Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new driving laws for france?

Poster: A snowHead
Uk reg drivers don`t get sent French fixed camera fines at the moment.... I hope Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Link from Tom Tom site

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5560/~/is-the-tomtom-speed-camera-service-legal%3F

Nice to see this is different from AA
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

And the odds of getting stopped by French plod and him checking your inbuilt sat nav (which is in English) for updates in respect of speed cameras...............somewhere between zero and winning the lottery....

until you're stopped for speeding. Then, particularly if you give him any sheet, he is very likely to check everything, including your car documents and the dip things on your headlights. And if you give him any more sheet he'll do it all in French. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just seems bizarre that it is an offence to know fixed camera sites

I know where 3 are, am I now illegal Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

it is an offence to know fixed camera sites

Puzzled no it's not. France just seems to be coming into line with what's been the case in Switzerland for a long time - the world hasn't come to an end.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Looking at the Tom Tom site, and a few other forums, it would appear that having devices which have a database of fixed camera sites is illegal.

My map has them printed on, does that count? It would seem that maps are no longer allowed to include them from comments elsewhere.

Obviously you can't make it illegal to have personal knowledge

The AA claim this is not the case?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris wrote:
Obviously you can't make it illegal to have personal knowledge.

Yes you can.

It's fascism.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you print off a route from ViaMichelin, it also gives you the location of the cameras.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It would seem that maps are no longer allowed to include them from comments elsewhere.

Boris, there is to be a great burning of maps - hadn't you heard? Date not yet decided.

If I were going to a lot of trouble and expense to erect a series of cameras designed to dissuade drivers from travelling too fast there's no way I'd tell the boogers where they were. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, If reports on various motoring sites are to be believed, they have started taking down the warning signs

I fully accept that there will be some hype and misinformation. But Tom Tom have stated that having the location of speed cameras on a sat nav is now illegal. the AA disagree.

Paulio states the AA article is out of date

Now I have disabled on sat nav, I'd just like to know what the actual definitive statement is. If a DB on sat navs is now illegal, I suspect a lot of people will get caught out.

The cynic in me would say that's the idea, nice revenue earner
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is it the presence of cameras full stop on the satnav that the French coppers would check, or just the presence of French ones. Could you pursuade them that the camera listings which they would probably find were only for UK roads?

It does make you wonder if the French push this through how long it will be before it is an EU issue and the UK has to comply too? Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, Or take the French to the Euro Court!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The cynic in me would say that's the idea, nice revenue earner

Prefer revenue earner to points tbh.
Netherlands speed/RLJ cameras were clearly for revenue. Half price if you pay in 2 weeks, and a fine that's so low it's not worth the effort contesting. Once you got fined once, just sign date the prefilled acceptgiro and give it to your bank. Basically an occupational hazard there, with a camera on like every other junction.

French guys here have been hinting for a while now that the French plod had tightened the speed camera margins, because everyone drives to GPS indicated speed, not speedo indicated speed (which supposedly is often out by 10%). Could be BS. Fortunately the only bit of French autoroute I drive is Calais-Belgium, where I know there are cameras and since it's near a port, probably mobile ones too. I just make sure i'm slower than the Brit registered cars, and an indicated 130 is adequate (110 round Dunkerque).

Quote:

how long it will be before it is an EU issue and the UK has to comply too?

Don't know of any such EU directive, in which case UK won't have to comply. Of course the UK may opt to implement similar rules too, anyway. It wouldn't be the first, nor the second country in Europe to have such a law.

Breathalyser sounds dumb though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Could you pursuade them that the camera listings which they would probably find were only for UK roads?

only if they were uncommonly stupid. "Mais monsieur, il y a aussi un petit bourg en Essex qui s'appelle Annecy!"
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cstreat wrote:
Uk reg drivers don`t get sent French fixed camera fines at the moment.... I hope Toofy Grin

I think you're safe - I got flashed quite a few times by fixed cameras last year, whilst driving to St Tropez and back, and never heard anything...
latest report
Talking of camera margins, the camera midway through the tunnel coming out of Moutier issues tickets for over 73kph! (The limit is 70) The locals are not impressed and all that has been achieved is a lot of braking just before the camera! (and bad feeling)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy