Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Import Restrictions for Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
We are travelling out to Nendaz at the end of next week to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. We have a total of 15 people staying at the chalet, 8 of the group are driving there in two vehicles and the rest are flying in. Does anyone know how much alcohol you are allowed to take into Switzerland from France? We were planning to stop off at Calais to fill up on wine, beer and spirits. Initial thoughts are 14 cases of wine, 4 cases champagne, 12 cases of beer and around 12 bottles of assorted spirits so not exactly a small quantity!

I have tried to find the info on-line, however everything seems to tell you the duty free limits, the duty will be paid in France so this will not be a duty free import.

Any info will be greatly received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
barney2201, interesting one. No idea of any limits, but since it's Schengen, there's effectively no border (unless the Swiss customs guys use their power of suspicion to stop those entering).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
....how big are your vehicles?!?! sounds like a good week!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Navara & Lexus 4x4's crammed to the max and loaded with top boxes. Assuming they will let us into the country!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schengen or not the Swiss do stop cars they think are taking too large quantities of cheese and various other foodstuffs in, but they wave gold through! With GB plates on you are very likely to get through unscathed, as it's the locals stocking up in cheap French & German hypermarkets they are after. I don't know the limits for alcohol, but have never heard of it being a problem, and if it's clear you are going for a ski holiday you would be very unlucky to have to pay anything. If you run dry (!!) do try Swiss wine - not cheap but can be very good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think that the limit is similar to the UK limits from outside the EU I.E. 1 litre of spirits, and I think 2or 3 bottles of wine. As Andy says it's Schengen but if the border post is manned they quite often stop UK vehicles. I have been stopped regularly and once I had to pay duty on Champagne and wine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy wrote:
since it's Schengen, there's effectively no border

It's one of the most intimidatingly well fortified borders in Europe, that I've seen anyway! Until you start getting to, say, the bit between Estonia and Russia.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bet they'll now be stopping all Navara/ Lexus 4x4 combos just in case! The border patrol spies will be tracking you now they've picked up this intel!

Don't forget to call into hotel Les Etagnes après tent and have a few beers Dutch styly, great bar! Have fun.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barney2201, my recollection is that you have a total import allowance of 300CHF and I think there are also volume limits on alcohol.

It gets a little complicated as you can't amalgamate each persons limit for single items, so if you have 4 people in the car that doesn't mean you can freely import a 1,200CHF magnum of vintage fizz.

There's this great idea I've heard of called Google?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just hide bottles of wine inside ski boots etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It's one of the most intimidatingly well fortified borders in Europe, that I've seen anyway!

I've seen carloads of young, well-dressed men, being completely taken apart at the Bardonnex border. Everything out of car, little team of customs officers, dogs, the lot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were planning on taking Champagne is for our wedding hotel advised us on the limits and it was fairly tight so we just did not bother.

That said we were pulled over told to buy our sticker and sent on our way without a search and the vehical was jam packed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name,

barney2201 wrote:
We are travelling out to Nendaz at the end of next week to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. We have a total of 15 people staying at the chalet, 8 of the group are driving there in two vehicles and the rest are flying in. Does anyone know how much alcohol you are allowed to take into Switzerland from France? We were planning to stop off at Calais to fill up on wine, beer and spirits. Initial thoughts are 14 cases of wine, 4 cases champagne, 12 cases of beer and around 12 bottles of assorted spirits so not exactly a small quantity!

I have tried to find the info on-line, however everything seems to tell you the duty free limits, the duty will be paid in France so this will not be a duty free import.

Any info will be greatly received.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
barney2201, here you go: Swiss Customs website http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/essen_trinken/00357/index.html?lang=en
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I must be using a better class of google. I got http://geneva.angloinfo.com/information/11/imports.asp which gave
- Up to 15% alcohol content: 2 litres per person per day
- More than 15% alcohol: 1 litre per person per day
latest report
BergenBergen, that sounds pretty generous. Shocked
snow report
BergenBergen, I prefer always to go to the Govt website then you know the info is accurate and up to date, Having said that, I as easily as you got any number of sites like that with the info with my first attempt as I suspect did barney2201 as he refers to duty free limits

barney2201, I think your issue is that you hope there is a duty paid limit; but as Switzerland is not in the EU then only Duty Free applies
snow conditions
The first link is based on Duty Free imports, we will be paying the duty in France with receipts to prove it. Not sure about the second link to Anglo info, it does not state duty free or paid.

This site says it's the same as the UK i.e. take in as much as you like as long as you can prove it's for personal use http://switzerland.visahq.co.uk/customs/

Hence the confusion
latest report
pam w, I did try, but had to admit defeat after day 4. Very Happy
ski holidays
barney2201, is that "the same as the UK" in that you think you can import as much duty paid as you like from Switzerland.... because you can't. Switzerland is not classed as EU for alchohol. Switzerland is included for anilmal products. see the HMRC notice here http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001734&propertyType=document
snow report
Quote:

that sounds pretty generous

I take it back. That anglo-info site is a bit misleading. Having read the customs page carefully you can only import those limits once a day. So the OP will have to spend his entire week driving back and forth over the border and will still have a big stack of booze left at the French side at the end of the week.

Or pay Swiss duty on the vast majority of it.
snow report
Barney 2201, you will be substantially over the limit. You could declare at the border and pay duty but on the other hand these days it is very unlikely you will be stopped since they are usually only interested in whether you have a valid vignette for the Motorway (make sure you have one else more awkward questions could follow). In fact, even if you wanted to declare you might have problems finding someone to declare to if its one of the less popular crossings at night. On the other hand, even if you get across the border you might not want to celebrate too early since they also have mobile douane who have a habit of hanging around the roads up to ski resorts. I have heard however that the allowances are more generous for already opened bottles Laughing and I have also had some success with the excuse that I was 'in transit through Switzerland' between EU countries but in that case I was actually telling the truth.

I would never encourage anyone to mess with the Swiss authorities, but what the hell, bury the suspicious packages beneath your smelliest ski gear and go for it..

http://youtube.com/v/coWCkAOkQ0U&feature=related
ski holidays
I was inspected at the Valorbe border last year (Got stopped cos I misinterpreted a waved hand - my fault)
Very grumpy border guard "inspected" all the food and booze bags in my roof box, including cheese, meats, lots of booze etc)
Didnt bat an eyelid, and seemed happy to bark at me in French. No penalty, and allowed to continue with all the contraband!
snow report
Quote:

bury the suspicious packages beneath your smelliest ski gear and go for it..

difficult to tuck 15.5 cases of booze under a few pairs of socks. Laughing
snow conditions
Drive through the backroads. At night.
snow report
Valorbe in the rush hour is worth a punt. Think the customs are more interested in swiss plated cars driving back into switzerland
snow conditions
barney2201, 8 people in two cars, easy. Stop just before and out of sight of the border. Drop one or two people and lots of booze. Carry a 'legal' amount across the border. Stop, just after the border is out of sight. Drop one or two people and all of the booze in the cars. Return for another legal amount of booze. Repeat as needed.
snow report
From experience, the larger the car the more likely to be stopped..I tend to do most times, and i have swiss plates.. if you have loads of visible ski gear then it should be okay..also wind down the window and smile as you approach..thye tned to be more sticklers here in the German part. Paying the duty is dirt cheap, but if you are caught, then its just an on the spot fine like a parking ticket to the value of the duty x2
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just buy your vignette in advance online and then sail through the border! I'm more interested in how much bacon you get through Geneva airport - are there any rules?
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, Yep - here http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/essen_trinken/00356/index.html?lang=en
snow conditions
barney2201, You won't be paying any duty in France, normally.

However, if you find a vendor who will do you a tax free export (detax) you can go theough one of the larger border posts, claim back your French tVA (20% ?) and pay your Swiss taxes (8%?) plus any duty. Might save you around 10%...
snow report
We always cross at Vallorbe (between Pontarlier and Lausanne).

At peak times we have encountered miles of queues, but as other sh's have said, the queue is only to buy the motorway vignette. Sadly even if you have one, you still have to queue as it only splits about 50 metres before the border. But I have never seen them stopping and searching.

We crossed at midnight once to find the border deserted, only to be pulled over about 200 metres in by two uniformed customs agents in a Volvo. They were keen to know if we had any meat in the car, but before I could answer, their radio squawked and they drove off in a rush, so they never found out. Very Happy

And last month we crossed at 8.30 pm, no queues, no interest, in fact I had to park up and walk inside to buy this year's vignette.

I think the gist of it is, you probably won't be stopped, and if you are, you may have to pay some duty or an on-the-spot fine. The link in holidayloverxx's post above is good.
ski holidays
Whitegold, That's a moonshine run isn't it?

If anyone from DMAX/Dave/Gold is reading you've just given them an idea for a new series...."Shengen Boarder Force"

The Geordie bloke from Road Wars: "Ahn this mowbile publican thought he'd chonce his orm at the Shengan Bowrdar....by bringin' in the contence of an entire pub for a pawty......but when Offica Zurbriggen checked his boot....the pawty was ova and his corks wor popped.."
snow conditions
barney2201, leaving Swiss customs aside, I'd buy it rather nearer to your destination than Calais or you're going to pay well over the odds for petrol to haul it all down there. Also bear in mind that liquid weighs a lot and vehicles have a weight limit (having had to rescue a colleague from a peage once after police weighed his van and told him he couldn't go anywhere because he had too much wine in the back). You're looking at over 150kg there, it seems to me.
ski holidays
This might be a dumb question, but why not buy the wine and beer locally? Swiss wine is rather nice. The only reason most Brits don't know is that they drink most of it themselves!
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni, Switzerland has a reputation for being pricey and I tend to agree with that. I would imagine the prices are ramped additional to that in ski resorts as they are in France. A good option to avoid being pulled over at the border is to already be carrying a swiss vignette which I buy very successfully at www.tolltickets.com - they arrive in days and they also do other countries like Austria - would recommend them. I've only ever been stopped on Brit plates for them to stick a vignette in and relieve me of cash for it. When I started buying it in advance I just got waved through. IIRC 20 years or so ago I actually smuggled in a whole leg of our own lamb all the way from the UK as a pressie as meat is expensive there too!
snow report
If you decide to buy locally then Denner or Coop in Conthey are good options Wine and beer are quite reasonable there. beware though that Denner don't take UK credit or debit cards.

Also call into the Edelweiss for Happy hour beer 4CHF a pint between 4 & 5. Don't bother with Irish Bar Beer there reduced by 1CHF to 6CHF for happy hour & no atmosphere. Cheers Bar at Les Etagnes is good but no happy hour.
snow report
Thanks for all the info everyone.

I think the plan is to buy the vignette in advance then see what happens. I have had a look at www.leshop.ch which is really handy to gauge local prices. Wine and beer does seem to be more expensive than France (especially in the quantities we need!)
ski holidays
Please distiguish between Schengen, which is essentially an immigration agreement, and customs/EU borders. Switzerland is a member of the Schengen accord, which means no immigration check at the border with France, but it is it's own customs zone, which means restrictions apply. Reclaim French VAT at the French border and then pay Swiss VAT on the Swiss side, as someone mentioned. Declare it all and import it legally. You will sleep better, and you won't lose so much money!

By the way, a lot of the wine shops in Switzerland are now offering a discount on imported wine, anyway, to take account of the exchange rate. Try Movenpick Caves, for example, which usually gives a 20% rebate on imported wine. Or, the large Coops which always have half price and other offers on decent wines and a case discount. That way, you don't even need to think about border issues.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
I would imagine the prices are ramped additional to that in ski resorts as they are in France.

IME you would imagine wrong. Prices in the Coop in Davos Dorf and in Flims, for example, are exactly the same as in the Coop in the shopping centres and in the one downstairs from me. I always found wine cheap here compared with the UK, but with the current exchange rate I'd say it's probably a similar sort of price now. My normal day-to-day tipple is about CHF 5 a bottle. If you want to buy wine in bulk, Denner is the place, as mentioned. Also concur with FlyingStantoni - Swiss wines are great. Unless the point is to make a big monetary splash for the big birthday, I would also suggest an Italian prosecco over Champagne
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy