Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming to other amade resorts - how easy ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to schladming early jan and am wondering how easy it is to access other areas on the amade pass from there by public transport.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nickH, I've sent you a PM.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks geepee, reply sent
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickH, Try to get to Falgeralm (several busses each morning,on lift pass, from planai lift base) - easyish terrain but deserted and great to really press hard on the gas. Easy train to Radstadt (about 15mins) and from there onto Altenmarkt - for a longer day (early start) get to Altenmarkt and link up with the busses to Flachau, Zauchensee etc.Bear in mind that Schladming has 3-4 "home" hills lift linked and most piste linked that all have worthwhile stuff going on before you need/want to start travelling.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
briand6868, Thanks for tip about falgeralm -I like to open it up at times but always v. aware of others around so good to know where the quiet pistes are. Will certainly be checking out the schladming area first, but like to rack up the miles & explore so just checking out the options available. Starting to play a bit with off piste -can you recommend any easy spots should the snow conditions allow ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nickH, Zauchensee is well worth a visit from Schladming. Different feel in the area, a bit higher and all excellent, including Flachauwinkl on the other side. It might require a bit of effort to get there on public transport, probably 2 buses. Some easy accessible off piste there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Tom W, zauchensee definitely well up the list of places to go if conditions and transport allow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For Schladders to Zauch alternative is train to Radstadt, bus to Radstadt ski hill, gondola up, ski down Altenmarkt side, wait for Zauch bus.
The other obvious location is Dachstein, a bus every hour most the day from town. Goes through Ramsau, which has some limited downhill skiing but lots of x-country. The lift served skiing at Dachstein is quite limited but some very good off piste routes but probably best with guide.

Filzmoos maybe possible, I'd guess Dachstein bus towards Ramsau and change.

Maybe bus eastwards past Haus and to Prugen which is the base of teh ski area Galsterberg, another quite little area like fageralm.

Maybe a bus to Grobming and then changes bus up to Stoderkinzen, quite small but quiet area, interesting road up the mountain.

Train to Bischofhofen then I'm guessing there must be buses up to Hochkonig aea.

Gastein valley is acheivable on train via Bischofhofen, but probably a good hour plus and a couple of trains.

Sorry can't be more precise but I've always had a car out here.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks waynos, Lots of choices there , sounds as though there's plenty to keep me well occupied within good striking distance. Are there any easy & easily accessed off- piste areas in the schladming area itself ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nickH, There are some great spots around but no always that obvious. Skiing is mostly in the tree line so not easy to spot open bowls. The best area is probably around the mitterhaus chair on the planai and hauser kaibling summit lift, you can ski off the summit in all directions but need to be a tad careful and know your routes. There are some logged out zones that can be great with enough snow cover, not as yet. More serious high alpine lines from Dachstein, Zauchansee is a gem for tree skiing but keep it quiet. Ski touring options are plentiful.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nickH, If your just after side of the piste stuff then Falgeralm has lots of spots just look from the drags as you go up - untouched both times I've been there,also at the top lift on the left side of Hauser Kaibling where my sons "dissappeared" a few times on gentle off piste adventures - If your more gnarly I'll get you the name of a good guide and his details and post later.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nickH, monte krah is the bloke,just had to ring my Geordie mate to get the name- www.monte-krah.com, he charged us 50e per hour (2 hrs was plenty for us) for the 2 of us (both side of piste dabblers) mix of instruction and guiding, will call to your hotel to have a chat about things - he looks like a mad gnarly barsturd type but is the biz.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
waynos, and briand6868, Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not really more than a side of piste dabbler, though your ski guide might be just the chap to help kick me up a notch (great name as well ), I'll definitely have a good think about treating myself !!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i was in schladming in the middle of december and i found the bus was pretty easy to move around resorts, i tended to stay on the four mountains though with an english guy i hired. His name was Tom O'Hearne and i found him on the website www.brilliantsnow.com. Great value for money (there were 4 of us and he charged 15 euro a head for the entire day) and he knew every single piste over the 4 mountains! I definitely recommend him!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy