Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

There are two things wrong with Austrian skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Jac Sprat,
Quote:

all the puddings
Apfelstrudl (if it's a good one - with nice, light pastry) is the only one I really like. I can't be doing with fag ash dumplings, nor with farinaceous worms + jam (Kaiserschmarrn.) I've never been to Mayrhofen, so can't comment.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kaiserschmarrn I find a bit bland and you get far too much of it. Topfenstrudl is a favourite, sort of sweetened quark curd cheese (topfen) in a strudel with vanilla sauce.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
only been to france once 2012 in Les Deux Alps and whilst i had a great holiday i was utterly disgusted with the price of a couple of plates of spag bol and two drinks = 50 euro. that meant packed lunches for the rest of the time and a good scoop in the chalet before paying anything between 6-8 euros for a drink in the bars. Austria on the other hand for the same lunch in the ski welt is under 20 euros and a beer is 3.50 euros. The apres is ten times better and the atmosphere is better. I have never seen anyone sprayed with CS gas in Austria and i did twice in les deux alpes.

i do agree smoking is a pain and that includes when i was a smoker. i still preferred to go outside and not have that stale smell stuck to you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is nothing wrong with Austrian skiing.

If you dont like it F U C K of to Frsnce or Bulgaria.

The Austrians gave the World Skiing, be Thankful.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What we love:

1. The people we know in St Anton, especially the people we stay with.

2. The magic scenery in the Arlberg.

I could go on, but the rules suggest a limit of 2 points. Back in 25 days for our 12th visit. Happy days.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jac Sprat, The main swimming pool in Mayrhofen has a wellness area with a number of saunas and steam room. If you have a bit more time, then you can also get the bus or train down to fugen and go here which has a much bigger wellness area. http://www.erlebnistherme-zillertal.at/ The bus stops outside.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
The Austrians gave the World Skiing, be Thankful.

Is that so? How odd of them then to use a word "ski" derived from Old Norse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_skiing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mikeelsa, I'm not sure that comparing the whole of Austria with a single ski resort in France is very fair!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dogwatch,

Go to the new world US, OZ Canada,, NZ even Argentina. The pioneers/visionarys of the Most famous ski areas in those countries derived from Arlberg & Kitzbuhel.

I,ll start with a basic list

Aspen
Sun Valley
Jackson Hole
Threadbo
Bariloche
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
googiew,
Thanks we shall be making use of those Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Flying Gooseberry wrote:
As Spyderman observed to me the other day, Austrian food is comprised largely of dumplings, with either gravy or custard on them.

Actually it really isn't (thankfully, as I'm not very keen on knoedl), but what you get changes a lot with the seasons.

What you find in a typical mountain hut in winter isn't very representative of the general cuisine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999,

Agreed. Many mountains bars gave into the Burgers & French Fries, Chickens,Wings,Ribs .i.e cheap s h i t . 90%+ profit.

The english tourists seem to like this stuff & dont seem to mind paying for it.

Wienerschitzel has been ruined by frozen pork versions which they
Buy at less than€ 0.50c a piece.

When in Austria insist on the real things.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

venison or wild boar in berry sauces and pasta

Delicious. Was "plat du jour" last time I had lunch in my favourite, delightfully rustic, tiny, restaurant in Praz sur Arly. And half a litre of a reasonable red. €40 euros for two, including coffee and a decent tip.

I've only skied twice in Austria, and enjoyed it but the two worst things were the hotel food (on one holiday, I was cooking on the other) and poor snow (both times, early Jan). We were unlucky with the snow, I'm not so daft as to think that's normal. Best things? Good instruction and beautiful old buildings (Alpbach) with cows in their byres in the village.

Quote:

The english tourists seem to like this stuff & dont seem to mind paying for it.

could say the same about the ubiquitous overpriced "spag bol" and burgers in the big French resorts. And in the small French resorts without Brits there are FAR too many "Savoyarde specialities" with absurd amounts of cheese and pig. Because the French tourists like the stuff and don't seem to mind paying for it. wink That's why, if I couldn't afford a hotel with good food I'd prefer to self-cater and maybe eat out once or twice. I suspect that neither French nor Austrian ski resorts would shine in an international food competition. Am looking forward to the food on the Birthday Bash though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, we are very lucky to have 2 restaurants in the village thst would do very well in a food competition. Your price for your venison plat du jour compares with what we pay for it
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton,
Quote:

Wienerschitzel has been ruined by frozen pork versions which they
Buy at less than€ 0.50c a piece.

When in Austria insist on the real things.
Almost without exception, the restaurants I visited in Austria last week had schnitzels made of pork and not veal. I think I would have had some difficulty in insisting on the real thing.
snow report
pam w, the buffet in the Birthday Bash hotel is very good, what follows is, imho, less good.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, it was actually wild boar, but v delicious. There are some good restaurants here, too, but there's not a lot of variety in the menu - if you are here just for a week, it's fine. But over a period of months it would be nice to have more variation. My most local restaurant used to do a great confit of duck, but there are new owners now and the new menu is nearly all "Savoyarde specialties". They do them well, but still.....

Quote:

the buffet in the Birthday Bash hotel is very good, what follows is, imho, less good.

well as long as it's not all dumplings and fag ash, I'll probably cope!!

My son is cooking in Courchevel 1850 at the moment, for a 3 generation Russian family in a very swanky chalet. There are plenty of good restaurants there, and in other "top" resorts - I think Megeve has the most Michelin stars outside Paris.

But the prices are mind-blowing. I suspect that Emsworth has a better range of restaurants than most ordinary French ski resorts.
snow report
robapplegate, For german c minus Shocked
snow conditions
It's all down to demand I suppose. They cater to whatever the tourists want Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
The Flying Gooseberry, if the menu says 'Schnitzel nach Wiener Art' then it isn't Wiener Schnitzel... don't take it! It has to say 'Wiener Schnitzel' and usually says something about Kalb. Anyway I usually go for other stuff in the mountain restaurants these days. Most of them do good Gulaschssuppe at a reasonable price. That sticks to the ribs. Avoid the Germknödel at any cost. Hate the stuff!
ski holidays
Quote:

Emsworth

sausage pub still there? (not been there for years)
latest report
Oh and for afters, take the Topfenpalatschinken, if they do it. This is the kind of stuff that people get killed for....
snow report
Quote:

sausage pub still there?

yes. Still going strong.

I like gulaschssuppe too. snowHead
ski holidays
Austrian bad points, as of our trip to Saalbach, Dec 2013:

Smoking in bars and restaurants, restaurants didn't take credit cards, very few self-service mountain restaurants (hence slow waiter service and unintelligible menus, often only written in German), and finally, was once served Kaiserschmarn (sp?) as my main course (having requested a vegetarian dish...)

Good points - very good value (esp compared to France), generally friendly staff.
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
The Flying Gooseberry, if the menu says 'Schnitzel nach Wiener Art' then it isn't Wiener Schnitzel... don't take it! It has to say 'Wiener Schnitzel' and usually says something about Kalb. Anyway I usually go for other stuff in the mountain restaurants these days. Most of them do good Gulaschssuppe at a reasonable price. That sticks to the ribs. Avoid the Germknödel at any cost. Hate the stuff!
Absolutely. I can make Wiener Schnitzel myself at home, using rose veal from my good butcher. And I put on quite enough weight without having Topfenpalatschinken - I hate cheesecake, but that is an inspired use of quark. Mmmm. I managed to resist lunchtime puddings altogether, not quite sure how. I would have returned home the size of a house otherwise. Embarassed

stephen buck, I hate self-service restaurants, waiter service is a plus point for me. I agree the smoking in bars and restaurants is horrible (even for a smoker. Embarassed )
snow report
stephen buck, most places will have an English menu if you ask for it, but you are after all in a German speaking country so it's not automatic (or do you get German menus in English pubs these days?). Kaiserschmarrn is often served as a main course in Austria and here in Bavaria as well btw.
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
stephen buck, most places will have an English menu if you ask for it, but you are after all in a German speaking country so it's not automatic (or do you get German menus in English pubs these days?). Kaiserschmarrn is often served as a main course in Austria and here in Bavaria as well btw.

Agreed. From my experience Germans are their main market anyway, not brits, hence the very Germanic slant of the restaurant menu's etc.
latest report
What's the pancake plum thing called? I would sell a kidney for a plate of that right now
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Flying Gooseberry, Palatschicken is crèpes with curd cheese not cheesecake. Beautifully delicate when made correctly as they were for me last week.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, I could murder a heisse witwe right now.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

Palatschicken is crèpes with curd cheese not cheesecake

Yes, I realise that. Normally I don't like puds made with curd or cream cheese (my mother used to make cheesecake with quark, which I utterly loathed) but I make an exception for Palatschinken.
latest report
Oh, bloody hell, I'm on 500 cals today. This isn't good!
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, Don't they'll give you life! Laughing

I've no idea, and nor do they (my Austrian friends) as to why they call thin pancakes "Palatschicken". I avoided it like the plague to begin with until someone explained to me exactly what it was. However you do need to know, as in France, who can and who cannot make featherlight crèpes. wink Luckily I now know of a couple of good places as well as some to avoid at all costs!
ski holidays
Has anyone mentioned Germknodle?
The low calorie Austrian desert, in either custard or mohn and poppy seeds.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:

Oooh now you're talking. I once saw a Germknodle eating competition in Saalbach… I think the winner ate something absurd like 40 of them!
latest report
If you really try authenyic Austrian cusine its ten times better than the English
fatty belly busting food.
latest report
stanton, oh why don't you just shut up, you silly a rse!
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
Referred to above variously as
Quote:

boob dumpling things

Quote:
and
yeasty titbreads

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
If the Austrians invented downhill skiing why do they put their chair lifts on a small mound so that you have to ski up to them Puzzled Mind you, heated seats help make up for that Very Happy
ski holidays
welshskier wrote:
If the Austrians invented downhill skiing why do they put their chair lifts on a small mound so that you have to ski up to them Puzzled Mind you, heated seats help make up for that Very Happy

Haha very true! I'd never thought about that but it is incredibly irritating.

Mad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy