Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing/working next season in Canada/US

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone, not sure if I'm posting this in the right part of the forum but I'm looking for advice/tips for skiing/working next season in Canada or the US. I'm a British student graduating university(MPhys) in the summer and I've never skied anywhere but the Apls and would like to go skiing in North America. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice or reasonable data sources about job hunting (and resort finding for that matter) or if anyones been in a similar situation?

Cheers

Bob
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BobHector, Hey did you get any more info? I'm
Interested in doing exact same thing. Pm me x
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can give you advice on accommodation, don't know much about visas etc etc
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd be quite interested in this info too, the only thing holding me back is the potential of not being able to get a job out there....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MattMattMatt wrote:
I'd be quite interested in this info too, the only thing holding me back is the potential of not being able to get a job out there....

You'll get a job if you've got a Visa most probably. If you're relying on resort sponsorship to get the visa you might be screwed particularly in the US as even long established workers e.g. high end foreign ski instructors are struggling under their current employment laws.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scouselibby, BobHector, Which resort you guys looking at? Am thinking of lining up Canada for next season aswell. A season in Kicking Horse is what I've been thinking about, being based out of Golden so that access to touring around Rogers Pass, Revelstoke, the Purcell range and the Selkirks is viable. It is not far from Lake Louise either, which would be good for the odd day trip. I think there is a greater chance of work in Banff, Revelstoke or Whistler though which seem a bit more mainstream. Jasper and Fernie seem a little isolated but would be good places to work too I believe. Haha Laughing I think most anywheres in BC would be awesome!

Loads of reading and information to be had over on the TGR Forums, although you have to sift through quite a lot to find the useful stuff. Always guys looking for people to share accommodation with starting around Sep time. Just tread carefully on the forum as they love to slate the newbies(JONGs!) and do take advantage of the search facility as I can guarantee all the questions we have to ask have been answered before!

Good info for visas to be found through CIC or BUNAC

Been trying to work out what kind of work would be best for the winter. Something in resort in the evenings might be ideal so that you have all day to enjoy the mountain. Although working as a liftie or instructor might be better pay and lift passes etc would likely be included. What you guys thinking of doing for work? Did you find any resources for jobs yet as I have come up pretty blank on that front. An equivalent of natives would be nice, and there must be something out there I would think.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry its taken me a while to reply have been having computer problems. I posted the same thing to reddit (http://redd.it/o8ejw) and got some advice on the visa front, http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=7&view=d seems the best way to go if your going to Canada it seems that getting a work visa for the states is a little difficult.

On the resort/job side I've not found much information except for a couple of pieces of advice on becoming a ski instructor but I need to look into that a little more.

Apologies for the poor edit but not sure how to condense links.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobHector, Yep, that link to the Canadian website for the application for visa seems the way to go. Through the IEC working holiday visa you get 12 months from the date you get your 'letter of intent', acceptance onto the scheme to go to Canada and then 12 months from the date of entry to stay and work in Canada. It is possible to apply for the IEC Visa twice in your lifetime so long as you meet the criteria and are between 18-30yr.

The schemes like BUNAC and similar, to me, seem pointless as they don't offer much which you can't do personally. At a cost of £250ish they offer you to share a flight with similar people and they offer a night in a hostel and an orientation day after arrival in Vancouver etc ... maybe needed if you are 19 and doing your first trip away as you will meet similar minded people on flight and first night. However its money better put towards medical insurance in my opinion.

This year there will be 5,500 IEC Visa's handed out by the Canadians, last years quota ran out in August. I am in the process of applying for my Police Check/ Disclosure and then will be able to send off for the visa with the forms found through the website mentioned above. From my research it appears that the visa takes between 6/8 weeks to process and then you will hear by post the decision. With your letter of intent, if you are accepted, you are then able to travel to Canada at any point during the ensuing 12 months.

A bit concerned that they ask you to show on your arrival proof that you have at least $2500 Canadian in your bank account(by way of letter/statement from the bank dated <1 wk prior to departure). This is to show you are secure until you find work and that theoretically you have enough for your return ticket.

The more research I have done the more it seems that a job with the mountain is the way to go. In the respect that they hook you up with accomodation and lift pass and if you do a good job for first season the possibility of returning with sponsorship in following years is greatly increased. Not sold on all these advertised courses for ski instructors and snowboard instructors guaranteeing work after the course. I don't believe they can know you will get work after the course. I also think that to pick up work you need to be out there in September for the coming season, that does however pose an issue of what to do during the off season for the couple of months before winter kicks in.

Hope I'm not boring you all, just thought I would share the results of my research and my experiences as I go snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy