Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt - How Expensive is It?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I went to Zermatt in 2010, so like a few replies on here, my views may be a bit out of date.

In a nutshell, I didn't find it to be any more expensive than either Meribel or Ischgl (both of which I visited in 2011). It's not cheap either, just not particularly expensive!

Here's a few places that we enjoyed, and which also seemed to be good value:

Lunch on the mountain:
Fluhalp (off piste 19, Rothorn-Gant), good food and amazing views
http://www.fluhalp-zermatt.ch/cms/output.php?id=92
Gandegghutte (off piste 74, under Klein Matterhorn cable car). Looks like a council house, but good homely food in cosy surroundings
Riffelberg self service (at Riffelberg Hotel, half way up Gornergrat), only self service we ate at, was good quality.
Chalet Etoile (off piste 28, above Plan Maison, Cervinia), slightly more expensive, but the best value choice for a proper gourmet lunch. This was the best lunch of the holiday, even better than the more expensive Zum See and Chez Vrony (in my opinion)

Dinner in resort:
The Pipe: really nice 'fusion food', weird but excellent things like ostrich and antelope. Has relocated since we visited, but still owned by the same people
http://www.chakralounge.com/
The Stockhorn Grill: Traditional grilled meats over an open fire, amazing steaks
Whymperstube: Traditional Swiss place, really nice cheese and meat fondue

What I would say about Zermatt is the following. I've now been on 7 ski holidays, and Zermatt is at the very top of the list of places I'd go back to. It was a brilliant holiday from start to finish. The skiing's excellent, and the resort is amazing. The whole area is ridiculously scenic and picturesque, just make sure you have plenty room on your cameras memory card!!

If you need any other info, just give me a shout and I'll try and help Very Happy Here's a wee photo to get you in the mood!

On the Gornergrat, Zermatt
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks - Great pic
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
leedssteve wrote:

The worst value in Zermatt is to be found in the self service mountain restaurants, offering obscene prices for shoddy sausage/rosti etc - I personally wouldn't bother - get a pizza in Cervina or make a pack-up and ski more. Make the most of breakfast, you've got food paid for in the evening. Have fun

I've generally found Alpine self service mountain restaurants to be not that great, but I would say the ones in Zermatt are among the best. The chips at Trockener Steg were voted best ever by our group and you could get a chicken fillet cooked to order and reasonably priced. Not haute cuisine, but pretty good. I don't think any of the self service places I've been to in France came close.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No list of Zermatt restaurants would be complete without this trendy new hangout Smile :
http://www.zermattbubble.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were there in 2009 while friends were in Meribel. The prices we paid for food and drink were consistently 20-30% lower than their experience in the Three Valleys, but the Swiss Franc has since moved adversely compared with the Euro. Taxis, though, were both breathtakingly expensive and extraordinarily uncomfortable.

We didn't spend much money because we had a half board deal. A decent heavy-duty Apfel Strudl or equivalent sufficed for lunch most days - loads of calories with an instant energy hit from the sugar and slow-release energy from the fat make it an almost perfect skier's snack. Quick to serve, too, so hardly any skiing time wasted Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Marksoverign, add the Papperla pub for Apres, on the church road just over the river. Drop skis off at hotel go straight there. Live band on from 5pm. We are back in Zermatt on Feb 4th. If you get to the papperla, look out for a very good looking bald, greying 50 year old with a Blonde (the wife), dancing like a 15 year old, - that will be me. Its a great place, - Papperla and Zermatt. Enjoy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
twoodwar wrote:
Marksoverign, add the Papperla pub for Apres, on the church road just over the river. Drop skis off at hotel go straight there. Live band on from 5pm. We are back in Zermatt on Feb 4th. If you get to the papperla, look out for a very good looking bald, greying 50 year old with a Blonde (the wife), dancing like a 15 year old, - that will be me. Its a great place, - Papperla and Zermatt. Enjoy

We're out there on the 5th Feb - So i'll look out for you - mind you it sounds like we were seperated at birth as im 49 also bald also going grey! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
See you in the papperla! Look out for mad Norwegians bearing shot glasses. I lost a day last year, (still managed to ski to Italy, but dont remember much).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're there from the 3rd march for a week, following on from a week in verbier Very Happy
Switzerland may be expensive but its quite good value too. That is, I've vivid memories from each day of my only other holiday there, which just seem to stand out more than other places! Must be that pointy rock there, makes the views from the mountain restaurants make me overlook the bill Shocked

See you in papperia.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just back from Zermatt, 1 day of snow and 5 of blue skies. I didn't think the skiing is the best but the lunches are good. I thought it was better value for the quality than the 3V. Had a great lamb & rosemary sausage cooked on an open fire at Grunsee washed down with draught beer - the price was fair. Coffee stops were half the price on the Cervinia side - so make that your round. Had a couple of long lunches alfresco in the sun in Italy complete with an inexpensive bottle of chianti.
We passed on the Chicken hut apres and had chalet board so didn't have too much extra expense. Except Our one dinner out with wine fairly ordainary and expensive @ CHF150 for 2. The live music at the Paperla was good and no pressure to rush your beer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt is pricey but, IMHO, good value- we were staying in a 4* hotel last January and the B&B cost was more than I care to recall. We had fabulous lunches at Chez Vrony and also over on the Cervinia side- Plan Maison I think. There is a waiter service restaurant next to the self service place on the piste- thoroughly recommend the waiter served restaurant- steak tartare prepared at the table, great wines (from less than EUR20 a bottle). Ski pass is expensive in Zermatt (I believe the international pass is the most expensive 6 day pass anywhere). There's a good Japanese restaurant we went to as well (not cheap, but good).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy