Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Obergurgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have flights booked in April to Munich for a short break in Obergurgl

Land at Munich Sunday 15 April landing at 10:15

Return on Thirsday 19 April taking off from Munich at 21:55

Idea is to ski Sunday afternoon and as much of Thursday as possible.

Plan is to hire a car to do the transfer

RAC route planner says drive should take 3 hours

Seems optimistic having done the drive from Innsbruck to Obergurgl in the past

Have read the Winter Tyre Germany/Austria issues on the forum and can resolve that but am concerned re traffic conditions -there are various posts suggesting the German to Austria road can be a pain

Anyone with any thoughts about traffic at these times of the day and year ?

If it's likely to be awful, any alternative travel options -I can switch the outbound flight to Innsbruck, but the car hire costs excalate taking the car back to a different location. Cannot switch the inbound flights from Munich.

Could fly to and hire to and from Innsbruck Airport and get the train to Muncih airport on Thurday ? Is this really practical ?

Welcome any thoughts
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have driven from Munch to Kappl (couple of valleys along from Obergurgl) took 4 hours just to get to Innsbruck - it was a Saturday just after NY mind you. But vowed never again to try and save some money by not flying to Innsbruck. That said, your flight times and days sound fine to avoid the mass traffic jams entering Austria
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blastfromthepast, your flight times are actually quite good for travelling. You are arriving after the day traffic sets off and travelling against the main flow of returning traffic. That weekend is the end of the Easter holidays for German schools, so everything will mostly be travelling in the opposite direction as you.

The easiest route is to follow the A92 from the airport to its junction with the A99 and follow signs to Stuttgart/Garmisch/Lindau. If the weather is quiet, you could go over the Garmisch (A95) route but currently that is blocked due to the Zirlerberg being closed and also the road is closed because of avalanche danger at Mittenwald. In April you should not have any problems.

If you have bad weather you may just as well stay on the A96 to Lindau and come into Austria via Bregenz and the Arlberg route. Altenatively you can come off the A96 at Memmingen and pick up the A7 south to Reutte. this drops you over the Fern Pass and into Imst, just a couple of exits away from the Ötztal exit.

Coming home you will not have too many problems other than the HGV traffic being on the road.

BTW in late April, you can risk going without winter tyres as the requirement is only applicable from October to Easter (O bis O in German).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski, Samerberg Sue, Thanks for the replies-much appreciated. The route planner has me ging down the E45/E60 to Innsbruck -presume there is a goog reason for not trying this route ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have driven this twice now. The first time mid March, (departed Munich on Tues, returned Sat) moderate traffic and clear roads, took around 4 hours each way. The second time end of February, (Saturday to Saturday) a very different trip, Travelling to Obergurgl the traffic was heavy (loads of dutch on the road for their half term), roads clear, took well over 5 hours. The return trip to Munich was a nightmare, high winds and snow meant driving conditions were appalling. We left Obergurgl at 5 am for a mid afternoon flight and missed our flight! The journey taking nearly double the time, the weather was extreme, but a few points to consider: worth checking exactly what countries are on school hols / how far is the car hire drop off point from Munich airport (from memory ours was at least a 15 min drive away + wait time for a driver) / and allow plenty of time for your return trip from Ob. If you're considering flying into Innsbruck, check out the Oztal Shuttle http://www.obergurgl.com/main/EN/GG/WI/orte/anreise_oetztalshuttle/index.html it's a good, cost effective transfer if the times work. Enjoy Obergurgl, we were last there at Christmas, fantastic snow and the Nederhutte was as fantastic as always!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Blastfromthepast, the E45/E60 route is the route that takes you via Innsbruck ( also known as the A8 / A93 / A12 ). For getting to Oetztal / Obergurgl it's probably not a bad option from Munich Airport.
I definitely would not drive over Lindau/Bregenz, that would be quite a long way round. The route over the A7 is a possibility, as is the route over the A95 down to Garmisch and over via Mittenwald or over Fernpass to Imst and then left to Oetztal. Samerberg Sue dislikes the Fernpass option, and I have had horrific experiences going via Mittenwald... All depends on which way the Dutch happen to be driving on that day.

There's not an awful lot in it to be honest!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steilhang, Nothing against the Fern Pass route - I use it quite a lot, but I never use it if there is a holiday anywhere in the Netherlands! Laughing

I think it is the best route to be honest for the OP as his travel times should avoid the worst of the weekend hold-ups.

Do you know that the Garmisch - Innsbruck road is also difficult as a result of a landslide in late Nov/early Dec at Scharnitz? That has a temporary fix which will have to be sorted properly before next year!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, Nope wasn't aware of the landslide problem at Scharnitz. Thanks. Will avoid at all cost!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy