Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowpulse in St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I am going to St Anton on Sunday and have just realised that I am flying with Aerlingus whom I have just found out do not accept Avalanche Rescue Backpacks!

Does anybody know if there is anywhere in St Anton where they hire or sell Snowpulse canisters and ill take the backpack on its own?

Or does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have a first generation (refillable with air) or second generation (non-refillable nitrogen) snowpulse pack? my recent experience here in Switzerland is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to get the first generation ones refilled 'on site'. Most shops now seem to want to send them back to snowpulse for refilling, otherwise you could have discharged it for the flight and had it refilled in St Anton. However, if you have the second generation then shops seem to be stocking quite a lot of these as spares (the local Mammut shop had a cupboard full when I asked). In any case, both types are fully legal in either hand or hold luggage (see many previous discussion here on snowheads), just the jobs-worths at some airlines who cause problems since strictly speaking it is discretional on their part. I would put it in your hold luggage and forget about it. As someone else here pointed out; there is a similar device under every seat on board an aircraft, they just happen to call it a lifejacket.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi freebeer

Thanks for this. I do have the first generation bag and have tried doing what you suggest when I first bought it. I have just stuck it in my bag and forgot about it on other airlines, but the don't specifically say they wont take them. If you see one of my previous messages I have run through the scenario!

Aerlingus however state that they do not accept rescue backpacks what so ever which is my problem. I would like to chance it but do i run the risk of losing a 125 pound cyclinder if Gatwick call me out on it????

Any further thoughts.... or idea of shops in St Anton I could email?

M
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like Snowpulse is getting some grief. FWIW I have never had any trouble traveling with my ABS.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only problem here is that Aerlingus refuse to take any ABS, snowpulse or BCA which is no use to man nor beast when every one else takes them. Really frustrating.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I cant really see Aerlingus searching your baggage; thats a security issue which is dealt with by the airport. Its only obvious if you have it on your back, and then only if the check-in staff or cabin crew are looking out for such items. I would print out the IATA certification and wrap it around the cylinder (in its box) and put it in your hold baggage together with the pack. Its then up to security if they search your bag, but at least they should know what it is. If you had a snowboard bag then you could put it in there so that you will be present when it is scanned by security at 'outsize luggage'. However, I appreciate that doesnt really help if someone at security doesnt like the look of it, and as you say its an expensive bit of kit to get confiscated.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
heneskibum,

I'm also going to St Anton this coming Sunday, flying out from Gatwick early afternoon.

I've been to St Anton about 10 times in the last 12 years. I'm going on my own but meeting at least one skiing mate I know there.

Are you sorted out with others to ski with or do you want some company. I hope to join some guided off piste groups from mid week once I get my off piste ski legs back.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Your not going to need a Avalanche Rescue Backpack.

If you really think you do need one then your skiing/riding in high risk dangerous areas that may be putting other people at risk.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
Do you have a crystal ball enabling you to see in to heneskibum's future? Can you let me have Saturday's lottery numbers please?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
stanton wrote:
Do you have a crystal ball enabling you to see in to heneskibum's future? Can you let me have Saturday's lottery numbers please?

If you cannot fit it in your Jacket & you need to take a pussy backpack then the only survival aid you need in it is >> Very Happy Very Happy

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
heneskibum, Suggest you try Sport Pete (great little freeride shop in main precinct), Sport Jennewien (I know he does ABS thats where I have got spares in the past), and Sport Alber. Unsure who does Snowpulse refills but they are the main freeride focused shops.
Quote:

If you really think you do need one then your skiing/riding in high risk dangerous areas that may be putting other people at risk

stanton, I really dont understand your comment, IMO you only get one life and you do what you can to protect it, I would never ski where I would put anyone else in danger, and hope no other person does.......nor get myself knowingly into trouble but if the latter happened then I've got the best kit I can so have the best chance of survival.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://i.qkme.me/2iy5.jpg
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all for your comments, really helpful hors piste. As it happens I emailed Sport Jennewien yesterday and they have been most helpful. They will rent me a cyclinder for 5-8 euros a day which is fine by me.

Welsh flyer - 2 of us going but happy to catch up at some point over the week. Drop me a pm and ill let you know phone no. Will have laptop with me also.

For what its worth also Jennewien also rent ABS at 32 euro a day if anyone needs to hire one in St Anton for a day in the backcountry. Best to have all the gear in case the worst ever did happen!

Thanks all again

Mark
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
heneskibum, Result............just bet you cant walk out of Jennewien without spending more money, great shop.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy