Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Its that time off the year again!! So any snowheads out there that have been to Cham, am looking for some help/tips on where to go, what not to miss. Have been skiing loads in France and Austria but never been to Chamonix and cant bloody wait! Particularly excited about skiing the Valle Blanche but have a few questions for those that may have done it. How easy is it to book a guide? do we need to have this sorted or could we just book something say the day before? Also trying to go on a budget so whats the cheapest option? Lastly if the others in my group aren't up for it, how easy is it to just join another group, rather than require a guide just for one person? Oh one more, is there any safety equipment they insist that you carry or do they provide it for you? Thanks to anyone who take's time to respond, feel free to throw in best restaurants and where the cheapest pint can be found wink Happy Skiing!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 8-01-12 10:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry if posted in wrong Forum, please move if necessary.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No experience from the Chamonix side but.....
a few years ago I was on Courmayeur with a group of six. Three of us wanted to ski the Vallee Blanche on the last day of our hol. We booked via the tourist office (or maybe direct with the Guide's Office) and they combined us with another group of two. This was two days before. In the end we didn't do it - got a call early morning to say conditions weren't suitable.

Ever since I've been itching to go back.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swell, best to book a guide at the Mountain Guides office. Talk to them in advance and then confirm the evening before, once you know that the weather is going to make it worthwhile. Can be done private or as part of a group. You will need harness and transceiver - and possibly shovel and probe. Usually can be provided by the guide for a hire charge.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think the rates are usually the same no matter who you go to, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting someone if you book the day before, they won't go if conditions aren't right, think we paid 350 last year for two of us, finished fairly early and just went up to gran monte for the afternoon, to be honest I think the v b is a little overrated, off piste around gran monte was better, but definitely worth doing. Guide should have any gear you need - tranceiver harness and possibly crampons for the walk down the aarete which is the scariest bit, the rest of the normal route is quite pedestrian.

Enjoy it'd be pretty epic in these conditions!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swell, "pedestrian" depends on the route you take. I can heartily recommend Lars at www.mountainpenguins.com. There is no "cheapest" guiding option I am afraid but there is better or worse value for money.

These days we are mostly eating and drinking in Boccalatte, Lapin Agile, Bartavel, The Jekyll, Cheval Rouge (I have a thing for grotty old PMU bars), MBC, The Pub.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, I haven't tried the Lapin yet this year, how is it? Last season it seemed to vary from really v good indeed to a bit ordinary. . . What's the attraction to the Cheval Rouge, is there a stunning barmaid hiding in the smog?!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a great Chamonix app available. I shows every one of the six ski areas with a marker for your exact current location at any time,up to date lift closures to the minute, weather, web cameras, restos, temperatures the lot. It's been particularly helpful this week with so many closures or later openings due to the excess snow to discuss each morning over breakfast where we would ski. It can also incorporate your lift pass but I'm not sure what happens if your battery is flat so this may be too teccy to be helpful. It's a cliche but we usually went to Chambre Neuf in town as the Swedish band are very good and the house does rock for a couple of hours sort of 5pm until 7pm. We turned in earlyish most nights but did go to Privilege twice, expensive but fun with a good DJ. Have fun, this was my first time last week and I was a bit negative about the spread outness of the skiing but it all works really well and, with the great snow, experienced some epic powder skiing every single day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ww166no, Maybe we've been lucky but the Lapin's always worked for us.

Re Cheval Rouge, no, no spanky barmaind, I just like grotty get what you came for bars.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the info all sounds great, have just downloaded the app which looks very useful. Another question there is now 6 of us going flying in to Geneva what's our best bet for a transfer? Dont really want to be hiring a car.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swell, there are loads of minibus companies at the airport, between 25 and 30euro a trip, just google 'chamonix airport transfers' they're all about as good as each other although Chamexpress seem to have the best on-line booking system and maybe run the most buses.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swell, http://www.chamonet.com/travel/transfers.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Munster and the. Monkey in Cham Sud, cheaper and have genuine happy hours (2 for 1) early evening.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy