Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites?

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Corvara on the 22nd but there appears to be a distinct lack of snow. Should we change plans and try somewhere else? Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As others have said on this site, whilst the Dolomites haven't had anything like the quantities of snow in the Arlberg, piste skiing there is by all accounts still very good - almost all slopes are open, refreshed by a few cms last night.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were in Selva over Christmas and the pistes were in great condition. We had 4 glorious sunny days and 2 days of snow. Some friends have just got back and it snowed quite a lot while they were there, so you I don't think you have anything to worry about.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I really would not worry - I have been to the Dolomites many times and often there has been little or no recent snow fall. The snow making facilities are brilliant (providing the temps are low ) anf they really work hard to maintain the pistes.

Please post a report here on what it was like when you get back as we are going at half term to the Dolomites.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK thanks! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am on sella ronda today and it's superb! Only a fool would rebook. Relax and look forward to your holiday as you will love it.
By the way we had a bit of snow overnight, and a few centimers extra today.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daveqpr, There next week, thanks for that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sella Ronda is desperate for some snow. The pistes are (almost) all open and have plenty of snow on them - or at least under them. But it hasn't snowed for ages and the pistes range between hard and fast and really very hard and icy. Haven't seen any sheets of ice, and if you like cruising motorway pistes under blazing sun (at 15 degrees below...) then you'll be very happy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We last skied on Friday, and the only prolonged bit of hard-pack that we found on the Sella Ronda was the descent from Campitello towards Canazei (and that was right at the end of the day).
I was amazed what the pisteurs managed to do with snow cannon and a lot of hard work.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm off to canazei on Saturday, hoping for some new snow but doesn't look likely over the next few days! Feel much happier reading through this though, as still sounds like the piste conditions are holding up.

Any reccomendations on which areas have the best snow? Assuming marmolade/higher the better?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Portavescovo slopes in Arraba & Marmolada slopes were all absolutley fine on Friday - infact those reds / blacks down the front of the PV still had corduroy on them at 3ish in the afternoon...

Corvara needs snow - some nasty boiler plate up on the Pralonga slopes.

If u can make it - Cortina was in v good knick..... prob cause no one ski's / boards there due to the crappy cable cars up from town, that and having long lunches wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Garethb82, the pistes down from the top of the Marmolada were the best that we came across all week - but generally all pistes were pretty decent on the Sella Ronda itself, and behind Corvara and the Plan de Gralba (between Selva and Campitello) areas had truly excellent snow. Where are you staying in Canazei?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks chaps

Staying in a chalet about 10 min walk from the gondola apparently so assuming fairly central. First time to the dolomites, typical that we decide to have a break from the alps and it snows biblical proportions!

As long as we can ski its all good Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keep the updates coming in please, off to Canazei on 28th, so quite hopeful of the predicted 'storm' next week. Garethb82, if you are staying at Violetta, let me know what the walk to the Gondela is like, as i'm thinking of booking all ski's and boots into boot store by cable car, as i usually end up carrying mine and the OH's whilst she checks out the shops.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah that's where we are staying Smile No worries ill let you know how far it is if I get onto WiFi somewhere to access SH's.

On another note, anyone know roughly how much a local hire shop will charge to wax my skis?
snow report
stew72, Sport Walther is right next door to the bottom station of the gondola and charges 2E per person per night. Also nearby is Fosco - not sure of the price - and you can leave them at the top of the first gondola - not sure of the price.
ski holidays
Yeah that's where we are staying Smile No worries ill let you know how far it is if I get onto WiFi somewhere to access SH's.

On another note, anyone know roughly how much a local hire shop will charge to wax my skis?
latest report
Back from Arabba on Sunday, great skiing all week under mostly sunny skies, no fresh but the 40cm in the first week in Jan kept it mostly fresh, plenty of snowmaking going on and this is used to repair the pistes overnight. Some exposed areas are windblown and hard, notably around Pralongia above San Cassiano. The lower south facing off-piste areas are looking patchy and brown in places , but all the pistes are complete and perfectly skiable, but could do with some fresh.

Garethb82, I paid €15 for edges & wax in the sports shop under the Garni Laura in Arabba last week.

stew72, the Crystal chalets Violetta/Traviata are a long walk (700m) from the Canazei gondola, a bit further to the Alba cablecar (1200m), but there's a really good skibus service that links all these right through to the Campitello cablecar and runs every 10 mins at peak times. I once stayed at chalet Rigoletto which was just about walkable in ski boots (250m) to the Belvedere gondola in Canazei.

http://www.fassa.com/EN/Skibus-service/
latest report
Piste conditions are still good, on the exposed pistes there is some wind effected hard pack but generally the pistes are in good shape. Meant to have a bit of snow over the next couple of days that should freshen it all up.
The Hidden Valley horse sleighs weren't working yesterday and won't be until it snows again so if you are heading that way check it out before you set off!
ski holidays
victoriac, Was the Hidden Valley run itself ok? don't mind a bit of poleing
latest report
Bergfex and snow forecast now predicting 20cm + over the weekend.
snow report
Had a nice bit of snow yesterday and today and there's more firecast this week. Got some fresh tracks this morning Smile
Hidden Valley was fine, had a couple of hardpacked spots but apart from notihing to complain about and the horses should be back at work now!
ski holidays
victoriac, Canazei v Bansko? A no-brainer. wink However, Selva is slightly ahead Canzei IMV. Madeye-Smiley We were in Selva over Xmas,
latest report
stew72, Northland ski hire shop also has a locker room in the basement. About 10 euro for the week and 50mts from gondola, you pay in the shop upstairs. steps are to the left of the shop door. I don't think you need to hire from them to use it.
snow conditions
Mollerski, I shan't rise Very Happy however I (and my powder skis) will be paying a visit to Bansko next week snowHead
Did an extended Sella Ronda yesterday with the guests - everything in very good shape and it's snowing again today.
stew72, another vote for the Northland ski locker- really handy, your boots will be nice and warm and the staff are very friendly.
ski holidays
My worries about the ski conditions in the Dolomites have been totally unfounded. Here in Corvara and Arabba the pistes are in top notch condition. There was a miniscule amount of snow last night - just enough to fill the grooves in the corduroy. There isn't any off piste but the sunshine makes up for that as far as I'm concerned. The only queue we've encountered was the one for Jimmy's Hutte. Very Happy
snow report
Our last day skiing here in the Dolomites. It tried to snow in Arabba today but the sun eventually broke through. Pistes are fast so sharpen up your edges.
ski holidays
Also in the Dolomites. No snow today in Cortina but the pistes are generally in very good shape - bit icy late afternoon but nothing too bad. The horses at the end of the Hidden Valley are now running. Snow in the Edelweiss valley above Colfosco is particularly good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from canazei, as above, great weeks skiing. Could do with a bit more snow again now but pistes still perfectly useable when we left. Some of the sella Ronda route gets a bit busy and some runs get chopped up and over skied, but aside from that v good! Smile

Hidden valley horses def running fine last week!
snow report
I'm back from a week in Selva - as people have said, not a lot of fresh snow, but the runs were well maintained. Lagazuoi, Santa Croce, and La Longia were all great. We did get some heavy queueing for Borest in Corvara on the way back to Selva after 3pm.

We stayed in SkiTotal's Chalet Igloo - it was good for a group of 7 but the small bedroom would be very 'cosy' for two in a group of 8. (They claimed a 3min walk to the lifts, which might be ok in trainers on a clear path, but is optimistic for walking in ski books on ice.)
latest report
Just got back from Canazei, so thought i'd let you know about the conditions. Not suprisingly, in need of some more snow, the 'off-piste' areas are grass. However, the pistes are absolutely fine. We had 3 bad light days and 3 clear days. On the clear days the skiing was superb (Sasslong in about 6 mins), but as always the Sella Ronda runs got chopped up badly by mid day. On the three bad light days, when it was light snow all day, the pistes held up better, but there seemed to be more accidents. If you want good skiing, get off the SR (we particularly liked the Sasslong and Orteisi areas). Due to the cold weather, the afternoon ice was a problem on some of the SR steep slopes (Kamakazie corner). The biggest problem by far was the Russians. Far too many of them, and most of them seemed to be half cut by 10am. Will do a Resort Report today hopefully.
ski holidays
Returned yesterday from Selva. Corvara area definitely had more snow cover than Val Gardena or Canazei. But we skiied the Sella Ronda, Col Raiser, Marmolada and Santa Croce, and nowhere were there any problems with snow cover on piste. So if you're heading out there relax and be assured of a great holiday.
ski holidays
Apologies if this a bit off topic.

We are drving to Corvara from Bergamo on Saturday. I was intending to take the obvious route up to Selva and over the Passo Gardena (I have driven to Selva before, which was easy, but never over the pass to Corvara). However, the hotel website is suggesting that the best route in winter is to keep heading North and turn off the A22 after Bressanone on the E66 and then come in via San Lorenzo, San Martino in Badia and La Villa. That looks an awfully long way round.

Does anyone have any experience of driving the Passo Gardena in winter and know how bad it is likely to be. Don't want to get stuck, but would prefer to avoid what looks like an extra hour on the journey.

Thanks in advance
latest report
rg1, unless there has been heavy snowfall then the Passo Gardena should definately be driveable. Keep an eye on the forecasts right up to before you go and then make a decision from there. If the forecasts are showing heavy snow then I would maybe go the long way round. Otherwise I would personally go via Selva and over the pass. Either way just make sure you have snow chains handy. I think even the road from Corvara to St Lorenzo can get bad if its snowing heavily.
snow report
Judging by the webcams, it seems to be honking it down today in the Alta Badia area at least.

http://www.armentarola.com/en/surroundings/webcam.asp

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, these were my thoughts too. Groednertal seems to have also got a fair amount too judging from the webcams. Loads better than the measerly 2cm predicted by Snowforecast
snow report
Looks as if that Adriatic low delivered. Nice.

snowHead
snow conditions
This is really dreadful news - NOT!!

Off to the Dolomites on Sunday - only 5 sleeps to go Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chris Bish, It's been snowing all day and conditions are epic. Madeye-Smiley

There are many happy Snowheads. snowHead
ski holidays
Webcams look brilliant! I can't wait to get out there!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy