Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dunkirk to Flachau

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

In light of the excellent advice I received last year regarding the best route to Oberstdorf, I would like to pose the same question again this year, with a slight variation:

This year the route is Dunkirk - Flachau. The two choices would appear to be Dunirk - Luxembourg - Munich - Austria, or Dunkirk - Belgium - N. Germany - Munich - Austria. Leaving Dunkirk on Friday night @ 9pm (half term!). Any suggestions gratefully received.......

Skimac Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimac, I do most of that run on a fairly regular basis and I never use the northern Germany route.

The easiest and most cost effective route is as follows:

Dunkirk - Lille
Lille - Tournai
Tournai - Mons
Mons - Charleroi
Charleroi - Namur

All of which avoid any major conurbations by following the E42 motorway route. This road was upgraded about 6 years ago and is not likely to be worked on in a major sense for a couple of more years yet.

Namur - Luxembourg - following E411/E25 motorways (essentially the same but the number changes at the Luxmbourg border)
In Luxembourg you should be able to fill up at the Berchem/Bettembourg service area just south of Luxembourg city on the E25/A3. Fuel here is cheaper than anywhere else along your route, if you can avoid filling up at a German motorway services then do so as their prices can be horrendous. BTW do not fill up at the Walserberg service area on the German Austrian border - their prices are just extracting the urine!

After the Luxembourg services, follow the signs to Germany at the big motorway interchange (Croix de Bettembourg) where you switch from the A3 to the A13. The next big Luxembourg town you will see sign posted on the motorway is Mondorf les Bains and the road signs should indicate Saarbrucken &/or Deutschland. You cross into Germany at Schengen by the way!

At the German border the road number changes to the A8 and you follow this until you reach the interchange with the A6 at Kreuz Neukirchen. Depending on the traffic and road conditions, this is where you make a decision to stay on the A8 directly to Karlsruhe or whether to switch to the A6 and drive round to Mannheim before Karlsruhe. The reason I say there is a decision to make is that the Mannheim route is motorway the whole way, whereas the A8 peters out after 35kms at Pirmaesens. You are then on normal A-type road for a while (B10) before joining the A65 the other side of the National forest. It is a really good road but it is a little winding and hilly and oncoming traffic can be disconcerting if the driver(s) are tired. When driving on my own, I stay on the motorway, if I have a co-driver I take the shorter route through the forest.

From Karlsruhe you pick up the A8 again and follow it all the way to Munich (A99 around Munich) and then onward to the Austrian border at Walserberg. From there you follow the A10 Tauernautobahn directly to Flachau.

A tip to save time and frustration at the border is to pick up the Austrian vignette (10 days is 8 Euro and 2 months is 23.40 Euro) at one of the German service areas that advertise that they sell them. They are the same price everywhere, so there are no cost penalties. The service areas selling the vignette are all the ones between Munich and Salzburg with a big red sign on top of the info sign for the service area and some of the ones on the way down from Stuttgart to Munich.

Even though you are travelling overnight from Friday through to Saturday, you are likely to encounter some heavy traffic in Germany and Austria. Lots of Germans set off straight after school finishes on the Friday as well. The bottlenecks at the moment are:

1. South of Stuttgart on the A8 where there are extensive roadworks at Mühlhausen in Thäle. The road splits here to climb over the escarpment of the Schwabish Hills (it is called the Drakenstein). Leading up to this the motorway is being widened on both sides from 2-lane to 3-lane so you have quite extensive re-routing and narrowing of lanes.

2. South of Munich at the Irschenberg, again where the traffic starts to climb over a steep ridge. The 10km before the Irschenberg is strictly limited in speed (normally 120km/h) in order to prevent traffic piling up at the steep hill. But if there is on or two slow lorries in the right-hand lane, things do quickly jam up).

3. Between Grabenstätt and Siegsdorf there are major roadworks because they have to replace a bridge. This sometimes causes tailbacks that turn into jams when the road is busy.

I hope this helps you have a trouble free run, you can get back to me with any questions if you have any.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many many thanks Sue,

I have had a few people suggest this route over the N Germany one, and you have confirmed it. A lot of it I know from last years drive to Oberstdorf - thanks in particular for showing me how to avoid the B10, it was a bit of a chore last year. Also, I am sure people know but you can now buy the Austrian vignette on line before you leave http://www.tolltickets.com/country/austria/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB is the link.

No problem with the snow this year!

Thanks again,

skimac
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just buy mine vignette at the services these days. Usually first one off the Munich ring, whose name escapes me, but isn't Irschenberg (where I refuse to stop). I'll need to stop for a 5min break anyway, after 4 hours on the road, so it's no time lost.

For the non-cross country route going via Mannheim, I have no idea what state roadwoarks are in this year. Last year there were 2 equal ones, so could go either Mannheim-Heilbronn-Stuttgart or Mannheim-Karlsruhe-Stuttgart and both were about 2-3mins delay. I tend to avoid Karlsruhe at rush hour, but usually go back that way late at night.

Handy to know about Drackenstein... think that's been going on for years. PITA stopping at services there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimac, like Andy I buy mine at the services between my base and the border. It is just as easy and quick and what you see is what you get. I have an annual one as I live right on the border and pop over to shop as well as fill up quite often.

The annual vignette is valid for 14 months if you buy it in December for the following year. but that is only for the first one! wink I change mine at the end of each January when the previous one runs out!

Andy, I think you mean the Holzkirchen Services don't you? The one at Holfolding Forst would be too small and not having any fuel it makes life a wee bit problematic queuing up in the snack bar! wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds familiar. Normally get it from the cafeteria till. First "proper" services (I think).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hello,

Many thanks for all the advice. Snow tires being put on the car this week. To those in the know I realise that 11-18 Feb is UK half term, and also the Austrian Flasching week - both my previous trips to Flachau and Wagrain were outside those dates. I realise that it will of course be busier, but will it be unbearable Sad .....

Skimac
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy