Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All mountain skis

Poster: A snowHead
So, I'm thinking I fancy some all terrain skis.

I'm an experienced piste skier and can hold my own in most terrains. Over the last couple of years I have expanded my outlook to include more off-piste + some (small) jumps and cliffs. I have no desire to ride in the park. I'm too old and I owuld look ridiculous.

I reckon to go with about 60% on and 40% off-piste over the 3 weeks I am in the mountains each winter.

Any of you guys have experience of a) trying and / or b) buying freeride skis?

Are the new manufacturers (Line, Movement etc.) any good? Or am I best off sticking with a well-known brand?

Thoughts, comments, typical webboard abuse all welcome.

Cheers

Zammo
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi zammo, welcome!

Where abouts do you tend to go on your trips?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi zammo, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead I can't help you with your query I'm afraid, although I could give you some abuse if you wish wink Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cathy Coins, are you still doing that? Has your number changed, cause I tried calling: 0898 WHIP ME CATHY that I got off your business card, but the line was dead... snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the volkl ac4 seem to be raved about at the minute though not a freeride ski.But with an 82 waist it may be what you are looking for. Plus the graphics aren't as radical as freeride skis
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zammo, I bought some of the highly-rated Dynastar Legend 8000s last year, and I reckon they're pretty much ideal for what you describe. They replaced some Rossi XX (not B2s), and I feel they are a) much more responsive and b) much happier on piste than the XXs. I've not tried other recent competition though so can't really comment on alternatives - I demoed the Legends, loved them, the reviews were pretty much universally raves, and so could see no reason not to buy them (especially when a little-used pair came up on eBay for about half retail). I got the 184s as at my weight (90kg+) the 178s I demoed didn't really carry me too well in deep soft snow.

If you're looking at spending even more time in the fluffy stuff though you may be better looking at the 8800s.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zammo, Welcome to snowHeads.

Easy choice, the Atomic Metron b5. Absolutely superb, providing you're about 170lbs min.

Check out http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=22186

Or if you're on the light side or want something slightly tamer then there's the Metron M11.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, blimey, you've hung onto that card for a long time now haven't you??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zammo,

Hi

The same old names will came out for this tyoe of use.

3 choices spring to mind

Atomic Metron b5
Dynastar 8000
and
Stockli Stormriders XL

Stick any one of these skis in the search facilty to get various raves about them
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zammo, IF f you can, it's best to demo, and then go for the cheapest you can find.... I ski on Intuitiv Bigs (predessor of the Legend). Most reviews panned them - but they work for me ! Mrs Ski uses Phat Luvs and luvs them. ... Hope that thelps Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski, I've just sold my beloved Bigs Crying or Very sad the ones with the sort of swallow tail. all time classic ski if you ask me whatever the poxy reviewers say. replaced them with Legend Pros which I cannot wait to try out

In a word (or 5) - the Dynastar freeride range rocks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys - and very little abuse!

This year's plans so far are for Austria where a mate owns a guesthouse (cheap) and 10 days in somewhere called Canadia which I understand is across some body of water. I need something pretty versatile so your suggestions much appreciated.

I'm asuming that rad and gnarly grafix (sp?) are unaccpetable once a person is over 30?

The 8000s sound like they could be the one.

Has anyone tried Line's Assassin MTX Pro?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zammo wrote:
I'm asuming that rad and gnarly grafix (sp?) are unaccpetable once a person is over 30?

Nobody told me! (cue pic of my Pistols) Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zammo,
XLs and Legends are cool enough they don't need a high profile paint job.

The Metrons are a well kept secret that is leaking out all the time, especially in Europe - The US got them straight away according to posters on here . Might not be condusive to humping up a ridge too far though...!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zammo, rad graphics are so last year. natural materials are what you're after:

http://www.capitalskis.com/tech.asp

(quite tempted to check these guys out when I'm in Whistler later this year - the skis look beauuuutiful)
snow conditions
Arno - stunning looking planks, but even at today's exchange rate they're not exactly cheap, are they?

I mean I don't mind shelling out a reasonable amount on the skis I want, but I think I may have to leave these until I've found a way to make a million.
snow report
Not exactly all mtn some of them but look like a whole world of fun

Public enemys
Line Chronic
Seth Vicious
Mojo 80
Good all mtn twins just depends on how fat and flex you want them
ski holidays
zammo,
Quote:

Wear a helmet. No one will know............
latest report
zammo, it's all canadian dollars so they come out around the £400 mark (except the really huge ones). not cheap, but pretty competitive considering the segment they occupy - ie I'd say they are up against pro model/top of the line freeride skis which are bleedin expensive. and considering they are custom made to your spec...
maybe i'm just trying to talk myself into a purchase. better stop...
latest report
Arno, you know you really want these.

You didn't need that other ACL either.
snow conditions
comprex, unfortunately here in europeland we don't get the conditions to justfy things like that v often. saw on another forum that the Capital Versatile (a mere 92mm underfoot wink ) was quite light so i was considering that as a beefy but light touring set-up
snow report
fat is best...
ski holidays
I thought he wanted 60% on piste...
snow report
slikedges,

Yep, thats what he said so 80 is the max I would say...!!
latest report
Slight hijack: has anyone skied the Public Enemies in Europe as an everyday ski? How does it carve on piste, hold on ice and ski old snow off piste (compared say to the Legend 8000 or Bandit B2) ? It can be bought quite cheaply, but I am wary of an 118/85/109 everyday ski (let's say for 60% on piste) even tho the new AC4 has an 82 waist. Any thoughts ?
ski holidays
sugardaddy, I know of several skiers/instructors who use PEs as everyday skis, and i'd have to say, if I had to go back to one ski, then they would be on my shortlist (along with the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel)
latest report
sugardaddy, I use my Volkl Karmas as everyday skis and they are slightly fatter (87mm waist) - just takes a bit more work on the hard stuff (more edge angle), in fact I found that in the race course (not too icy at the time) and on piste they actually made me ski better because they forced me to set an edge earlier and be more patient rather than trying to force a turn - then you have the advantage that off piste they rock!! snowHead

Last season Tom Pro (Dave Murray Course head coach) was on his Sugar Daddy's (Pimp editions, I think!) and was helping Otto Kamstra (head of the Whistler/Blackcomb ski school) with a bit of racing technique, so I think with enough talent you can ski anything in any conditions and make it look good. Unfortunately I'm rather lacking in the talent department so I just live with having to look a bit (very) raggedy! snowHead
ski holidays
I have had a pair of PE's since Feb 2004. I also have a pair of Volkl 5*'s. I can probably count on one hand the number of days I have skied on the 5*'s since I bought the PE's. The only thing about the PE's on piste is that they have a fairly wide radius, but as they are quite soft they can be worked fairly easily and so shorter turns are not a problem. They also throw a huge amount of snow out behind them which can be very amusing!

By the way I am not denigrating the 5*'s in any way - they are also awesome skis, just a little less versatile in particular if you are likely to be skiing off the groomed stuff.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've heard lots of good stuff about these famous PEs - given that much of my time is spent in Europe, what are they like in the crud?
snow conditions
Hmm, Wear The Fox Hat, i just read your ski test over on Epic and you said something about the PE and Hot rod being completly different skis. Care to elaborate? also, it seems to me that the tail on the PE really shortens the ski (more than other twin tips) so i should go a bit long?
stuarth, how did you find the Karmas in crud and icy bumps? Also, what lenght do you ski them?
M80euf, the new PE shold be stiffer and is 85 underfoot. Should ski a bit different. The question is, is this a markentin change (ride the "phatter is better" wave) ?
zammo, i'd like to know , too
snow conditions
sugardaddy, if I was to buy the PE as my only ski, I'd buy it in 179. Currently my Heads are 170, and my Pistols are 179.
I just looked up the Epic thread and read where I said about the PEs being a 1 ski quiver. My comparison between the Top Fuels and the Axis X Pro maybe says it all - the Axis X Pro was an excellent ski on piste, in crud, and some powder. In the bumps, and in the park, it was too stiff, and in deep powder the weight, stiffness, and shape made them a bit too much work. But, in normal skiing, it was excllent. snowHead
The PEs would probably be slower edge to edge than the Top Fuels, but would have better capabilities off piste and in the park.
So, if you weight your skiing more to piste than pow or park, then go Top Fuels, but if you're hitting more of the mountain, go PE.
snow report
I have skied my PE's in all conditions from crud, slush, pow, ice and nicely groomed and found them to be extremely versatile. Mine are 179's but ideally I would have them a bit longer as I am a heavey bloke. To be honest I have never had any particular issues with the skis when it comes to conditions and I would rather have more width underfoot than sidecut if I have to choose just one ski.

I haven't had the chance to demo any other ski since I bought my PE's. I haver skied on B2's and can highly reccomend them if you are looking for one all-round ski. I have never tried Stormriders - they are certsanly well liked on this forum and am looking forward to trying some if/when I get the opportunity. Ditto the Atomic Metrons.

I am currently pondering what sort of ski to buy this year (if any) - It seems to me that I should go for an out and out piste/slalom ski like the Rossi 9S or go for a longer/fatter off piste weapon. Decisions, decisions..... Very Happy
snow conditions
sugardaddy, Karmas are outstanding crud skis, they are pretty stiff so you need to ski them a bit faster, but it makes blasting through the crud great fun. Due to the width (or maybe my lack of talent) they are not the best ice skis but for their size they are pretty nimble so not bad at all in the bumps, though I only unleashed them once it really started snowing in Whistler (Mid march!) so I've not really skied many icy bumps with them, mostly just big soft ones, and they rock.
WTFH probably will have a different opinion, but the thing I hated most about Seth Pistols were skiing firm bumps. Did I say Karmas are stiff - maybe that's why I didn't like the Pistols? How do PEs compare stiffness wise?

Mine are 177s (I'm about 174 cm, 80Kg, pretty aggressive skier type). They are also a quality peice of German engineering, built from Tiger tanks, so even a full on landing at speed onto a cunningly hidden pointy rock didn't manage to tear a hole right through them, or bust an edge snowHead

As someone pointed out on a different thread, once you get use to fatter skis you'll never want to go back (except for the odd icy day, or racing), afterall what I considered my old fat skis (1080s) are now about standard sized ones
ski holidays
stuarth, I totally agree about fat skis - I can only see myself buying non-fats for pure piste skiing which basically means race training.

I originally bought tried and then bought the PE's because they were considerably stiffer and wider than most twin-tips, without being an out and out off-piste ski like the Pistols or the Karma. But stiff in this context is a relative term, as they are a lot softer than my 5*'s.

And by the way, rad and gnarly graphics are fine in my book - I'm 34 next week wink
ski holidays
Does anybody think skis like Volkl Superspeed 4/5/6 are up to the all mountain job, particularly when piste bias is required?

New to the forum - liking the content!!!
latest report
Phatairs,

welcome

Never skied them but they get plenty votes on here for this tyoe of skiing. You could always type in the string in the search facilty at the top left of the page under user facilties.
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
WTFH probably will have a different opinion...

No, not a "different opinion", just a factual comment that you are wrong. Wronger than a big wrong thing that won the world's wrongest wrong thing contest, which was held on the wrong day at the wrong venue. Laughing

stuarth wrote:
How do PEs compare stiffness wise?

The PEs felt a lot stiffer - they definitely felt more like a piste ski.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
stuarth wrote:
WTFH probably will have a different opinion...

No, not a "different opinion", just a factual comment that you are wrong. Wronger than a big wrong thing that won the world's wrongest wrong thing contest, which was held on the wrong day at the wrong venue. Laughing

Laughing Laughing

Wear The Fox Hat, are you in the circus? In the bumps Seth pistols felt pretty much like big floppy clown shoes to me!! wink
snow report
stuarth, have you ever tried blue supernoodles? Laughing
ski holidays
<sticks head above parapet>

Try the Salomon 1080

<pulls head back quick>

regards,

Greg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy