Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan - Powder skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I'm keen to hear all things about Japan skiing and am looking for advice.............

Thinking pretty seriously about doing a big trip, maybe next year or year after to Japan, likely with a small group and keen to investigate DIY options as well as tour operator advice (but likely prefer DIY), has anyone got experience/ thoughts/ costed it up, so they can offer advice to a total Japan novice?!

Things I'm keen to hear about are:-

trip duration, eg 10 days vs 2 weeks etc, jetlag effects etc
hotels/ resorts, eg Niseko/ transfers/ car hire/ road signs (useful to know where going I guess)
best timing re powder and guiding tips
routes/ must do's in resorts
Food/ culture

Thanks in advance Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
something I learned at the Scottish Ski Show...

Japan has more ski resorts than any other country in the world!

Hopefully these 10,000 free flights will happen and a fair few snowheads will get to use them.

There was a great trip report on here from last season about skiing out there. I think it was just after the tsunami.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29, Did you see this thread about free flights to Japan? :
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1871272&highlight=free+flights+japan#1871272
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markymark29, I think that's all been covered in here already:

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=site%3Asnowheads.com+japan&fp=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&cad=b
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just doa search on here under author "Mike Pow" your get all the info you need.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Use the search engine at the top and type Japan, it actually works!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29

Mike Pow knows a fair bit about Hokkaido, and has skied enough around the world to be able to speak with some authority. He's also one of the nicest guys you could ever share a lift with. Trust him when he speaks.

For mine:

trip duration:
Basically, if you're going to travel that far & spend that much on airfares, (approx £500-£550) I'd recommend you spend as much time as your budget / job / wife or life will allow. On Hokkaido, from mid January on you'll have bottomless pow for six weeks +.

hotels/ resorts, eg Niseko/ transfers/ car hire/ road signs (useful to know where going I guess)
Lots of this info can be had at the following sites:
http://www.powderlife.com/ (Good local Niseko site, lots of info plus direct accommodation & services bookings)
http://www.powderhounds.com/Japan/Hokkaido.aspx (Another media site, this time out of AUS)
http://www.skiing-hokkaido.com/ (Clunky, but put together by "Hokkaido Tourism")

Rental cars
Toyota rents loads of vehicles and has an easy to understand English site. Make sure you request an English language nav unit though! And DON'T FORGET your International Driving Permit!!! Your trip will be over before you start if you do. Nippon Rentacar is also okay... but it only works for Hokkaido.
http://www.rent-a-lease.com/english/
http://www.nrh.co.jp/travel/en/index.html

Best timing re powder and guiding tips
see above... late Jan on.

Where do you start?! There's so much good stuff that a list is kinda pointless. The one thing I'd say is that you want to have the fattest skis you can find and be damn fit. Lots of the best stuff in Japan you'll have to hike for - but that's the same anywhere. The hits all the pros are dropping in this year's big movies aren't right under the lift lines. Be prepared to look around, and to really make the most of a trip, HIRE A LOCAL GUIDE! Anytime you get into a new area try and find a guide and ask how many seasons they've been there. Fewer than three and they're probably not worth talking to... A guide will know the best place on any given day, take you to places where you'll be the only crew out there, and be able to show you all the stuff you'd otherwise spend a week looking for & even then maybe not find... And if you find the good stuff early in your visit you can session it for a few days before you head off to the next spot.

Food/ culture
Again, there's lots to see and talk about. The food is amazing, and the supermarket Sushi & Japanese food in Japan is better than most fine Japanese restaurants O/S.

Reference: More than 15 years in Japan. Getting more deep turns each season than most people see in a lifetime.

Hope this helps...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kuri, Great stuff, thanks, plenty for me to get looking at here. Much appreciated.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No probs dude.

If you have anything specific you're looking for feel free to throw it up and I'll do my best to respond...

Just talk with anyone who's been - from proskiers to first timers - Japan rocks. If you even like the idea of powder, the following clip probably tells you all you'd ever need to know about why people so many of the world's best freeskiers & boarders hit up Hokkaido every single year...

http://www.youtube.com/user/JaPowClips#p/u/4/0YXSbMhoMMs

Enjoy!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kuri, Wow, keen to get out there, hopefully next season - just taking time to trying to suss most cost effective way of doing it.

Will PM you with any questions in a few weeks once I've got my head round it, cheers.

HAVE FUN!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kuri, wow indeed Toofy Grin , off to hakkuba and nieseko in feb and cant wait, have spoke to mike pow re guiding in nieseko, but could do with a few pointers for happo-one as i will skiing on my own there , also any tips on things to do whilst in tokyo would be cool Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29 wrote:
I'm keen to hear all things about Japan skiing and am looking for advice.............

Thinking pretty seriously about doing a big trip, maybe next year or year after to Japan, likely with a small group and keen to investigate DIY options as well as tour operator advice (but likely prefer DIY), has anyone got experience/ thoughts/ costed it up, so they can offer advice to a total Japan novice?!

Things I'm keen to hear about are:-

trip duration, eg 10 days vs 2 weeks etc, jetlag effects etc

Can only speak for Hokkaido, but 10 days minimum.

You can route through Honshu (Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya) if you intend to ski on Honshu and/or hit Kyoto for cultural stuff. Alternatively you can route through Hong Kong (Cathay) or Seoul (Korean) and then to Chitose (CTS) on Hokkaido.

Quote:

Niseko is the epicentre of Hokkaido skiing and I would recommend starting your trip here. Best blend of Japan and Western. Choices are hotels, self catering apartments, and B&B (western and Japanese).

If there's a group of you and you intend hitting a few resorts then renting your own vehicle may be the go. Otherwise easy to get to and from the airport via bus.

Quote:
best timing re powder and guiding tips

The five winters I've been involved with the Niseko Resort Area, Jan and Feb offer the best chance of deep powder on a deep base. However this is the busiest time of the season - Australian school holidays, Chinese New Year. But that's relative compared with Europe. Busy Niseko = busy US resort.

Jan 07 - 375cm______Feb 07 - 235cm
Jan 08 - 569cm______Feb 08 - 291cm
Jan 08 - 334cm______Feb 09 - 277cm
Jan 10 - 590cm______Feb 10 - 260cm
Jan 11 - 600cm______Feb 11 - 205cm

Quote:

Start with Niesko.
Day trips to Moiwa, Chisenupuri, Rusutsu, Kiroro, Sapporo Kokusai, Teine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, Thanks Mike, great advice............starting to get the picture, NEED to be there, sounds brilliant!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kuri, Been looking at the links you posted - From Sapporro whats the best way to do transfer to Niseko, if we did a DIY trip?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29, if you can get to the ski show, london or birmingham, there's a ski/visit japan stand with loads of real helpful info etc, and good for a chat about all things involved with a trip east Cool
snow report
Neilski, Cant make either........cheers tho'
ski holidays
Markymark29, Shame, have just spent the last two nights pouring over shiny leaflets and piste maps and visitor guides , it really does look great.

Have a look at the snow Japan website , think it will be a good source of info when the snow starts falling Very Happy
snow conditions
Markymark29, there are frequent buses from both the airport at Chitose and downtown Sapporo to Niseko. Also most hotels/hostels offer reasonably priced transfers.
snow report
Or have a chat with Ben Thorpe at Japan Ski Experience

http://www.japanskiexperience.co.uk/

He's at the shows this weekend and next.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, which sites do you use for weather forecasts etc?? Managed to negotiate myself a pass for a Japan trip last night Smile
snow conditions
Well played

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Niseko/6day/mid

http://www.powderlife.com/niseko-snow-report
snow report
I trust I will be met by such sights as I arrive Smile

Silhouettes from Thom Heald
http://vimeo.com/21292492

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 25-10-11 11:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
kitenski, Awesome!!
snow report
off to japan in feb and will be in niseko from march 1st , the mate i am going with has been recomended these guys for a backcountry day or two, anybody been with or heard of or work for them , any info would be cool

http://www.nac-web.com/nisekoskischool/e_win2.htm
latest report
I used Hokkaido powder guides. They are based in Furano but do trips elsewhere. Great outfit.
I started with an avalanche training course and liked it so much I booked a few trips with them. It is run by a Canadian guy.

I would reccommend a day trip to Asahidake, great to get away from the Australians of Niseko for a day! Ski an active volcano which you will have pretty much to yourselves.

Niseko is great but there are other gems in Hokkaido that should not be missed. Hire a car if you can.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy