Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for booking a group trip - Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

looking for some advice on the best way to book a group trip for the week 31/3 or 7/4 for 8-10 people to go to Austria with good apres and reasonable height to ensure reasonable conditions

I guess ideally we would like to rent a large apartment to keep costs down (also to allow people to consider driving) and so people aren't restricted to the strict timing regime of a tour operator, but alternatively, should it be cheaper to go with an operator we wouldn't be adverse to that either. We don't need to be overly close to the slopes assuming a decent bus service.

So my questions are

Which resort (obv ones such as st anton & ischgl come to mind)

Apartment
Where do I pickup a reasonably priced apartment (is there an austrian P&V equiv?)
Which method of travel to said resort given that it is easter

Tour operator
Which tour operator is likely to offer the best deal assuming negotiation to suit a largish group?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kioksor,
Quote:

Apartment
Where do I pickup a reasonably priced apartment (is there an austrian P&V equiv?)
Which method of travel to said resort given that it is easter

My own experience is that using the resorts web site connects to most accommodation availabel or you could try emailing the tourist offices with your request and will probably get a lot of offers. Appartments tend to me in small blocks and individually owned rather than the French megablock variety in my experience and are usually decently priced and well appointed.

I guess you can travel all the usual ways personally we fly and rent a car , but from London driving the whole way is an option and St Anton has a train station in the resort.
Plenty of other decent resorts I would look at places like Obertauern, Obergurgl, Solden and all the places with glaciers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kioksor, try looking at flights to/from Innsbruck and perhaps the web site for Neustift in Stubaital. Not as well trodden as other glacier areas in the British market, but incredibly snow sure and easy to reach with public transport from Innsbruck. It would also be easier for any of your self-drive people to reach

There are agencies that run sites managing privately owned apartments, but your best bet is to start looking at the Tourist Office sites. The apartments will most probably all be bigger and better appointed than a lot of the P&V ones, especially their lower end ones!

There are actually a huge number of holiday flats in most Austrian resorts but as a rule they are privately owned. This is possibly why there is an assumption that they are a rarity in Austria. Add that to the fact that you can get excellent 3-star accommodation relatively inexpensively you can see why most of the tour operators offer half-board hotel options only.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kioksor,

Booked a similar trip (10 of us going)

Flying to Memmingen (Munich)
Car Hire
Solden
Found some good B&Bs on Booking.com

Did look at some nice accom on ownersdirect - but we decided that group wanted a bit of privacy on an evening.

Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 12-01-12 11:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interhome are generally good and strong in that part of the world.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy