Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites?

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like the Dolomites may have some more on Thu and Sat. Weather forecasts for the region are all over the place though at the moment so pot luck I reckon.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any updates on more snow today?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's snowing in Arabba today.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just got back from a fantastic week based at Pedraces-Badia. It snowed heavily non-stop all day on Tuesday 7th; must have put at least 20 cm down. I have to say that the pistes were already in pretty good nick before this.

Did the Sella Ronda (clockwise) on Wednesday, which was somewhat hectic with some very crowded runs at the start and finish. Snow was pretty good most of the way round, although very chopped up and scraped off even early in the day on the runs down to Arabba (probably due to the heavy traffic). I also got the impression that the Selva area hadn't had as big a snowfall as the Corvara side. Huge moghuls on the final few runs to the finish !!

Hidden Valley on Thursday was also in great condition. The piste surface was improved by wind-blown snow deposits. Very blowy and extremely cold at the top of the Lagazuoi.

Another 2-3 cm of snow during the day around Corvara yesterday (Saturday 11th). Spent the day skiing around La Villa, where the pistes were absolutely superb as a result - some of the best I've ever skied on. And virtually deserted too.

It was absolutely bloody freezing all week though, barely reaching above minus 8 C in the valleys, and minus 15 to minus 20 C at valley level on some mornings Skullie
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're heading out to the Sella Ronda you might want to load this superb terrain onto your system.

http://www.realitymaps.de/en/3d-online/references.html

The 'summer' Alta Badia map is so detailed you can clearly see the world war one trenches on the Co de Lana and the Lagozuoi.

There's also one for St Anton.......but i carn't see Yad Moss anywhere Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowed lightly on Sunday and it's forecast to snow Wednesday too.

Just sat in the Porto Vescova after having the blacks above Arabba to ourselves almost. All pistes so far have been in great condition Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Currently in San Martino in Badia. Pistes in the Kronplatz area are in top nick, the Piculin black run 'home' is a leg tester at the end of the day. No crowds to speak of and weather has been cold but fine - snow forecast tonight. Going to Arabba tomorrow and may do the Sella Ronda if the weather is okay.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Currently staying at Pian Frataces. We resolved last night to go to Hidden Valley (which is almost diametrically opposite), but the conditions today were very windy and cold, with fine snow and some lifts closed (saw some poor people trudging up the Belvedere slope, presumably in an attempt to get home to Arraba?). So we did the Sella Ronda instead. There appears to be much misinformation about the ski lifts that are open and closed, but we managed it OK. The skiing is good in the morning, but can get a bit icy in the afternoons. The snow is pretty ineffectual, but gives a slight dusting.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wind seems to have scoured off most of the new and existing snow now. There's a lot of hard/Icy patches on exposed runs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sella ronda closed in both directions this morning cos of the wind. Which we found out only at Sellajoch. As Dave_A says, the exposed pistes are rather scoured now but plenty of good skiing still to be had - we ended up at Seiseralm on good and near deserted pistes today. The link from the Comici hut to Monte Pana though was more like an ice rink in places, although the runs at Plan de Gralba were still very good. Half term in the UK seems to be a week before the rest of Europe and that's made a big difference to the queues here.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having had our 2nd attempt at finding what we're now referring to as "Happy Valley" aborted due to closure of Pordoi, we went over to Ciampanoi and enjoyed some fabulous runs on pretty deserted pistes. Saslong was great and would like to do it again, but we're running out of time. The riffugio "Sochers" at the top of it (just down from Ciampanoi bubble) is our hit for the great and cheap stinco.

Today looks nice (sunny, light cloud, not too breezy), but I guess the hard-packed-with-icy-patches conditions will continue.

People coming in Europe's half-term will get slim pickings unless a large dump comes soon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thewinelake, a few weeks ago the illuminated notices were warning of closures of Sella Ronda lifts due to wind - but we were still able to ski round. We decided that they put out the warnings if they think that they might close lifts in order that people do not end up marooned in the wrong valley.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Made it to Happy Valley today. A long wait for taxis at Armentarola, and a lot of polling on the way back (even with horses). Scotari was packed - and a mega wait for lunch. If you want their delicious looking mixed grill, go early (before 12!). Two of our party got stranded in Corvara, and the taxi fare back to Pian Frataces was an eye-watering €80, so I picked them up in our hire car. Just as well the roads were pretty clear (cue rant about not being able to hire cars with winter tyres from Venice!).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did the Sella Ronda anti -clockwise today and to my surprise the pistes were in really good condition. Amazing what the piste guys can do, considering the winds we've had here. The only hard packed bit was just before Dantercepies. We took a diversion to the Edelweiss valley - superb conditions there, especially the black down to the Edelweisshuette. The Dantercepies -Selva run was also fine; we kept to the left on the way down. And the Luiskeller at the end was as good as always Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dantercepies-Selva is great. How long do these diversions take? I would have done Marmolada, but was a little uncertain as to how to get there (and we even had a car!).
snow conditions
thewinelake, Edelweiss is just a short spur off the main Selva-Corvara section. Nice black in there iirc.
For Marmolada, ski to Arabba, go up the gondola on the Portovescovo side, and literally follow the Marmolada signs (2-3 ye olde worlde 2man chairs, then the 3 cable cars). Save that trip for a nice day though. We managed a full Sella Ronda loop and Marmolada in a day (and had a decent lunch) so it's definitely possible from Selva.
snow report
Does anyone else find the piste maps a bit useless compared to the french ones?
ski holidays
thewinelake, I do. love the dolomites but the piste map is pants
snow report
thewinelake, I do. love the dolomites but the piste map is pants
snow conditions
Not really noticed anything different between French, Austrian, Dolomites maps, other than the fact that all of them have gradually given way to more and more advertising. Dolomites piste signing is so good that you can navigate everywhere just by reading a sign. Think we only got piste maps out in the bar to review where we'd been and decide where to go in the afternoon.
latest report
Currently in La Villa in Badia. Snowing here all afternoon. Pistes in lovely condition.
latest report
Snowing in Canazei too - will be up there first thing in the morning Smile
snow conditions
Just back from a week in Corvara - started cold and snowy, then very windy mid-week, which blew all the new snow away. Despite that, pistes were still in surprisingly good condition pretty much everywhere.

High points: trip to Santa Croce and lunch up by the church - truly stunning place - worth booking the restaurant, as gets very full (we got the last free table - timing is everything!), Hidden Valley with the children for the first time (they loved the horse tow), grilled meat fest lunch up at the restaurant just along the ridge from the La Villa bubble - forget the name - expensive, but worth it!

Low points: getting stuck in Selva when the Dantercepies lift was shut due to wind (having had to trek back from Belvedere when the chair there also shut on us....) €10 pp taxi up to the pass to ski back through the hurricane! The lifties at Dantercepies were very good, though, keeping us informed and booking us a taxi when we decided that we did not want to wait until the bus that they provide (for free) arrived (kids had had enough by then).

Very low points - is it just me, or is Italy worse than anywhere else for out of control idiots? Both my boys were knocked down on blue runs by out of control 50 somethings who did not even bother to stop to see if they were OK - luckily neither hurt, but could have been very different. Not especially proud of this, but I caught up with both and gave them each a piece of my mind. But generally, I was suprised by how many people felt that hooning down a busy run ridiculously close to nervous skiers was acceptable. I even saw someone shoot through a ski school snake in two places (the same snake)!

I don't wnt to sound negative - we had a great week, and the dolomites were as stunning as ever. It could do with a good dump now, though.

Jimmybog, thanks for the response on driving through Passo Gardena. We got lucky with the car - having booked snow chains, the Avis guy in Bergamo mentioned that they had one car with winter tyres (same cost as snow chains), so we took that - very grateful for it, as there was about an inch on snow compacted on the road, and I would not have wanted to be one of the people we saw struggling with chains in the dark at -17C! Top tip - ring the local Avis office and request snow tyres - apparently they can usually arrange something.
ski holidays
rg1, I have to agree with you re the out-of-control skiers here in this part of Italy, at any rate. Saw two accidents on the same easy blue slope within a couple of hours of each other today, both with medical attention at the scene. There is a lot of flailing about on the slopes here. Sticking to reds where possible in the interests of safety! It is a downside to an otherwise fantastic area...

I'm no expert but does anyone have any stats on whether there are more ski accidents in Italy than other countries?!
ski holidays
easiski always complains about out of control Italian snowbladers in les Deux Alpes.
snow report
Strange, but from my week, I'd say that the out of control skiers weren't as bad as in most French resorts - partly because the slopes weren't generally so crowded. Good to hear that the snow has returned.

I suppose a major criticism of Dolomites must be the lack of variety in slopes for more advanced (but not off piste) skiers. A friend of mine who loves the mogul fields in Val d'Isere was disappointed not to find any - but with that piste map, it'd be hard to find them. I should have asked in here where they are!!!

Also, I couldn't tell much difference between reds and blues. The few blacks we did were fairly marginal too, but I suppose conditions were quite benign.
snow conditions
thewinelake, Italians don't do moguls. Any potential mogul fields that you develop over the week are invariably flattened thurday night ready for the weekend hoards.
ski holidays
Had about 15 cm of snow last night, it was still coming down this morning when I went up so visibility wasn't great but the pistes were in good nick with a decent layer of soft stuff on them first thing. Tommorrow should be a good day with blues skies, sunshine some nice fluffy stuff off-piste and freshly groomed pistes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anymore updates please??????
ski holidays
Bit warmer today, this morning the pistes were in good condition but after lunch starting to get a bit slushy lower down on the home run back to Canazei.
snow conditions
Just wondering whether anyone has further updates on Dolomites - heading out to selva a week today. Children's illnesses permitting ....
snow report
robertsnerys, I got back from Arabba yesterday. We arrived on 25th Feb to warm temps and receding snow, mainly on the South facing hillsides. I was a bit worried, as it looked the worst conditions I had seen compared to the previous four years. From the Sunday to the Tuesday the temps did drop and on two nights they had the snow cannons at full pelt. Consequently the pistes were pretty good the following days, with the snow being softer lower down. However from Wednesday it got sunnier and warmer and after lunch most pistes were soft with them becoming really soft lower down, to the point where my skis were sticking. I had to go get them waxed with warm temp wax to help them glide a bit better.

On Wednesday we passed through Selva and conditions were similar. I.e. soft to slushy snow after lunch.

The good news is that Dolomitisuperski do a fantastic job in maintaining the pistes and most pistes have good cover due to snow cannon coverage. Some pistes in the Corvara area had grass showing (Pralongia area) and a couple of pistes were closed. By Friday it was really sunny and we spent a nice lunch outside at Santa Croce.

By the end of the week and in spite of the warm temps, we both really enjoyed the spring like conditions as it made a change for us from our previous cold and snowy visits to Arabba. That said, when we go back next year I would prefer it to be back to "normal". On the last day we tried to off the side of the black run in Arabba back to our hotel as normal but ran out of snow and got stuck on a mole hill. Laughing

Speaking to the locals and looking at the forecasts, the temps will drop and there should be some snowfall. I don't think it will be enough to cover the hillsides but it will make a big difference to the pistes and with sub zero temps the pistes will be harder and they can use the snow cannons again, although I was told that the water supplies are lower than normal, so I guess they cannot run these every night.
ski holidays
Pokemon, wow, thanks for that, great report. Sounds like you had a great time.

We are not high-mileage skiers so as long as there are a few KMs we will be happy! I do hate that slushy sugary stuff tho, I am not a brilliant skier and do struggle with, erm, less than optimum conditions.
snow conditions
robertsnerys, I think given the forecasts you will fare better in a week than the people who've gone out this weekend as it will allow for some snowfall and piste maintenance with cold colder conditions, allowing them to use the snow cannons. Have a great time, it's a beautiful area.
ski holidays
I'm guessing that this IS a more ordinary season with the snow in the northern and western alps rather than the southern alps and Dolomites. Its the last four seasons that have been unusual.

Interesting point about the water supplies. I was wondering how they would be coping because the Dolomites have been extremely dry since at least the Autumn.

On the positive side however they will not have lost any skiing days this year to avalanche or gales and should have been able to offer very reliable skiing for their visitors so far.

Thanks for the detailed update. Going out in two weeks. Carn't wait !
latest report
Peter S, I was told by a local that this was the worst year for 8 years but they agreed that it was still fine for skiing and it just looks worse because of low snow cover on the hillsides. I started going going out to Arabba in 2008 and have been every year since, always at the end of Feb other than 2010 when we went the first week of Feb. In 2008 it was warm but had more snow cover than this year. 2009 was the year they had 7 metres from the start of the season to the point when I went. 2010 and 2011 both had a lot of snow as well. Other than it looking more stunning the amount of snow to some degree hasn't made a lot of difference. It's just having warm temps that causes soft snow which is the main downside. This can happen even if there is loads of snow. As you say at least the lifts stay open and the pistes are safe, offering reliable skiing.

Have a great time.
snow conditions
It's been snowing all day today and doesn't look like it's going to stop very soon. Lots of fluffy flakes coming down here at 1500m so it should be nice up there tomorrow.
snow conditions
Good news, is it colder now?

Any idea how much snow has fallen?

Going out there on Sat for a week, hopefully all will be well?
latest report
robertsnerys wrote:
Just wondering whether anyone has further updates on Dolomites - heading out to selva a week today. Children's illnesses permitting ....

We are back from selva and had a similar story to the others. However its turned much colder so the new snow and ability to run the snow cannons will help. I think they'd be seriously screwed without it.
It was certainly useful to be out for 1st lift to benefit from the previous nights grooming. I wish I'd taken my climbing kit now it was so warm.

Its also the most spectacular scenery I've ever had at a ski resort (I've climbed there in the summer so knew what to expect)
snow conditions
Lets hope the colder temps continue and the fresh snow helps to freshen everything up. And with a bit of snow making it may just be ok next week. Fingers crossed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy