Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nastiest impact a skier could land?

Poster: A snowHead
This set of 8 slides is not for the squeamish. US freeskier Tanner Hall attempts an incredibly difficult 'switch 900' - take off backwards, rotate 2.5 times - for a new ski movie 'Teddy Bear Crisis'. For this stunt he chooses Chad's Gap, a 120ft wide jump in the back-country above Alta in Utah.

It doesn't quite go to plan. Read the captions ... respect!

The slide show is from website www.skiing.com (Skiing magazine).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ummmm . . . you're missing the link to the 8 slides.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ponder, sorry - should have explained - just click the blue hyperlinked text "go to plan".
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ouch Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Isn't that Tanner "I'm the best skier in the universe" Hall?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More info on Tanner Hall in this TGR thread .....

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26313&highlight=tanner+hall
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How do you remove boots from someone with2 badly broken ankles Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, very carefully.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How do you remove boots from someone with2 badly broken ankles ?

I'd guess with a saw or failing that, lots of painkillers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anybody know if Tanner recovered or did that crash end his career?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jeeeeeeees im wincing something shocking for him! Can you imagine not knowing this was going on and whilst skiing a half mile away hearing the mention blood curdling scream!? Shock

Adam
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've known one or two ski photographers over the years. There are huge hazards, not only to the skier but the photographer.

Mark Shapiro, who I think is still hanging out in Verbier and has photographed top skiers for decades, had his bald head sliced by a ski edge due to a miscalculated landing by a skier who his lens was pointed at.

There are big ethical issues - because of all the money involved and the split of it between skier and photographer - as to how a stunt is agreed. Coercion by the photographer, combined with adrenaline from the skier ... can have consequences. Photographers and filmmakers therefore try not to coerce, unless they want to see the skier in 'slide 8'. It has to be purely the skier's gamble, hopefully under no chemical influences.

But think of the financial carrots being dangled in front of them ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was kit buggying one day at Benone Beach. There is a large concrete apron where cars enter the beach. One of the other guys was trying hard to bring a kite down during a squall, but it lifted him a good 12 ft into the before he let go and then he fell onto the concrete like a sack of poo-poo. Broke 2 ankles and 1 wrist. I will never forget the look on his face or the scream he let out. Sad

The guy made a full recovery and is now one of Irelands top kite buggiers. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Russell wrote:
ouch Shocked

Slight understatement!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
buns wrote:
the mention blood curdling scream!?

Tanner Hall is a big baby.
ski holidays
davidof, and a big idiot, to boot. Wouldn't get me trying something dumb where there's a good risk of serious injury.

(By the by, seems like such a waste of life to waste one's chances so early on in life. Why not at least wait till you're so old that you've not go long to live anyway, and THEN do stupid stuff. But I guess young idiots and too young and idiotic to see the logic....)
ski holidays
Manda wrote:

(By the by, seems like such a waste of life to waste one's chances so early on in life. Why not at least wait till you're so old that you've not go long to live anyway, and THEN do stupid stuff. But I guess young idiots and too young and idiotic to see the logic....)

but older people tend to realise how precious life is value it a lot more.

TH is a brilliant skier with some special skills but I wouln't want to encourage anyone to huck 30 meter cliffs or do stunts like this. Even the best are going to get things wrong. I think it is Antoine Diet, younger brother of Thomas, who told me he has around 20 broken bones, and he is not even 20!
snow conditions
Good job Manda your probably no where near good enough to attempt it. Best stay in the house then theres no chance of getting seriously injured, oh actually there is?!?? Do you ski? Fair chance of serious injury in that game.

He'd already landed it twice that same day.

Nastiest crash ive seen is in yearbook when mike wilson comes up short on what would have been the biggest straight air ever, he smashed both ankles so shins came through his heels, did both acls, 3 vertabrae, punctured lung, ruptured spleen and broken thumb and still made it back to skiing before end of the season
ski holidays
davidof,

I have a video of, I think JP Auclair, in Engelberg last year, we all thought it was Shane Mckonky who was in the resort at the same time with Warren Miller.. It is from a distance and I will try and upload it when I can, but the guy is doing about 90ft. When I asked the Warren Miller crew about it they said it wasn't them, it was probably the CRAZY canadians.

Anyway if I can edit to a small enough size I will try and upload on mediazone. I believe the limit is 10mb for a vid so I will have to cut the film to bits to get it on.....

David Goldsmith,

Do you remember a guy called Tony Mcglaughlin - a kiwi- from out of Verbier as a photogtapher...some time back..?
snow report
Manda, Check with med bods here but you'll find that there are physiological changes to the brain control chemistry as you age that alters your perception of/or ability to ignore danger/fear.
snow report
... especially when you realise your time's up.

--------------
JT, certainly rings a bell. Seem to remember him being involved with a ski magazine, but that's about it.
ski holidays
yes , but these can be negated with stella.. unfortunatly co-ordination seems to suffer
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,

Yes, he did a few covers for the mags of the day and the daily mail ski show. And then I didn't see his work published anymore - good skier though.
latest report
Masque, does it improve? Or decrease. wink

If it decreases as one ages, then one's perception of common sense co-respondingly seems to increase (as does arthritis, middleaged spread, responsiblity....), thereby canceling out all the possible benefits of decreased perception of danger/fear.

Sigh.
snow report
Manda, Your perception of danger increases as you age, it has only a little to do with common sense and more to do with your brain chemistry. The research was reviewed in the Lancet about 9 or 10 years ago.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
ponder, sorry - should have explained - just click the blue hyperlinked text "go to plan".

Heh, just moved to a new computer, and haven't run the colour configuration on it yet Sad The link looks black to me, but it works snowHead
latest report
I guess stuff like that happens when you decide to do ridiculous things...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy