Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crevacol - Italy nr St Bernards Pass

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
1st post for me, so be gentle.
Laughing
Has anyone been to the resort of Crevacol on the Italian side of the St Bernard pass. Have trip planned in February, 1st day is a Sunday for planned skiing, wifey is a late beginner so needs to get her legs back before we hopefully progress onto La thuile/Courmayeur. Was planning to head to Pila but bit worried about the amount of Locals heading up there which would make it busy, so was thinking of Crevacol with its 3 easy blue runs which is 10mins up the road from where we are staying. Any suggestions on my idea, or would it be better to just head off to Pila and make do with a few crowds on the Sunday??
Cheers..
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Simon94, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Ironically myself and 10 mates are going to Aosta on the 12th March for 5 nights and I am really interested in the replies you get AND the experience you have there. It looks like a lovely little resort and would be perfect for a Sunday. We will be skiing Pila and Crevacol with a possible trip to La Thuile.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ha - Crevacol is a very cool little resort.
Quiet, cheap lift pass, no crowds, 2 modern lifts, good variety of terrain, fantastic Italian food, nice views of Aosta.
Highly recommended.

It faces south, so can sometimes get sun baked.
But being on the SSB pass gets alot of snow when the weather systems comes from the right direction.

We went for the off piste & tree skiing.
Drove through the tunnel from Valais after a dump from the south.
There is defiantly some good intermediate level piste skiing there (Just don't have any pics of it).

Actually had one of my best ever tree ski days there...

After the trees traverse back to Crevacol along the road tunnel roof Cool

Nice couloirs above the autostrada too

Though like I said there is some very good / varied piste skiing too.
Small alpine resorts rock wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Simon94, never been to Crevacol, but skiied La Thuile a few seasons ago with the O/H who was (and still is) a complete beginner. There are plenty of beginner runs in La Thuile, and i don't think your wife would have too much to worry about. The only time la Thuile got busy was at the weekends, but even then i didn't experience any queues. Only advice i have for la Thuile, if you are staying there, is get a locker in the ski hire place at the top of the escalator/next to the Plannibel, very hilly and a nightmare carrying ski's/boots (and usually the men carrying both pairs and the women walking along without a care in the world). Can't comment on Corm as we didn't go over that way. So, La Thuile is a great resort, suits all abilities, but from previous posts also sounds like Crevacol is worth a try. Give them both a try.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simon94, I've skied there a couple of times and will make a point of returning, as Haggis_Trap suggests it's a cool little resort.

It can get windy up there so it's worth checking the site on the day before heading up but it probably will be less busy than Pila. Certainly worth a day or two.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Stew/AAthing/Hagis trap....it sounds as if it will be ideal for O/H with it being not so busy at the weekend (25 Euros for a day pass!!) will endeavour to get to Pila/La thuile as well (comments about locker appreciated) and will leave some feedback for others on our return. Just had a look at the website for Crevacol.it and it looks an amazing place. As we are just down the valley (staying in Gignod) then should be able to get a fair idea of weather further up....thanks again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got back last weekend, had a great time, weather was exceptionally warm for this time of year, at one point it was 9c on top of one of the mountain in Pila.
Crevacol was a good starting base, wifey started out on the blue's which were ideal for her. My son and I had a go at a few of the reds but never managed the long black in the day we were there. Red's were great for us....weather as stated was great with this south facing resort ideal for the sun worshippers!
Think the most thing we were amazed by this resort is the cost which for a day pass was only 25 Euros for the day, and the lack of people that use it! We spent a Sunday there and other than a few locals the resort was more or less empty.
For Frosty, we did a days skiing in Crevacol, which you can do in a day. Then spent 4 days in Pila which is another great resort, free parking in Aosta, gondola up to Pila takes 15 minutes or so included in days pass at 35 Euros which is good value. The afternoon pass is also value for money at 26 Euro from 12:15 to 5pm. Didn't manage to ski all of Pila's runs but got most in....black and red at top of Cous II are definately worth a visit. Even though it was UK half term with loads of Brit kids on the slopes, once you were on the mountain you hardly ever saw them. Did a drive upto Courmayeur one afternoon (non skiing) just to have a look around the place, took 40 minutes from Aosta...nice place with lots of character.
Overall placing yourself in Aosta valley is excellent base ....with Pila/Courmayeur being the main resorts, La Thuile and Cervinia being 40minutes drive away. We had a fantastic time, itching to get back again to sample some more. Costs wise it's very reasonable, 163 Euros for a 6 day pass which gives you 2days at another resort within the Aosta valley. Coffee in most cafes on the mountain at 1 euro.
Even wifey has the skiing bug....so roll on next year. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Simon94, many thanks. That gives me a great feel for our trip. I think we may get a 4 day Pila pass which gives us 1 day in another resort (prob La Thuile) and then buy a one day pass in Crevacol for the saturday. How long is the drive from Aosta to Crevacol?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty...Aosta to Crevacol is about 35-40 minutes drive...long winding roads but beautiful views. As you approach Crevacol you go through what looks like the Tunnel entrance with a kind of checkpoint which is misleading as it isn't (just a restaurant and some shops)...keep going and then about a mile on your right there is an exit which drops down to the bottom of the ski resort. Enjoy, envious as wish I was back there!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Simon94, Off to Pila again next week and must admit we don't do weekends as it can get busy(ier) then so I am told. I think the longest queue we have ever hit is 2 mins and that is the one at the bottom as every one is getting up higher 1st thing. Most of the time it is straight on to the lift.

The Ski pass gives you a day at a different resort but we have never used it as in the 5 days there is plenty for us and it is so quiet why spend loads of time in a car going elsewhere. If it was not busy with the locals at the weekend then they could never afford to keep it open.

Huge choices of Reds and a couple of Blacks - mind one of the blacks is just a huge wide mountain side to throw yourself down with no piste work done unless avalanche worries. Great mountain bar hidden away too that most people don't know is there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Simon94, Glad you had a good time. I'm very keen to go back. In terms of resorts, don't forget the Montarosa area plus there are other small resorts if you have a car. Chamois is a little gem worth checking out, very similar to Crevacol.

A full list of resorts in the Aosta Valley & web cams here (some will be cross country):

http://www.regione.vda.it/turismo/prima_di_partire/in_tempo_reale/webcam_e.asp
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is there a bus in the morning from Aosta to Crevacol? I can’t find one Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy