Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Lauberhorn

Poster: A snowHead
I've been skiing in the area every year for the last 17/18 years and have always wanted to go to watch the actual race (skied the courses etc) but never been able to go due to school / other commitments. I'm still recovering from my skiing accident in Feb 10 (concussion then post concussion syndrome) so still not allowed to ski, so decided that this year I would go out for the week around it .

From what I can see and have been told, you can get into the grandstand for free for the training runs on Wed/Thur, but for each day after that you need to buy a ticket. The obvious (and free!) alternative is to walk (and possibly get the train some of the way) to a position higher up on the course.

Does anyone know where the best places are to go (considering I can't really ski there / back and would prefer it to be as quiet as possible)? I read somewhere that a couple of years ago, there were thousands of people just below the Hundschopf (just above Wengernalp) so guessing not too great for me. I would imagine that just after the Wasserstation (where it runs parallel to bumps) could be quite busy due to it's easy access for skiers (and walkers) - although having said, that it could be quieter as people just stop for half hour or something while skiing past. This is all speculation though - basically, I don't have a clue where would be best, so any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I should add that I will arrive Wed afternoon so will go to the 2nd training day and I'm probably looking at going for each of the days. Should also add that I could possibly ski to get to a better spot (it's not that I can't ski - I'm dying too - it's more that it might make my symptoms worse, but for 5-10 minutes I could probably do it!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skierbiggsy, Stands are indeed free during Wed and Thursday, and you can walk there down the road from Wengen you can even meet and get autographs from many of the racers if you want, most are very good about that kind of thing, Saturday everywhere around the race track will be packed and I do mean packed, so much so that they have multiple landing spots for helicopters at Kl Scheidegg for the vips, emergency crews and TV crews, when people start coming down the slopes at the end of the race on Saturday it is literally nose to tail at a crawl last year there were 35,000 spectators watching the race at trackside.

Super G is Friday, Downhill Saturday and Slalom Sunday, also worth seeing is the party Saturday Night in the centre of Wengen and assuming clear skies there will be air displays around mid day Friday and Saturday by the Swiss air force display team.

I'd say the best place to get the atmosphere and watch a little of the race is the public area just below Wengeneralp station, there is a big screen tv there which allows you to watch the whole race and you can walk back up to Wengeneralp station or down towards Almend after the race, also has the advantage that they put both refreshment stands and public toilets there.

My only time there to watch the race I was very lucky and got given a Gold access card which give free food and drinks and a slightly quieter location but if you don't want to pay for a seat at the finish and want somewhere free it will all be packed, Weneneralp in sight of the TV is good because you can watch the whole race not just the fleeting passing of skiers, plus you get to see how each does. if you can get up hill from Wengeneralp station say above the Hundshopf (and from what you are saying that seems doubtful) that will give you the least crowds.

If you really want an unforgettable experience see if you can get either Gold card or Sky lounge tickets, I have no idea if either are still available but paying the money for either (and they are far from cheap) puts you in great locations, without it being packed, allows fantastic views and gives you food and drink as well.

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/home for lots of details
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know the one - loops down under the train tracks just after the station I believe. Sounds like it is much more open than some sports which is good. Hmm - I thought as much, guess I was just being a little too hopeful that someone would know of some unknown, quiet and easily accessible spot with a good view, which thinking about now, was never likely with the kind of attendances they have Toofy Grin

Looking on the website, it's saying Friday is the combined:

Friday January 13, 2012
10.30am Super Comination Downhill
2.00pm Super Combination Slalom (one race)

Is the downhill on Friday a full downhill run or is it shortened / actually Super G (I seem to remember once seeing something on TV which was only starting at the Wasserstation so wondered if that was a shortened run / Super G for the combined)? EDIT: looking at the results from last year, it would seem to suggest that the combined downhill is not as long as the proper (unless I'm missing something very obvious here) so may well not start as high / be a Super G.

Hmm - having the big screen would be good but not sure that many people condensed into that main area would be doable for me at the moment.

Just been chatting with some people and we reckon I would be okay if I was to use skis as transport (so instead of going to ski all the time, just using the skis to get around - and probably quite slowly!). My skis are already out there so this would allow me to get to the the top section quite easily and cheaply where hopefully as you said it would be quieter. From memory, the very beginning normally looks reasonably busy so I'm guessing the quietest spot would be, as you said, somewhere between the Russisprung and the Hundschopf. How easily accessible is this section before the race? Is it roped / fenced off or can you ski / walk along the side to get further down?

What time / how long before the start would I need to get there to have a good view (hoping to get some good pictures whilst there so the nearer the front the better)? The races start at 12:30 Thur, 10:30 Fri, 12:30 Sat and 10:15 / 13:15 Sun and looking at the attendances for the last few years, the downhill is the most popular, then the combined then the slalom. I'm guessing that the earlier the better, but realistically, roughly how long?

Reading the descriptions of the Gold / Sky tickets, it looks pretty good (especially if your not paying for it Toofy Grin) - although not good enough for me to spend that much!! Shock Anyone fancy donating one? Toofy Grin

Oh, and sorry for all the questions - the help is much appreciated Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Given that you are able to watch all three races plus some training might I suggest the following

Sunday you are more likely to be able to find somewhere close to the track but it's only fairly short distance, you probably need to get to the track first thing in the morning to get a place, I should warn you that the slalom track gets no sun on it until quite late in the day and as a result is often very icy which combined with its steepness is not good. There is however a piste that goes to the right of the race track before meeting it about half way down, I'd guess your best chance for a good view would be to follow that piste down to a point about halfway down the course and try to find a spot there.

I can't remember exactly where the downhill part of the combined starts from other than the fact that it is lower than the Downhill start hut, I'd guess get off at Wengeneralp and follow the course down and see if you can find a suitable location, I'm sure someone in Wengen will be able to tell you where the start of the race will be.

The downhill will be packed, spectators start to arrive around 7am though some just party all through the night and don't go to sleep by 10 am you have to fight to get onto a train even at 9 am they are packed.

Now the bright side is that most of the race course is accessible if you get there early, in general the barriers are low, 4ft high netting, along much of the course save those places where accidents have occurred or are likely to occur, I think for the Downhill however I'd say it might be worth seeing if there are any spots left in the stands at the finish, theres another big screen tv there to watch the race and there won't be as much jostling etc going on, yes they are not cheap but they are much cheaper than the vip cards it's probably worth it as the down hill lasts a good few hours.

For the main race expect it to be fun, noisy and crowded, most of those party mad locals leave Saturday night though so Sunday and the Slalom will feel much quieter.

Forecasts for the weekend suggest it will be quite cold, if you are standing around waiting several hours for the start wrap up accordingly, Sun hits the Lauberhorn fairly early in the morning so if you are above Wengeneralp it won't be so bad, lower down the course you may not get sun until much later
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah it can be pretty nasty, even at the end of a day of sun sometimes! I know the run you mean - wasn't sure if it would be open to skiers due to not being able to finish the last bit (where it merges with the black) but I will give it a go anyway.

Yeah I think it must have been the combined I saw starting lower down then.

It seems you can buy tickets once there ("Sales: at all sales points of the Jungfrau Railway") so I think I'll see what's going when I get there.

Yeah really looking forward to it! Cold but sunny I think, which is a lot better than it's been (very snowy with incredibly bad visibility!).

One last question (although I may have left it too late as I leave early tomorrow morning) - this might sound stupid (and I think I know the answer) but can you cross the course before the race has taken place if there is no other access to the other side (so you can watch it from the other side)? If so, up to how long before can you do it? I ask this because obviously in some sports, spectators are not allowed on the 'pitch' / 'course' before the event in case they damage it. Obviously with skiing and snow in general, the wind / racers etc probably cause just as much damage as someone walking /skiing straight to the other side, so I would imagine you can (especially if the fences are that low) but thought I would check anyway.

Thank you very much for all the help / advice you've given me (and for answering my many questions Toofy Grin) - it is much appreciated!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skierbiggsy, I think I recall a few specific points where you can cross but not many, once the fences are up they stay that way. It's not so much a risk of non racers damaging the course as preventing them from disrupting the event, in much the same way as a private car would not be allowed onto a racetrack.

There's usually space down either side of the runs sufficient for several people to stand, but to ski you'd either have to wait till they have gone or till they remove the barriers, easier to remove skis and walk last stretch down to bottom I suspect.

I think but am not sure that there might also be a sales office at the Mannlichen cable car.

Hope you have a great time I expect I'll see a bit on tv but it's not the same.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going to the WC in Jan. Granstand tickets go on pre sale next month and I want to decide if I'm going to order any. Has anyone come accross a course map, showing access points for spectators. I'd like to watch some of the races from the mountain.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
georgedelaney, You can watch the Lauberhorn for free pretty much down the whole course except for the finish gate, there's usually a big screen TV wall at both the finish line and just below Wengeneralp station which shows each racer, the course does get pretty packed with spectators though, and some parts may be difficult to get to because of the crash nets.

A good spot to watch is on the run down from the start hut or from plum pudding hill by Wengeneralp where you can see the racers come over the Hundschopf and also see the big screen , or lastly the Hanneg Schuss
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks DG Orf

Is plum pudding hill accessed from Wengeneralp station or do you need to go higher and ski down? If you want go higher on the course do you get off at Wengenralp and go by lift (Wixi?) or do you stay on the train (to Klein Sheidegg?)?

thanks again
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
georgedelaney, You can walk from Wengernalp station, it's litterally under the railway track and maybe 100M at most, you won't miss it as there will be a big hospitality tent there and helicopters may be parked next to it

Or you could ski down from Kleine Scheidegg but you may prefer to walk rather than have ski boots on for several hours, to go higher on the course go up to Kleine Scheidegg and get the Lauberhorn or Wixi lifts up the Lauberhorn you ca ski to the Wixi from Wengernalp but you need to walk up from the station past the hotel and then ski down from there along the road to the Chairlift, easier to go to Kleine Scheidegg

Oh and Race day the trains will be like Sardine Tins
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wengernalp seems to be the place to be then. I think Ill watch the combined from the Grandstand and the Downhill from there.

thanks fo the advice
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grandstand tickets went on sale Monday. Got one for the combined and will watch the DH on course. Feel I can start to look forward to it now
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
georgedelaney, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Enjoy, great to have the "Yellow Bellies" represented in Switzerland. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tres Jealous... snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="briand6868"][b]georgedelaney[/b], Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Enjoy, great to have the "Yellow Bellies" represented in Switzerland. Toofy Grin[/quote]

Look out for me wearing the jersey on Eurosport
snow conditions
Bought my Grandstand tickets for the DH first thing on Monday (as soon as they went on sale) - will start searching for cowbells on ebay soon ...
ski holidays
georgedelaney, Go wan ye good thing !!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy