Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Lift Pass Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello from a Newbie. Just a little advice needed. We are a family of 6, with daughters aged 18,16,14 & 9. We are going to stay in Chamonix from 5/4/2012. I have the accomodation sorted being Les Ecrins du Solaine, flights into Geneva Booked, transfer via Mountain Dropoffs being organised, Ski & Boot hire through Sanglards, speaking to BASS about some Family Lessons. So i'm pretty much sorted, except the lift Passes, Ive only skied in Bulgaria about 7 years ago so far from being even a good intermediate, i can just about parallel if you know what i mean, my OH was last in the snow about 96, and the kids have never had a winter holiday. We only want to ski the local Chamonix area, so i suppose the Chamonix pass will suffice, however is there a better option, as we may want to go to the top of Mont Blanc & do some sightseeing, just incase they dont get on well with the Skiing. I have seen on The Chamonix Destination Website that they do a Family Pass where a child goes free. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if there is anything else i should know, dont be shy. Many Thanks James
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
grandunion,

A warm welcome to Snowheads Very Happy

Quote:

we may want to go to the top of Mont Blanc & do some sightseeing

I'm hoping this is a "slip of the tongue" and not a serious statement of intent. Puzzled

There is no lift to the top of Mont Blanc - you have to climb. Maybe you are referring to the Aiguille Du Midi cable car? Assuming you only wanted to do that once I suspect it will be cheaper to buy a ticket for that individually. As you say your skiing needs should be catered for by the Chamonix Le Pass option. Yes I think if you get a pass for the parents and the 9yo the 14yo will go free. The 16 and 18yo must pay full price.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the welcome. I told you i was a newbie.. You are 100% correct we intend to get the cable car up for the stunning views. Which could be interesting as 2 of us suffer from vertigo. Yeh i know, why skiing then, well kill or cure i believe. Thanks for the info.. Smile Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
grandunion,
There are several areas within the Chamonix valley with busses in between them as far as I know you cannot get seperate passes for the individual areas. Chamonix Le pass covers all these areas except the Aiguille cable car see above and the Grand Montets cable car which only serves balck and off piste runs so this should serve you. However if you are having a few lessons on the nursery slopes sometimes you can get cheap passes for the first day or so, I would contact the ski school you are using to find out their recommendations. You are going late in the season and the best skiing will often be on the higher north facing slopes at the far end of the valley.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grandunion
Very much covered by the other posts –

There is a nice green/blue run at Flagere for novice/beginners that you go round and round in a loop, nice and wide and very forgiving.

Catch a bus to Le Prez and take the cable car up to the first station, at the top go right and you are straight onto the said piste.

Have fun Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks again for the input. Tbar, i have done a bit more research & i believe it is the Chamonix Le Pass . I definately wont need the ''Wider'' area pass..Bristol Bob, cheers for that, its these little nuggets & recommendations that can make a difference. Cheers Smile Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
grandunion, Aiguille du Midi has stunning views but a cheaper alternative included on the Chamonix Pass is the restaurant at top of Brevent which has IMHO the best views of Mt Blanc and the surrounding peaks and glaciers. Great for a long lunch o a sunny April day!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the restaurant at top of Brevent which has IMHO the best views of Mt Blanc and the surrounding peaks and glaciers.

+1 - I went there with a Chamonix-based friend, the first time I'd ever skied up there. Terrific. However. The Brevent/Flegere area might be a bit too challenging for a family of pretty well beginners.

I think I'd fix up the lessons with BASS - for the whole week if you can - then get their advice on good places for you to visit, once you've begun to get your ski legs. If you have just a couple of lessons then unless the girls are exceptionally talented they'll still be feeling very wobbly indeed - which would probably mean you'd be better off in Le Tour or Les Houches than Brevent/Flegere. Snow cover could be a bit of an issue.

The Aiguille du Midi is more of a challeng for those with claustrophobia than those with vertigo, I'd say. They don't 'arf cram you in those cars, if it's busy. If you suffer from vertigo rather than claustrophobia, aim to be in the middle of the crush and don't look out the window. wink The lift goes incredibly quickly; takes no time to get up there (two stages, shuffle round in between). Costs a bomb but it's amazing up there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
grandunion, Aiguille du Midi has stunning views but a cheaper alternative included on the Chamonix Pass is the restaurant at top of Brevent which has IMHO the best views of Mt Blanc and the surrounding peaks and glaciers. Great for a long lunch o a sunny April day!

And another +1, the du Midi is spectacular but will come in expensive for a full family just for sightseeing. Another sightseeing option, and good 1/2 day out at least, is the rack and pinion train up to Montevers to see the Mer de Glace. They may be closed in April however the Ice caves are up there along with a couple of small (make that tiny) museums showing wildlife and local history. Take a picnic and you'll hear rock and ice cracking and may even see some rockfalls!

There is a small saving by buying a week pass however I/we often buy day passes as the montevers train is not included in Le Pass and is therefore a day off the slopes and should you use the nursery slopes (Planards is ok for a full first day for the family to find their feet in a safe environment where the family is never far from each other, even the 9 year old should be fine as long as with one of the older teenagers) your paying more than double than is needed (planards 20ish euro, Le Pass 42 euro).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Planards is ok for a full first day for the family to find their feet in a safe environment

Would it normally have enough snow down there, in April?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Much appreciated everyone. without sounding negative, i reckon the girls will probably spend a couple of days on Planards before venturing farther afield. it will be their first time in ''proper'' snow. I am talking to the people who run the apartment & they are saying hire from Intersport as its 20metres from our apartment & there is a SkiSchool located there also. I have been looking at the BASS & they dont seem to run a school but more private group lessons at abt £85 per person for 2x3hr. Which seems fine im just concerned they might need more training. I could extend it i guess?? cheers J
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
grandunion, Just a note about Bass Chamonix - the level of instruction is very good at all levels - people involved are also involved in instructor training for both IASI and BASI and are involved in the running of both bodies, can't go wrong with them - enjoy.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Planards is ok for a full first day for the family to find their feet in a safe environment

Would it normally have enough snow down there, in April?

I thought it was cannoned snow but you've got me wondering now! Obviously if it is it'll have a massive base however I'm not sure! Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
grandunion, Don't let your first experience of Chamonix be your view of 'ski-resorts' as it's very different to most places. Lots of people love the high mountain challenge/environment/attitude and are prepared to put up with the hassle of travelling around the different areas for those challenges. Others would rather cruise around a place with 200km of less challenging-linked pistes where you can ski to/from the front door of your apartment.

Welcome to snowHead and enjoy the trip - why not update this thread when you're back with what worked / didn't what you liked or didn't.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy