Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids Skis - Reviews and experience

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What it says above.

There is a thread for general discussion of kids skis and related issues here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46977, but I thought we needed an actual thread to review kids skis:

We might not be able to comment on how they ski - unless we have kids clever enough to be able to tell and then tell us, but we can comment on cost, perceived build quality/longevity, binding type, what possible age/height/build/ski experience relating to the child used them. So here are some suggested headings - or add your own, I would suggest keeping to one ski type per posting and then if we want to it will make them easier to index later:

Name of manufacturer/ski name/year if known:
Length - ski dimensions:
Ski area used successfully on - piste/park/off piste etc.:
Topsheet design ('cos kids like pictures and it helps if folks are trying to find them to buy):
Cost - state is new bought or second-hand:
Perceived build quality/longevity/problems in this area:
Binding type - adjustable or not?:
age/height/build/ski experience relating to the child used them(if you want to state it):
If we know - how did they ski - how did our kids find them:
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry for the delay Megamum,

Current:

Name of manufacturer/ski name/year if known: Volki P60 Junior Racer
Length - ski dimensions: 110, cut 89/65/103
Ski area used successfully on - piste/park/off piste etc.: All - park was mainly straight jumps
Topsheet design ('cos kids like pictures and it helps if folks are trying to find them to buy): Fairly non kid like as it happens. http://www.sklep.sportrent.pl/narty-juniorskie/39-volkl-p60-junior-racer-jr-red.html
Cost - state is new bought or second-hand: Bought second hand for 50 Euros from in-laws local ski shop in southern Germany, ready serviced
Perceived build quality/longevity/problems in this area: No probs noted
Binding type - adjustable or not?: Adjustable Marker Junior Motion (set to 2)
age/height/build/ski experience relating to the child used them(if you want to state it): 6yo - 6th week skiing - fairly tall
If we know - how did they ski - how did our kids find them: It was his second week on these ski's and he seems to get on very well with them. Especially this latest trip did quite a bit of off piste.

Name of manufacturer/ski name/year if known: Blizzard Blizzi Race
Length - ski dimensions: 90 long, cut 100/65/84
Ski area used successfully on - piste/park/off piste etc.: Piste and off piste
Topsheet design ('cos kids like pictures and it helps if folks are trying to find them to buy): Very wizzy http://www.mietski.com/en/blizzard/blizzi
Cost - state is new bought or second-hand: Good quality second hand from same source as above. Again 50 Euros
Perceived build quality/longevity/problems in this area: Seem very good.
Binding type - adjustable or not?: Adjustable Blizzard IQ4.5 (set to 1.5)
age/height/build/ski experience relating to the child used them(if you want to state it): 4yo girl, tall, 4th (and a bit) week skiing
If we know - how did they ski - how did our kids find them: Christmas week was the first one on the longer length - stepping up from 67cm long ski's - and after a day or two was flying.

Prior to that they were both skiing Rossignol Kidi The Cow ski's like the ones halfway down this page http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/kid_ski_hire.html with Baby Comp bindings. They were 93 and 67 long respectively. Sourced from the same place - I think they were 30 Euros second hand.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Name of manufacturer/ski name/year if known: K2 Juvy - 2009 (I think)
Length - ski dimensions: 119 and 129cm true twin-tips
Ski area used successfully on - piste/park/off piste etc.: On and Off piste, skier cross, half pipe, moguls, very simple park jumps etc
Topsheet design ('cos kids like pictures and it helps if folks are trying to find them to buy): Cobra's - [url=http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p24856-juvy-130.html][img]
Cost - state is new bought or second-hand: I didn't get them, but they were purchased new and I think were about £150 each set
Perceived build quality/longevity/problems in this area: Stood up to the abuse of a 7-9 and 9-11yr old for a 4-5 weeks, top sheet still in tack and skis very serviceable for second hand use following that.
Binding type - adjustable or not?: Marker 7.0 adjustable bindings
age/height/build/ski experience relating to the child used them(if you want to state it): 7-9 and 9-11 yrs, lightly built kids skiing the whole mountain
If we know - how did they ski - how did our kids find them: The kids loved them to bits, They are looking at their new Fischer RC4's (Juvy replacements) with a slightly jaundiced eye - because kids seem to ski on whatever they are given it's not easy to convince them that there is more to skis than a top sheet Laughing

We had some Dynastars previous to the Juvy's if I can find out what they were I'll post that too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Name of manufacturer/ski name/year if known: Dynastar Team Speed 65 - 2013 (?)
Length - ski dimensions: 130cm 85-65-99 12m
Ski area used successfully on - piste/park/off piste etc.: Piste, very simple park jumps
Topsheet design ('cos kids like pictures and it helps if folks are trying to find them to buy): Pretty neutral, plain blue and red writing – will post photo. Hopefully neutral enough to be unisex for number two later.
Cost - state is new bought or second-hand: Bought new but on sale for NZD100 (approx GBP50, bindings NZD130 (approx GBP65). Not bad price for out here.
Perceived build quality/longevity/problems in this area: Only tried for a few days on indoor slope and terrain park so far. Seem well built. Some superficial surface wear on bindings and appropriate scratches on the bases from these table things they slide over (arrrgh).
Binding type - adjustable or not?: Look Nova Team 7 adjustable bindings. These have long tails on heel piece release so less force for kids needed to step out.
age/height/build/ski experience relating to the child used them(if you want to state it):8 ½ yrs now, 140 cm tall, 35 kg, 3 weeks
If we know - how did they ski - how did our kids find them: Thinks they are great and seems to ski well in them. But what 8 yr old wouldn’t love a ski called “Team Speed”, it all in the name. Seems to be a good ski for where he is and for a couple of years with any luck. Will look to edit when more days on it.

Picture

First week of use - top sheets scratching up quite a bit. They were a glossy smooth finish so imagine they show scratches by design.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Name of manufacturer/ski name/year if known: Elan Lil' Magic 2012 (I'm told)
Length - ski dimensions: 90cm, no other specs on it
Ski area used successfully on - piste/park/off piste etc.: Oddly just On piste so far.
Topsheet design ('cos kids like pictures and it helps if folks are trying to find them to buy): Pink and purple flowers and squiggles, and pink bases, loverly. See pic here -
Cost - state is new bought or second-hand: Second hand, for approx GBP 100 after 2 seasons, probably too much for 2nd hand but they are PINK!!!!
Perceived build quality/longevity/problems in this area: Will report after more use but bases dont look bad for two seasons use and top sheets seem robust (better than the Dynastar Team Speeds above!).
Binding type - adjustable or not?: Elan 4.5 EL (adjustable)
age/height/build/ski experience relating to the child used them(if you want to state it): 4 year old, just beginning, length a bit on long side for her at the mo as she started skiing last year on 80cm but bought for future seasons.
If we know - how did they ski - how did our kids find them: They are PINK and belong to a 4yr old girl, they are loved. Nuf said.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought my eldest some 139cm K2 Juvys at the start of this season. He's started snowboarding aswell but used them for the best part of two weeks. He appears to have got on with them very well and he's skied the whole mountain on them. The Volki P60s have been passed onto his younger sister. Will look to get some 150cms for the boy next year and she will take the Juvys. She is only a bit shorter than him anyway. The P60s looked very small for her on the Easter ski trip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Name of manufacturer/ski name/year if known: head Jon Olsson - wide waist with small upturned tail not true twin tips r6 and r8
Length - ski dimensions: 90 & 100
Ski area used successfully on - piste/park/off piste etc.: all
Topsheet design ('cos kids like pictures and it helps if folks are trying to find them to buy): blue and white - boring - so they were covered in stickers - strange, pink objects for my daughter, bleeding skulls for my son. Stereotyping? Not in our house!
Cost - state is new bought or second-hand: absolutely hammered ex rentals
Perceived build quality/longevity/problems in this area: bombproof
Binding type - adjustable or not?: highly adjustable colour coded Tyrolia -adjust with small levers - clear forward pressure indicator
age/height/build/ski experience relating to the child used them(if you want to state it): very experienced - 4/6
If we know - how did they ski - how did our kids find them: excellent skis - skied very hard by them - survived it all - serviced up brilliantly - tyrolia bindings mangle boots if not adjusted to be absolutely spot on - known problem
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Name of manufacturer/ski name/year if known: Armada Bantam
Length - ski dimensions: 115 - 103-68-91 r9
Ski area used successfully on - piste/park/off piste etc.: all - incredibly versatile, carve brilliantly but also are twintip - sensible waist for small ones
Topsheet design ('cos kids like pictures and it helps if folks are trying to find them to buy): what's cooler than monochrome genghis Khan?
Cost - state is new bought or second-hand: new
Perceived build quality/longevity/problems in this area: excellent very tough
, very light
Binding type - adjustable or not?: adjustable salomon c5 - big problems with compacted snow in rear binding - known problem - need to keep rear binding clear of ice and snow monitoring it through day - shouldn't happen - dangerous since causes prerelease
age/height/build/ski experience relating to the child used them(if you want to state it): very experienced age 9 130cms all mountain skier
If we know - how did they ski - how did our kids find them: exceptionally good - 'keep up dad...'
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Name of manufacturer/ski name/year if known: Head iSL team 2011 to 2015.
Length - ski dimensions:
LENGTH SHOVEL WAIST TAILS RADIUS

151 111 64 97 11,8
146 111 63 96 11,0
141 110 63 96 10,3
136 110 63 95 9,6
Ski area used successfully on - piste/park/off piste etc.: Piste; off piste; Bumps; Park and race track, snow and Plastic.
Topsheet design ('cos kids like pictures and it helps if folks are trying to find them to buy):
Cost - state is new bought or second-hand: New 399GBP.
Perceived build quality/longevity/problems in this area: Fantastic bits of kit; very solid; Head appear to put thinker edges on their kids skis. No problems at all. Stonking bits of kit.
Binding type - adjustable or not?: Head FreeFlex Pro 11 (DIN 3-11) on pre-drilled race plate.
age/height/build/ski experience relating to the child used them(if you want to state it):
136 2nd season racing 11 and 12. Training once a week and 4 weeks on snow
141,146, 151 2nd and 3rd season racing. (18 months!) 13 and just turned 14! Continued to train weekly and now 6 weeks on snow; starting to ski very well; will be better than me soon!
If we know - how did they ski - how did our kids find them: My son loves them! And I love them because they are very robust (as you would expect from a full on race ski)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now purchased some new 2014 Juvys 129 for my daughter from glisshop.

2014 version cheaper and has different graphics so not clashing with her brother!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy