Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets, La Rosiere or Tignes – Which one?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
sanman, I can and will Smile
binkacat, Thanks
James the Last, A fair point. We are shocking compared to the people that fly by us Newbies. ADH was on my wish list but I cannot find a catered chalet with infant and todler care very that is in decent location at sensible price. Zenith were OK, but with flights it gets too expensive. Other operators provide some discounts for the children which helps. Esprit Ski are looking best bet right now. Crystal seem to offer poor choice. MW no catered chalets, Neilson and Inghams offer no discounted kids. Independents all want lots of peenies without flights. I think I have rambled on enough.
boardiac, Had not thought about that. LG is surley going to win. One of the group has just confirmed they prefer LG too.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Inghams might own Esprit (mainly family orientated I think) which would explain the no kids discount on thier Inghams holidays. We had esprit reps on our inghams transfer coaches this year.

LaRos is all south facing as others have said, but if the wind gets up it can still be very cold.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Rosiere great for the kids.
A bit samey for adults, but if you prefer to ski with your children in the afternoons after lessons, rather than take them on holiday to leave them in childcare all day, then it's great, and they soon get a feel for being able to get about the mountain, rather than being stuck in nursery areas.
Ample time for adults to get over into Italy for a ski, and maybe an early lunch, and get back for the kids at 14:00.

When the kids have had a good three years or so under their belts, we'll look elsewhere for wider ranging challenges, i think.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike-H, I've been to Tignes and La Rossiere.

For me Tignes would win every time.

But for you perhaps La Rossiere (are you thinking of Esprit by any chance?).

La Rossiere is far from perfect (South facing and really really windy). But in January should be OK re ice / freeze thaw. The advantage is the large amount of moderate slopes and the ease of skiing down.

As for childcare the Espirt set up in Ferme D"eliza (or similar sounding) / the other one near the top. Is ideal-childcare all in the same building and ski school pick up just under balcony window.

If I was in your position for that week then I'd go for Esprit La Rossiere without question.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James the Last wrote:
Tignes has the most amazing Ski Tranquille area at the top of the Aeroski, where you can have green skiers skiing next to red "off piste" within feet of each other - could be useful depending on how you all come on. (It is a gondola ride to and from it, but I think it's worth it.) I haven't been to the other two resorts, but I'd certainly consider Tignes as it's higher up and you've less risk of rain that early in the season.

Not been to Tignes for 4/5 years so that must be new but surely you still have the problem of getting to it from the carnage of people around the top?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike-H, anyone trying to spook you about snow coverage at LG at new year (or any other time) is probably just trying to keep it to themselves, and quite rightly. wink If you have membership of SKGB or snowforecast.com you can look up historical snow reports but the record for last years' awful snowfall is here: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/historical/snowreport.aspx/Les-Gets New year not a problem - and that was a howler.

If you're looking for inclusive childcare and can afford it, you'd struggle to do better than Ski Famille, as mentioned above.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

New year not a problem - and that was a howler

Very true, but all over this area, including LG, the snow at New Year was better than it was subsequently - was downhill from there on. And LG was most definitely worse off than other higher resorts later in the season, when things got really bad and warm and grassy.

We did LG early Jan several times, including one year when the snow was a bit thin all over, but was no worse in LG than lots of other places.

If you MUST book in advance, and at New Year there's not much argument about that, you just have to accept the risks. Go low, and maybe not get such good snow, or go high, and risk high winds, bone-shivering low temperatures and days of lift closure if there is big snowfall. With kids, especially, I'd avoid the highest places at that cold, dark, time of the year.

Les Gets is a very good resort; just too many Brits. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why all this negativity on Tignes.
I learnt to ski at Tignes and spent my next week there also.
I thought it was great as a beginner. The ski tranquil area between tignes and vdi is superb. Loads of good blues on the other side of tignes.
My favourite resort by a long way.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tspill,
Then for an excursion you can go down to VDI (cable car if you can't do the face) and up the Solaise. Another fantastic areas for lesser skiers.
Maybe we should just keep quiet about Tignes and keep the crowds down? Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy