Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The ski learning curve - which resort next?

Poster: A snowHead
As a late starter with skiing I now feel like I have found my feet on the slopes. I started 5 years ago aged 31 and now have reached intermediate level. I only tend to get 3-5 day breaks at a time so my learning curve has not been as steep as I would like but that is all I get time for at the moement as the kids are too young to turn it into a 2 week family holiday.

I am a big fan of Bansko (until yesterday I owned a place there), and will still continue to go as I just love the place.
I am also a fan of Tignes. I have done the last 3 years at the Mountain sun boot camp in December. And also plan to keep doing that.
I have done a day at Glen Shee, but that was just brutal. You know the wind chill is bad when you lips start bleeding whilst sat on a chair lift.

My question is where to try next?
I always have a budget to stick to, so am looking for somewhere with a good, but not neccessarily large piste map. It has to be relatively cheap apres ski (I just cant stomach paying 5-6 E a pint). I like the idea of a smallish village type resort. It will probably be for a 3-4 day break again sometime in Feb.

I am not fussed which country I try, but would like some recomendations on where to try next. I like the Alps, but also like the idea of the Eastern Europe.

Does anywhere spring to mind, or what other info do you need before recomending somewhere.

Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are not going on a standard week/week break you will be better with resorts close to an airport with scheduled flights - Geneva or Munich (don't even think about Zurich if you are on a budget). Then find resorts near to these airports to reduce transfer times (this cuts out Andorra which is good for budget but very long transfers from Barcelona).

La Clusaz might suit you. It has a pretty good range of all skiing types and is only an hour and a bit from Geneva (on a good day).

As for the price of beer - it is what it is. Find the bars with happy hours, buy it from the supermarket or find what is actually better value on the menu. You can often find a bottle of wine (well, plonk) is available for not much more than a pint of beer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eastern Europe cannot compete with the big Alpine resorts in terms of skiing range and area. If you've enjoyed Tignes then you could look at the other big areas - Les Arcs/La Plagne, Avoriaz/Morzine, Grand Massif etc. A smaller resort linking to a big area might be a good idea. Try Les Carroz or Samoens linking to Flaine or Chatel or Champery linking to Avoriaz. I don't know Austria or Italy as well, but others will no doubt have ideas there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My early skiing progress suffered by chopping and changing resorts and countries all the time. A French teacher would teach me something. An Italian would undo it and teach me something else, etc.

So, my "top tip" is to find a resort, take lessons and, if you like it, go back and have lessons off the same person.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at some of the Ski Amade resorts. Easy access from Salzburg or Innsbruck airports, and link into a bigger ski area if you want.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

So, my "top tip" is to find a resort, take lessons and, if you like it, go back and have lessons off the same person.

sounds good to me. The ski learning curve isn't about going to a "higher level" resort - you can see brilliant, brilliant skiers in every little resort and absolute chumps in places like Tignes.

First, if it's February, and France, you need to go before the middle of the month (school holidays after). And the cheapest beer will be at least 5 euros a pint if that's a key issue (a lot more for good beer, or an expensive resort).

one week breaks will be far better value than short breaks. You could do worse than a week in one of the UCPA centres in France - everything, including ski pass and v good tuition, provided as part of the cost. Action-Outdoors market their holidays in the UK and organise cheap travel.

If you need to do a short break I'd go to mountainsun again - and if in Tignes, there are any number of excellent instructors you could be recommended. But private lessons are an expensive way to go - UCPA would be better value.

It's the tuition you get which is going to make the difference, not the resort (or the price of the beer.... wink )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about La Tania? Its a lovely small family resort with the whole of the 3 valleys at your doorstep. You can enjoy skiing in Courcheval without paying Courcheval prices. Its also great for kids and when they get a bit bigger and have loads more energy than you, they can keep doing circuits while you have an well earned beer. As there are only three pistes back in to the village that can all be accessed from the top of the bubble, its very hard for them to get lost. My family love it and we are off again this half term. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welcome to snowHeads nfh1958.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
load of great idea guys. Thanks for taking the time to post.
I am not particually looks to improve my skiing. It is more a case of the whole ski exprience that I enjoy. If I never get much better, then I will still be happy. I just love being up a mountain with great views, and then enjoy relaxing with some Apres ski.

I am off to google about all the ideas above.

Cheers
Smag
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Probably Scotland
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smagsmith, I might have misunderstood you - thought it was just a sneaky few days off on your own. If it's with the whole family, then it all gets a bit different! Your ref to the "ski learning curve" was what got me started on lessons! wink

I think anywhere in France could be a bit of a shock, price-wise, if you can't stand the thought of spending £5 a pint for beer and want to drink a lot of it in bars! Austria can be cheaper, certainly for beer, though probably not approaching some of the eastern Europe prices (do you have your own gear? some places in Austria can be a bit expensive for hiring gear). I've never been to Slovenia but recently met someone who lives there and it does sound v nice - I'd definitely give that a go if I didn't have an apartment in France.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was pleasantly surprised by the beer prices in St. Anton last year both on and off the mountain. Typically 3 Euro for a pint compared to 5 or 6 on France.

Could skiing in Spain be your answersmagsmith, ? I've never skied there but I understand you could be skiing by day and relaxing by the beach in the evening. Not sure about prices though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In France I'd suggest La Rosiere, Morzine/Les Gets, Alpe d'Huez, Flaine or Serre Chevalier areas might suit. Better chance of spare capacity in chalets or hotels that could be snapped up at a bargain last minute. February tends to be packed and high priced in the more popular Espace Killy, Trois Vallees, Paradiski areas. For instruction though I always found Austria to be better. In a good snow season, which 11/12 looks like being, deals in some of the lower areas in Austria could be good, with better beer too. Areas around Kitzbuhel, Saalbach, for example. Instruction in Andorra also has a good reputation but more limited mountains and no longer particularly cheap. Personally I wait until I'm home for 49 weeks each year to drink good beer at a reasonable price. Inclusive chalet wine does the trick for me when I've shelled out to be in the snow for the other precious 3 weeks. I wouldn't bother with Spain or Eastern Europe. Italy can be good but my experience is that organisation of lift systems and instruction is very relaxed, with long lunches taking priority.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd go for Austria - Zell am See perhaps. lLively cheapish apres, 90 mins from Salzburg airport, nice intermediate runs. Ok, not a small village but townnhas a lovely feel to it and you could stay at one of the neighbouring hamlets. Obergurgl will also tick yer boxes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Reading my OP i see that I may have been a little misleading with the use of the term ski learning curve. Maybe it should have been ski experience curve.

I like to see new places and experience new things. I am not a fan of going back to the same places for my summer hols as I like to see as many places as possible, but I seem to have fallen into that trap with skiing. I love Bansko and I love the boot camp.

Once the kids are old enough ( Currently 4+2), then we will look at doing a couple of weeks a year, but until then it will most likely be me and a couple of mates. We don't do lessons as we just like to cruise the mountain. There are no runs at Tignes that I cant do, so I am comfortable on most runs.

I like the idea of a quick flight and a quick transfer.

Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Probably Scotland

No thanks, not after last time. Scotland for me = ice, wind and drag lifts.
snow report
smagsmith,
Quote:

It is more a case of the whole ski exprience that I enjoy

My two pen'rth is the Dollies (Dolomites) - started sking there in '76 & have skiid loads of resorts in the Alps & worldwide but this area is still one of my favourites, both winter & summer
Here's a taster Very Happy - this was a 5 day lad's long weekend: flight to Venice & couple of hrs drive to hotel near Arabba, so would suit your requirements exactly

http://youtube.com/v/97ba4Ip2GH0
snow conditions
smagsmith wrote:
davidof wrote:
Probably Scotland

No thanks, not after last time. Scotland for me = ice, wind and drag lifts.

lol, Tignes for me = ice, wind and drag lifts...(still had a good time) ...... guess it depends on when you go Wink .....
latest report
smagsmith, Sounds like you need to try Austria. There are certain things I like about the different ski countries but as an overall package Austria wins for me if you want great and more affordable apres this is usally what puts it leaps and bounds above most other destinations for me, couple that with friendly people, and good sliding and it's hard to beat.

I also ski regulary in France and Italy but for different reasons. Happening and afforadable apres aren't among them.
snow report
I'd recommend Austria too...... you mentioned you like the overall ski experience and Apres ski..... well in my opinion the Austrians are masters at apres ski, have beautiful mountain scenery and lovely picturesque villages.....Have a look at Zell am See. Very Happy
snow report
Another vote for Austria!

My Experience of the different resorts / countries is limited to Austria and France unfortunately. But of the two I would definitely say Austria is generally the better country for the skiing experience as a whole.

From what I've seen, the French people live up to their reputation of having a less than welcoming personality. I spent a whole week in L2A having to hide my ski poles from an old French bloke who was convinced that I had stolen them from him. He even went to the extreme of coming into our chalet and searching the boot room. Luckily, after the first encounter I kept them under my bed for the rest of the holiday. Of course this is an isolated incident. But generally speaking, the Austrian people as a whole seem a lot happier for us to be there than the French do.

Ok, Austria doesn't possess the mega ski resorts that France does (i.e. PdS, 3V etc.) but for the skiing you'll be doing, most of the resorts will have more than enough mileage.

In L2A, the minimum price for a beer was €5. IIRC, in Austria the going rate is about €3 - €3.50. And the price of food compares quite similarly.

In terms of resorts you can pretty much take your pick. We're going to Söll on Saturday as it seemed to tick all of our proverbial boxes... Largest linked ski resort in Austria(?), lively Apres Ski, relatively cheap, reasonable transfer time, oh, and at the minute it is covered in snow!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy