Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all, got the chance a few days in Saalbach at the end of the month, worth a visit? any tips?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don Keebles, Welcome to snowHeads. Saalbach is great. The skiing is described as a circus, as you can link right round the area on reds/ blues. There is a lovely trip down to Leogang which is a blue cruise through the trees. Great schirm bars for apres. Good lift links. Top place, enjoy.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definatey worth a visit. The black under the Schattbergbahn is supposed to be really good, but was too icy when we went (that's my excuse anyway) and there is a nice 7km blue off the back of that. Good reds on Zwōlfer at Hinterglemm. The Alte Schmiede restaurant on Asitz above Leogang is a must see. The same family now has another hut there based around an old brewery.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thx guys, all booked and raring to go now
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went there about 5 years ago and it was great. even when the cloud and wind came in it was good. Smile

Should be even better now they have upgraded some of the other lifts. the 7km run is excellent. couple of night tough blacks to pick your way down and some great intermediate pistes for playing around.

Watch out for the Goats on the dance floor. NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don Keebles, If you would like a copy of a comprehensive guide to Saalbach-Hinterglemm that I've put together, covering everything - flights, transfers, skiing, apres-ski, restaurants, bars, etc. e-mail me at ratatman@aol.com

Quote:

another hut there based around an old brewery

Based on our visit to this new restaurant (the "Asitzbrau") last week, I can highly recommend it - impressive building, interesting menu, friendly service, reasonable prices. Strange though that the owners have set up in competition to their other very popular restaurant, the Alte Schmiede, which is only about 50 metres away on the opposite side of the piste.

Quote:

Should be even better now they have upgraded some of the other lifts

little_alien, The new (for this season) Bernkogel 8-seater gondola has made an enormous difference, and so has the new Reiterkogel Ost 6-seater chair. People are now much more inclined to use the Bernkogel, which has taken on a higher profile in consequence. They've spent 27 million euros on this season's improvements alone. However, if it's 5 years since you last visited I'm sure you would notice some other fairly dramatic improvements, including a new comfy chairlift up the Turmwiese nursery slopes (replacing the old T-bar) and a new (for last season) gondola to the top of Hinterglemm's floodlit piste, which has been significantly extended. In 2009 the resort was awarded the Where to Ski and Snowboard prize for "Best Ski Resort Development", having the highest proportion of fast lifts of any major ski resort in the world, and I would find it hard to believe that it's been overtaken in the last couple of years by any other resort, in view of the huge amounts they are continually spending on upgrades.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thinking of going to Saalbach on 17th March for the week. I know it's hard to say, what do you think we will be 'snow sure'?I'm just wary booking, and then finding that there is not enough snow, as it is lower than we have previously ski ed before. thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There should be plenty of snow then, and, if it's any reassurance, Mrs TT and I usually fly out to Saalbach in mid March for a couple of weeks of what has always turned out to be very enjoyable skiing - sometimes in cold, snowy weather, and at other times gloriously sunny weather. This year we are due to fly out on 18th March for a couple of weeks.
We were still skiing down to the village on the homeward pistes until the end of March last year, when, as you're probably aware, Spring came early and snow depths were depleted right across the Alps. The resort closes on 15th April, and they will aim to keep everything running until then - a realistic proposition having regard to the massive amount of snow that's fallen and the cold temperatures currently being experienced and forecast to continue. About 3 years ago I recall that they extended the season by a week (into at least mid-April) due to the copious amounts of snow.
Even in the unlikely event that last year's exceptionally warm weather were to be repeated, there is a lot more snow than usual to see them through. Also Saalbach has invested millions of euros in snow-making equipment, which covers virtually all of the main runs. Another point that is sometimes made is that Saalbach's slopes are grass-covered (rather than rocky) in summer, making them skiable with minimal snow depths.
Regarding the height of the village, I don't know where you normally ski, but Saalbach is significantly higher than many well known Austrian ski resorts, such as Mayrhofen, Kitzbuehel, Niederau, Soll, Zell am See, etc. and, since Austria is further east, you can add 50% to the height of Austrian ski resorts to find their equivalent in France (where more height is needed due to the influence of the Gulf Stream). Saalbach's height is 1,000m - an equivalent ski resort in France would be around 1500m
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks so much Tatman's Tours - looking at 2 pensions - Michaela and Enzian - both look lovely and have great reviews - location wise, which would you recommend? Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fom our knowledge of these two pensions and the nice, friendly (British) people who run them, you would find that both provide excellent accommodation, meals and hospitality. The Enzian is located at the bottom of the Schattberg mountain, overlooking the village, and very close to the Schattberg Xpress cable-car and Saalbach village. You reach it, either by skiing down the Schattberg (piste number 1/1a - see piste map on www.saalbach.com) or walking up a fairly steep driveway from the main road (Glemmtaler Landesstrasse).
The Mikaela is situated by the main road that leads from Saalbach to Hinterglemm, about a 20 minute walk (in normal shoes) from Saalbach, and very close to a ski bus stop (ski buses run at 20 minute intervals until 5.30pm, after which the less regular Nightliner bus service takes over until 11.00pm - 2.00am on Saturday nights). A blue run (34a) from the Reiterkogel leads directly to it.
We have stayed in the Mikaela about 6 years ago and enjoyed our holiday. We caught buses to access the skiing and either walked or hired taxis to get to the village in the evenings.
We haven't stayed in the Enzian but know the owners very well; we are aware that their pension enjoys a very high reputation - see Tripadvisor.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks once again Tatman's Tours - appreciate your time & help Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy