accident was on-piste and very prosaic - she just tripped over her skis after coming to a halt at the side - but the pisteurs deemed her injuries might be too serious to use the ski-stretcher and called the heli-evac immediately. After that, the £100/minute clock started ticking .....

Definitiely everyone should have everything they need with them, as there was no room in the helicopter for passengers. So the patient will arrive by themselves and have to manage the admissions alone. It usually takes a while for anyone else to get off the slpes, back to their accommodation, change and drive/taxi to wherever the hospital is. Which can take a while.

A good insurance policy should have provision for someone coming/staying out to accompany the patient home. This is in the situation where they need a bit of time to recover for travel and everyone else has had to catch their flights home. If no one can stay, then someone will need to travel out to help. You may need to extend the accommodation, or find new accomodation at short notice, which won't be cheap.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 7-11-23 16:35; edited 7 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
c.8 years thread revival, impressive.

Is there a similar scheme in St Anton? Never bought it but just relied on Snowcard and bank winter sports insurance but if cheap worth buying (if there is such a thing) those Wucher whirlygiggs ain't cheap.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29, I just looked St Anton up the other day. There's a thing called the Arlberg Safety Card that looks to do about the same job as CN. 15 euros for a week, from the lift pass office.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Shakira, Ah cool, i'll look at that - for the price of 2 beers might be a good buy! Thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is (was?) also possible to join the UK section of the Austrian Alpine club or sponsor the Bergrettung (mountain rescue) for €32 per year. I sponsor Bergrettung it covers my wife too, not sure but maybe it covers kids as well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In 2016 it cost me just under 6,000 Euros, airlifted from Hintertux to the general hospital in Schwaz, a flight of about 32km plus whatever it took to get to me. Included attendance by a Dr and a morphine shot. My insurance company at the time (DogTag through BASI) paid in full and settled the bill directly with the heli company. Claim process was fairly straightforward, and I was mightily glad I had that cover.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Shakira, I think you will find that doesnt cover the costs for any off piste (or off ski route) rescue, though might be wrong. In the Arlberg they seem to rely on heli evacuation even from the pistes, I have never fancied being dangled on 20m of rope 100s of metres in the air for the trip down to the clinic in the valley! Far better to join the Alpenverein (Austrian Alpine Club in the UK) which gives it members worldwide rescue insurance which covers the costs wherever you have to be picked up from with or without a guide, you do need to make other arrangements for medical cover as the cover included is really only a top up.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Far better to join the Alpenverein (Austrian Alpine Club in the UK)

@munich_irish, I did! (Plus regular travel insurance for other stuff.) I was looking up the Arlberg card for friends I ski with who won't stray off piste/run. Does anywhere cover rescue from substantially off-piste with this kind of ski pass office cover? I'd always assumed not.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blows me away how much it costs for a heli rescue in Europe.

It’s no charge here in Nz regardless of in bounds or out of bounds. No need for insurance. Just push the button on the inreach and they will come and get you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Shakira, Not sure about Carre Neige as long time since I skied in France. I would assume similar schemes exist in Switzerland and Italy. Certainly for anyone who sticks to the pistes & ski routes in the Arlberg, the safety card plus travel insurance will cover you. One of the safety card, Alpenverein or Bergrettung cards will save grief as the heli folk should bill them direct rather than you having pay and reclaim money from your insurer
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had a heli rescue by air Zermatt in April 2017. I cracked shoulder in 5 places and snapped my humerus in my upper arm. It cost me £1800 for a 10 minute flight down to Zermatt to have the damage x rayed at the medical centre. I then had to get a taxi down to Visp for a four night stay in Visp Hospital to have it all plated a screwed back together. I had to pay up front on my credit card for the heli rescue, the X ray at the medical centre and my 1 hour taxi ride down to Visp. My hospital treatment was covered by my EHIC card, I merely showed this to the hospital receptionist in the A and E dept. All costs were paid out by my Nat West travel Insurance some 6 weeks later after providing them with receipts. I also had to rearrange our Easy Jet flight back home and the additional costs were also covered. In summary, expensive when it goes tits up for you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a heli rescue by air Zermatt in April 2017. I cracked shoulder in 5 places and snapped my humerus in my upper arm. It cost me £1800 for a 10 minute flight down to Zermatt to have the damage x rayed at the medical centre. I then had to get a taxi down to Visp for a four night stay in Visp Hospital to have it all plated a screwed back together. I had to pay up front on my credit card for the heli rescue, the X ray at the medical centre and my 1 hour taxi ride down to Visp. My hospital treatment was covered by my EHIC card, I merely showed this to the hospital receptionist in the A and E dept. All costs were paid out by my Nat West travel Insurance some 6 weeks later after providing them with receipts. I also had to rearrange our Easy Jet flight back home and the additional costs were also covered. In summary, expensive when it goes tits up for you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Air Glaciers (Sion ) do a recovery card/insurance, all the Swiss friends use it.
I have a vague recollection of being told that they will recover a stranded cow from up on the ALP!
snow conditions
Chris_n wrote:
It is (was?) also possible to join the UK section of the Austrian Alpine club or sponsor the Bergrettung (mountain rescue) for €32 per year. I sponsor Bergrettung it covers my wife too, not sure but maybe it covers kids as well.

I just signed up to the here in Austria, but yes it's also possible to join from the UK:

https://www.alpenverein.at/britannia/membership/Membership.php
snow conditions
hang11 wrote:
Here in NZ, there's never any charge for rescue, and no need to carry additional insurance - it's a great system - all costs for sporting injuries/accidents are covered by a mandatory levy on wages - a bit like national insurance in the UK.

It also means that suing people for compensation over personal injury is almost unheard of.

Yeah, I heard that if you get hurt in a car accident in NZ, however at fault the other driver is you can't get compensation from them. Instead there is a state system of compensation but that it isn't generous enough to compensate for really bad losses (e.g., you lose a high paying career because of a brain injury).

Frankly I don't find that a good system at all. I don't think it protects the innocent or holds people accountable for their actions.
snow report
I'm not sure you can recover "consequential loss" damages in the UK either except in specific circumstances which wouldn't apply in your example. I may have misunderstood, in which case I'm eager to learn better. I'm not yet convinced NZ is different from UK in this at all. Rescue here is also free.

The US also has "punitive damages" I believe, which is a different deal again. And of course bog standard damages are likely more impressive there as they don't have an NHS etc.
latest report
@Shakira, @munich_irish, Thanks for the heads up re alpenverein club, will look into this.
ski holidays
Interestingly, my mate and his daughter got winched off the Via Ferrata in Vaujany near Alp d Huez by helicopter back in August.
The daughter lost it on the rope bridges and my mate couldn’t shift her.
After a short heli ride they were dropped off up by the tennis courts. They were never charged a penny.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
hang11 wrote:
Here in NZ, there's never any charge for rescue, and no need to carry additional insurance - it's a great system - all costs for sporting injuries/accidents are covered by a mandatory levy on wages - a bit like national insurance in the UK.

It also means that suing people for compensation over personal injury is almost unheard of.

Yeah, I heard that if you get hurt in a car accident in NZ, however at fault the other driver is you can't get compensation from them. Instead there is a state system of compensation but that it isn't generous enough to compensate for really bad losses (e.g., you lose a high paying career because of a brain injury).

Frankly I don't find that a good system at all. I don't think it protects the innocent or holds people accountable for their actions.

Nz system works ok (for a state run thing)

Any sporting injuries or accidents go through private healthcare under it. Rescue is always free.

It covers 80% of salary if you are injured. Not sure what the cap is but you can insure for income protection outside of the scheme.

It’s not good for ambulance chaser lawyers
ski holidays
@Duck, That’s because rescue in France is free when outside an area of lift served ski area. So if you are touring in the back country it should be free.
snow report
Ah, thanks @chocksaway didn’t know that.
snow conditions
easy fix: Pay a minimum of about 35€ to Vorarlberg Mountain Rescue (Bergrettung) and your family is covered for a year. No formalities at all. Just a money transfer.
ski holidays
It’s a year or two out of date but this link gives you a clue:

https://www.mairie-tignes.fr/cms_viewFile.php?idtf=36532&path=Tarifs-secours-2021-GB.pdf
latest report
hang11 wrote:

It’s no charge here in Nz regardless of in bounds or out of bounds. No need for insurance. Just push the button on the inreach and they will come and get you.

If you are genuinely out of bounds in France, a helicopter is free mountain rescue. I think @Weathercam had that experience when he was ski touring and trashed his knee.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
... If you are genuinely out of bounds in France, a helicopter is free mountain rescue. ...
Same for my buddy in France. And same as in Canada, although I didn't point it out as it conflicts with what people want to believe. Obviously the devil's in the detail, but the obvious assumption that the further away you are from the resort cafe, the more expensive it's going to be... doesn't hold generally.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
hang11 wrote:

If you are genuinely out of bounds in France, a helicopter is free mountain rescue. I think @Weathercam had that experience when he was ski touring and trashed his knee.

Also true in-bounds on piste in Chamonix, from personal experience. Piste patrol charged to attend, and temporarily close the piste, but the heli was free (2 flights - one to drop medic triage team, one to recover victim and team).

Piste closure/pisteur attendance was c. E1000, heli-dropped medic team & recovery, free, 3 days in hospital (with GHIC card) was about another E1,000 from memory.

Air ambulance home would have been about 20k tho'... at which point insurance would have been relevant.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rega membership in CH is worth it
latest report
When people talk about free helicopter recovery, are those services run by volunteers who happen to own their own helicopters?

Surely somebody is paying, somewhere along the line? Maybe public funds from taxation, maybe paid for by lift companies?
ski holidays
@rob@rar, government funded, which means it comes from the magic money tree.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, In France, The ‘free rescues’ are done by PGHM (state funded) in the blue helos, call-sign Dragon (in case you see them in the local paper). They will also take over the difficult rescues (winching near cliffs, night rescues etc) when the commercial companies run out of capability.

More details about the Chamonix detachment here (in French):
https://www.pghm-chamonix.com/notre-unite/missions

As to where is free and where it’s not the ‘Law of the Mountain’ states that you must pay for a rescue within terrain that can be reached by gravity from the highest ski lift. This was developed in response to the huge cost to the State of rescues within ski areas. (My paraphrasing).
snow conditions
A good chunk of the Nz heli fund comes from gaming machine tax. Problem gamblers pay for heli rescues. Something perversely good about that
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
... Maybe public funds from taxation, maybe paid for by lift companies?
In BC and the UK it's public funds.
snow report
And it's not just winter and the ski season, in the Summer PGHM are just as busy with walkers/climbers / MTB accidents etc

Peloton de gendarmerie de haute montagne (PGHM) as the name implies concentrate their work to the Mountains, and often the CRS too.

They are almost like our Coastguard services and the old RAF Search n' Rescue who do still get called out.

When calling 112 you call will go through to the nearest departmental fire and rescue centre (CODIS), though always good to carry the local number.

They train all the time it seems and we're forever seeing them in action, training or working, especially as the heli HQ is just down the road in Briancon, but they have whole fleets of vans n'trucks. and certainly seems that there are no budget constraints on training with the helis etc

I don't attempt to keep up with them when out touring Laughing as they're machines, but they're always quite interested in the dogs, and stop for a chat, especially if they have their dogs with them.

They are almost revered by all people in the Mountains inc guides* for the work they do, as do the French ever their Fire service,

Mind you they, like your normal Gendarmes can still get a bit arsey, as I found out this year when I was on my emtb up near the Col du Granon going through the barracks that are Interdit but everyone takes the track though, anyway I offered the arsey one a go on the bike and he loved it, plus in the past when the OH has been running up there they've cheered her on appreciating her efforts running up there.

All in all true "heroes" Very Happy

*as guides know when the pooh hits the fan they will be the ones clearing it up.
snow report
Mine was €110 per minute. Billed from arrival.
Plus Dr's fees and all drugs administered at the time.

I was insured by the ÖAMTC (the Austrian AA).
I am also now insured by the Natur Freund mountain sports club and possibly the Alpinverein and the ski teachers' federation... so the next claim will be a paper work nightmare!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy