Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Red Bull Rail Storm - London's Trafalgar Square - Comment, photos, video

Poster: A snowHead
It is kicking off as I write - 8,000 spectators, 36 of the world's best snow-riders and 66 tons of snow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, there are some enthused comments about the riding on the SCUK website this morning ...
http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-7789.html
... Mention of the crowd being a bit subdued - maybe Red Bull need to invent a drink that makes you scream, whoop, cheer and make high-pitched bird noises - but no photos anywhere.

The images on the Red Bull site (above) look to be the ones shot in Glasgow last year.

Seems strange to stage a massive event like this and not get any photos out. If anyone's seen pix, please post links below.

Any comments on the event? Anyone go to the apres-party?

-------------------------
Edit - ifyouski.com have a report on the evening's events:
http://www.ifyouski.com/news/newsarticle/?ObjectID=7547515
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, Sky News (at least the feed to this part of the world) had a bit on it last night but my signal broke up just as it started.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi all,
It was tremendous fun, despite being an ancient "two plank" snow user.
Yes the crowd was a bit subdued despite two paid commentators/warm-up guys. Prehaps it was something to do with the fact that (surprisingly for an urban snow event?) it was very cold Skullie We were sat in the grandstand - excellent view but no opportunity to jump about.
I am at work at the moment but when home this evening will try and attach a photo - do I do this simply by cut and paste?
I have some video too - does anybody know if the site can cope with me cutting and pasting a video clip too (each one is quite a big file).

Didn't see you Noodlelady Smile

I wrote to Red Bull this morning to congratulate them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Natives have filed a report on the Boardle* of Trafalgar:
http://www.natives.co.uk/action/list.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=39&listitemid=633&

* Blame me

Plus, a few photos on the adrenalinetrip forum:
http://adrenalintrip.extreme.com/forum/viewtopic/1/124046?siteid=3&start=45
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick L, cut and paste won't work. You can register on snowMedia Zone (our sister site for pics and videos) then upload your stuff onto there. There is a size limit on vids but I'm not sure what it currently is.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks kuwait_ian, have done that this morning and will post a picture of the stage and possibly a vid or two from home later
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick L, OK once you've done the uploads it's nice if you post here with a link to your stuff. Saves us wading through all the rest. Cheers
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, you know what I am going to ask next:
How do I insert a link? Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
HJP Crew have posted up a video (2.43 mins):
http://www.hjpcrew.co.uk/lifestyle_2.htm
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick L General Rule - IF (big if) it's a short URL just copy and paste it into your post as David has done in the previous post and this magic s/w converts it automatically to a link (test with preview).
If the URL is a long one (and some of those in snowMedia are...) it will resize the page width. A better way to do it is to use the green bits below. No spaces.
Code:
[url=copy in your url to the pic or vid]short text description[/url]
and all that will come out are the words in 'short text description'. End of general stuff.

For urls from snowMedia it is best not to pick up the URL from the browser window but use the one shown in "UBB Code" below the pic. That uses IMG tags and puts pics directly in here like this - but it's not encouraged as it drives those on slow dialup connections crazy.

You are not the 1st and no doubt won't be the last to ask for help with this. Looking forward to your pics.

Nothing personal but a set of steps and multiple handrails on the shots I've seen so far don't do much for me. Perhaps you had to be there..... Cool

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 22-11-05 13:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick L, I think I set the upload limit for movies at 10Mb. I see you have uploaded "avi" files, which will not help to conserve your disc space allocation or downloaders' patience wink (8Mb for a short clip Shocked ). If you know how to convert avi to mpeg or other format may I respectfully suggest that you give it a try. If not, I'm sure that tips and advice will be forthcoming here snowHead

I seem to recall that Windows movie maker gives you that option and is free. Anyone confirm?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Alan Craggs, , I will try and re-format the vids, re-upload and post later (I managed to nip home at lunchtime to do the uploading earlier.
Here is the only still photo I bothered to keep:
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yippee - I did it! Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice photo, Nick!

It's interesting that this massive amount of money went into a show like this - maybe the biggest outdoor snow show in London since a big nordic ski jump was built on Hampstead Heath in 1950.

Clearly, Red Bull could have put all that money into the ski/board show at Olympia, which is getting pretty tired now ... but they're right that the outdoors is where people want to be.
snow conditions
There are quite a few photos on Red Bull's site now:
http://www.redbullrailstorm.co.uk - go to 'Action'
ski holidays
Well done Nick. For some reason my media player crashes when trying to play directly from the thumbnail. I suggest the "right click and save target as" option if anyone is having the same problem.
snow conditions
Alan, have deleted the mpg and (I think) done a better job with Windows Movie Maker - and they are here in ascending order of file size:
Red Bull Brits
Red Bull non-Brits
Red Bull Practice and Introductions

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-11-05 22:40; edited 2 times in total
latest report
It works!
Thanks for all your advice kuwait_ian, and Alan Craggs, . It has been a real learning experience - my camera is a new Canon digital and I now know how to download videos and even joint them together and now post them! Wow now I'm a real snowHead
snow report
Great stuff Nick L - and my media player plays them from the thumbnails now Cool
ski holidays
Loads of photos now loaded on to the SCUK site - here - including this one, which shows the neat set-up.

But is it spectacular enough? Maybe the public want big ramps, big air, big landings? It's interesting that everyone talks about Tyler Chorlton's 'warm up' front flip over the entire flight of steps - thus arguably rendering the rails obsolete!

Here's a little vid of that stunt, posted by bronze5alive onto the SCUK site:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/bronze5alive/railstorm2.gif
ski holidays
Agreed that a Big Air would have been fantastic. I am not sure how much length of slope and run-off area you need for a Big Air but as you can see from my vids there was a fair gap between the grandstand (for old f%&rts like me) and the stage which was taken up by standing spectators - so presumably they might have been able to accomodate less punters of they had had a Big Air.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, one of the reasons i didn't go in the end...........seemed a long way to go for a few rails.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy