Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets, La Rosiere or Tignes – Which one?

Poster: A snowHead
Having narrowed the options we have found ourselves the following resorts with ideal accommodation, location, childcare and resort offerings.

Les Gets
La Rosiere
Tignes

I was just interested to hear the thoughts of any members that have been to one or more of these Ski Resorts.

We are a group of beginners on greens to improvers enjoying the blue runs. We will be there next New Year. Putting the accommodation and childcare needs to one side, which would you go back to or recommend and why?

Mike.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Gets sounds the dream ticket out of those three, I would say.

Disclaimer, I have not been to Tignes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike-H, Espace Killy (Tignes) is perhaps best saved for when you're all happy on reds.

Les Gets might well be suitable - although New Year is very early in the season for such a low lying resort (no worries this of course!)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 11-01-12 16:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've only been to Tignes out of those 3 but I wouldn't say you'd get the best from it so would choose one of the other 2.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Gets. Lots of great terrain for the green and blue run skiers. Good selection of ski schools. Great on mountain food.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes for me
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Gets would be good for ski schools and child care - have you looked at Ski Famille? Wish they had been around when ours were small!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd agree with red27 about Tignes, although the Palafour lift out of Tignes Le Lac provides access to quite a few cruisey blues. As mentioned elsewhere, La Ros may be a little too restricted unless you progress during the week to reds (they're mostly quite wide and, with a couple of exceptions, not that hard). So, perhaps Les gets is the answer.....but I haven't been there (yet).

Whereabouts in Tignes are you looking - there are 4-5 main areas in Tignes from below to above the lake, so I suppose where you might be staying should be considered before accepting or writing off the resort.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Les Gets. Lots of great terrain for the green and blue run skiers. Good selection of ski schools. Great on mountain food.
Agreed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For Tignes don't forget the area between Tignes and Val D'Isere. Lots of greens and blues. Download on the Aeroski in the evenings.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think Tignes is a bit tough for beginners/early intermediates, so I'd pick one of the other two.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LesGets would fit the bill but it's relativly low so not as reliable as the others for snow conditions at that time of the season. It was good this year though...
LaRos' has better snow record given it's height. Blue runs there are good beginer runs but would get tiresome if you don't progress to trying the odd red... then you can get to Italy.
Tignes good snow record but not been so won't comment beyond that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not done la Rosiere but out LG and Tignes, I'd go to LG - nice little resort, access to Morzine (and the rest of the PDS if you fancy even more runs) and Mont Chery in Les Gets is amazing when there's powder. LG is a nice little town with enough food and drink places to keep you happy without it being too buzzing. Lots of beginner runs and a really nice selection of blues. The lift system is good too, with not many ropey, slow chairlifts. The Nyon area down into Morzine has some nice tree runs for when the weather closes in but it's not like Tignes, which is very exposed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, That is why i like it
red 27, This is one of my concerns. If snow is poor next year am I right in thinking we are b*ggered for skiing? I can't see any easy way to get higher from the piste map.
Perhaps La Ros is the answer. Snow sure (ish), some blues to get us started and some reds to progress to.
Piccadilly, Tignes map looks quite interesting for runs but it sounds like the voice of experience may be right.
Mike3000, True looks like a nice little practice area at top of the lift, but I guess I do not know whatteh return blues are like for the greenies amongst us. FlyingStantoni,
paulio, The dream ticket- Only 11 months and about 20 days until the dream becomes reality.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike-H, haven't been to Tignes. I'm a bit biased towards Les Gets but have been there for quite a few weeks over New Year and it has been ridiculously busy for the last three especially Sad
La Rosiere is going to be a little less risky for snow and I think it's a good resort to go from blues to reds (of which there are plenty of nice & wide to practice on as mentioned above). We stayed in Les Eucherts area which was lovely and quiet, ski in/ski out, and a pleasant walk through woods to get into the main village if you wanted but has own shops, restaurants, bowling etc anyway.

When you have reached intermediate status wink you might find La Rosiere slightly 'samey' - then you can go over to La Thuile every day or head for Les Gets Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mike-H, I don't think anyone has mentioned yet the Le Ros is mainly south facing therefore sunny, so this should be considered too.

I've skiied in all 3 but only stayed in Tignes and Le Ros. You won't get the best out of Tignes but if you're more Blues than greens you'll be fine. Le Ros if a nice little resort and fine if you don't mind doing the same blues over-otherwise I fond the lift system lacking for that sort of terrian-having the option of a trip to Italy makes it more than big enough.

I'm also pre-programmed on any thread to automatically say have you considered Austria? Toofy Grin
snow report
And I'm pre-programmed to say, does it absolutely HAVE to be New Year? always one of the busiest weeks and often one of the least snowy.
latest report
and I'd agree with the votes for Les Gets.
snow report
Grizwald, Lack of catered chalets.
pam w, OH is a teacher
If I were in lg and no snow would there be buses to other resorts?
latest report
Quote:

OH is a teacher

Go at Easter. Easter is early in 2013. Depending on when your school holidays are, you could go last week of March. But even first week of April should still be plenty of good skiing, prices will be far lower, it's not French school holidays, the days are longer, the snow is usually deeper. For an Easter holiday there's a stronger argument for Tignes.
snow report
Went new year before to la plagne 1800. Loved going away after Xmas.
snow report
Mike-H, you're not quite b*ggered, but you will need to haul ass across to Avoriaz (reliable cover) which is not a particularly easy trip unless you have motor transport to the Ardent gondola.

Tignes is certainly a better bet re snow conditions and if you have to book well in advance may be better for peace-of-mind reasons, although as seen this year it's no place to be in a storm...

Have to say I've not been to La Ros so can't comment on that.

Tough call Twisted Evil
snow conditions
pam w, Also that means we could go twice Smile
ski holidays
I've been twice to La Rosiere first week of Jan (ie cheap week). Had good snow both times - and the south facing aspect is nice at that time of year, even though it can become a problem later in the season. I think it's a good place for earlyish skiers and I believe from recent reports on SHs that there is some good ski tuition available too - really, that's the key issue for beginners/improvers. You just need a few slopes with some decent snow on, and a good instructor.
snow conditions
Good point pam w. Thinking back to when I started, I probably did no more than the same 3 runs (blue), again and again, once I'd progressed off the beginner greens. May also be worth considering that if you don't wish to end up quite a way away from the childcare area/base i.e. many lifts/pistes/bus rides distant then, again, La Rosiere is going to fit the bill.
snow report
Mike-H wrote:
pam w, Also that means we could go twice Smile

There, now you have your answer Laughing
ski holidays
[quote="Mike-H"]Grizwald, Lack of catered chalets.

You're not looking hard enough. I'll be in Austria 3 times this season all catered chalets, 3 different resorts.
ski holidays
Mike-H, I understand the concerns about snow, but the beginner areas of LG are meadow - so easily covered. 20-30cm will get you skiing in LG, whereas most of Tignes needs a lot more (as does Avoriaz). Most years LG opens to locals at weekends before Avoriaz.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I learnt to ski in Tignes. I had excellent tuition from 9 'til close every day and we were ok, but for beginnners it's not a good choice: instructor's words not mine. I was definitely s hitting myself frequently, especially as the weather was foul.
snow report
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Mike-H, I understand the concerns about snow, but the beginner areas of LG are meadow - so easily covered. 20-30cm will get you skiing in LG, whereas most of Tignes needs a lot more (as does Avoriaz). Most years LG opens to locals at weekends before Avoriaz.

Good point. Me and the wife went at the end of March to LG one year, when snow is getting thin on the ground o to speak. We had a dump of fresh the first day but even at the end when the roads on mont cherry were bare tarmac, you could still ski down over the grass on what could have only been 10-15cm of cover, if that.
snow report
Grizwald, Ok catered chalets + childcare + toddler care + rooms suitable for cots. If anyone knows any Austrian solutions please shout.
FlyingStantoni, Great point. Thankyou.
The rest of the group are going to let me know preferences later.
latest report
Mike-H, snow concerns aside and I think well answered by FS, Les Gets completely your best option as dictated by your OP.
snow report
sorry to hijack the thread a little but please can you pass on the catered Austrian chalet details as I'm struggling to find anything ... thanks. Tor Grizwald,
ski holidays
Thanks to all for your comments. Been looking again oday. When it comes to family ski holidays in catered chalets France seems to offer the most options. Fingers crossed my friends agree on Les Gets and we get a good dumping of snow on 29 December 2012 with a few night top ups whilst there.
latest report
Quote:

a few night top ups whilst there

Mike-H, you can dream!! Very Happy
snow conditions
I've been to all 3 and would say Les Gets.
snow report
I would have to say Les Gets because I have a friend that works for Ski Famille and the set up looks really good, dont need it now as they're all grown up.
snow report
tor,

Which resorts are you looking at?
ski holidays
At your level, the quantity of snow is almost irrelevant, as there will almost always be enough artifical snow. So whether New Year or March makes no difference. By the time of your second week next year, though, this will no longer be the case.

Tignes has the most amazing Ski Tranquille area at the top of the Aeroski, where you can have green skiers skiing next to red "off piste" within feet of each other - could be useful depending on how you all come on. (It is a gondola ride to and from it, but I think it's worth it.) I haven't been to the other two resorts, but I'd certainly consider Tignes as it's higher up and you've less risk of rain that early in the season.

I know it's not answering the question... but have you thought of Alpe d'Huez which I think has the most wonderful variety for beginners, lots of it straight into the resort.
ski holidays
agree Tignes not best for beginners - even the blues are mostly "tough-ish blues" (e.g. Palafour is quite steep up at the top - though being wide it's not too bad). Also think about the littluns: the altitude of Tignes (even at resort level) is between 1850m and 2150m; ours (as <1yr old) struggled to sleep for the first few days, and lower altitude base may be more comfortable for them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy