Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best resort for ancient non skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Any suggestions on where in switzerland/austria/italy to take my parents in mid march? - doddery 90 & 78 yr olds. We're looking for a compact pretty, sunny resort, stunning scenery, 4* hotel with good food, a cablecar to the top....after 40 yrs Dad has finally decided he'd like to visit one more time - last there Wengen c 1950!

and any genius suggestions how to occupy them bearing in mind they can't ski, cant walk far uphilll, and will probably fall over on ice!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buzzfan, I would be looking at a relatively low resort which would have less chance of having snow/ice on the pavements in mid-March. Probably a pretty working village which would provide more interest.

It's lovely that your parents still want to go to the mountains but in reality it might not be so enjoyable if the weather is bad unless they are happy to be confined indoors. You don't see many very elderly especially 'doddery' people out on the streets in ski resorts, even locals. I watched an elderly chap in France last week who was walking in the village - it was enormously difficult for him even with the strong support of his son Sad The pavements were treacherous. A fall at that age can be a huge trauma. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, honestly Very Happy
In good weather, in the right place it could be lovely for them.

I'm sure resort suggestions will come soon Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buzzfan, I wonder if Crans/Montana would suit? It's many, many years since I've been there, but my family used to go there a lot in the summer, precisely because my mother couldn't do hills very well, but still liked to be amongst mountains. It sits on a south-facing plateau at 1500m and is often warm and sunny - and probably not snowy in the village - in March. Although it's much more built up than when I was last there, it must still be very attractive. You could perhaps drop valais2 a PM - I think he has a place there and knows a lot about the resort.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. Zermatt;
3. Cortina;
3. Chamonix;
4. Klosters.

Rent a car and drive them around if going to 2, 3 or 4.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lou, You can get ice grips to put on your shoes, I had a real problem on icy streets until I got them and couldn't have gone anywhere last winter without them we had so much ice here.
If they can cope with the high altitude I would agree with Whitegold, with Zermatt as the train up to the Gornergrat is part of the Glacier express and they could take taxi's about the village, the other places sound good as well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What about Saas Fee? Pretty flat and I think that you can get way up to the top panorama restaurant as a "pedestrian" Puzzled Plenty of good expensive hotels as well Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt ticks most of the boxes but they don't clear the pavements they just leave a sheet of ice on them, they are treacherous. Last time I was there I survived a weeks skiing and took a fairly nasty fall wandering around the streets before leaving.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Everyone is different but I would be a bit cautious about Zermatt , we went there with my non skiing in laws quite a few years ago and it was not a great success as a place . The town is at the bottom of a steep sided valley with basically one view (admittedly an impressive hill) but it did feel a bit claustrophobic for them, not many interesting walks and the views did not vary.
The place which worked best for us ws suprisingly Davos which although not a particualry attractive as a town has a great wide open expansive valley with varied winter sports going on to watch and a very good transport system along it and up the side valleys which gives a better variety of views short walks and places to eat. As well as travelling to meet up skiers in various spots such Klosters and Wolfgang.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Of course, they could do worse, a lot worse, than returning to the Jungrau region - the trains everywhere are so brilliant. Murren is particularly picturesque, but I would say the most difficult and limited to walk around. Grindelwald is - for me - over-dominated by the Eiger, so I would choose Wengen. But perhaps they'd like to go somewhere different this time. If Davos/Klosters, then I'd choose Klosters because, again, it's prettier and they can always take a train from there; but Davos is more central and is a bigger town.

I agree with T Bar re Zermatt, it is quite claustrophobic if you're spending a lot of time in town, and it gets dark early because of its position. Chamonix would be a good choice - a proper town - but a car is needed to get around to other places, whereas in Davos/Klosters or Wengen, the trains suffice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If Davos/Klosters, then I'd choose Klosters because, again, it's prettier and they can always take a train from there; but Davos is more central and is a bigger town.

Klosters is more attractive as a town undoubtedly but Davos is a more attractive valley and there is a lot happening onthe edge of town during the day to watch the nursery slopes at Bolgen the x country and a lot of horse drawn rides etc.
Must say the Engadine valley sounds good with everything that goes on on the frozen lakes, Cresta run to watch etc. but I haven't been and am not sure how far into March these activities go on for.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We took a non-skiing 80+ with us to Kitzbuhel and that worked well. There is a gondola to a nice restaurant at 2000m and we were able to ski up and down around the sun-terrace and keep in touch. Delightful town too, with trips to Salzburg and Innsbruck (even Venice) on tap.

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buzzfan, good luck with that! Some good suggestions above...

If the old boy liked Wengen then Klosters has the same ..er.. old-skool atmosphere and aslo lovely trains which might keep em busy - send them up to Davos and or back to Lanquart a few times. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wherever you go (except the Jungfrau I guess) I'd definitely have a car, to get them out and about a bit and minimise the amount of walking. It depends what they like. When we took my mother, who had very limited mobility, the last place she'd have wanted to be was in a big town - even a nice one. She enjoyed being right on the edge of the ski area, with just mountains and trees to look at out of the window. She also enjoyed being able to sit outside a sunny café and watch the skiers, but for that she needed full ski gear on - old people get cold quickly!

If one of them is exceptionally doddery a folding wheelchair might be useful.

Do they definitely want to go in winter? The mountains are just as lovely and a lot less slippery in summer. In the Jungfrau they could go right up the top on the train and still get the snowy views.

Chamonix might be good too - and quite likely not snowy in the valley in march. Loads of trips, including the Aiguille de Midi, Montenvers train, etc. Easier to push a wheel chair round Chamonix than some places!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mind you maybe they'd like to return to Wengen, lots of changes in 60 years and at least with the trains and cable cars they can get everywhere plus the views are fantastic, plenty of hotels in the area but for good quality maybe the Regina or Schonegg which can be found at either end of the high street, as for things to do

Trip to Jungfraujoch (but only on a really clear day), a trip to the Schilthorn and Piz Gloria which wasn't built until 1968 or 69, both give really superb views, Maybe a trip to Interlaken with a visit to Cafe Schu (sp?) for afternoon tea and cakes, thats three days plus they could just potter arround on the rail network, get them a winter walking pass rather than a ski pass which covers the Railways up as high as Eigergletscher (I think) so they need a supplement to go up to Jungfraujoch, plus the main cable cars and gondolas
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would consider St Moritz. It gets little mention here because the skiing is not to everybody's taste. I have never skied there myself but only been there in the summer about thirty five years ago.

I stayed in a tent.

The town is certainly not compact but meets all the other criteria in the opening post and probably has more to do for non skiers than just about anywhere. Many of the activities centre around the lake although I am not sure when it starts to melt! If you go to the official St Moritz website it should give you a schedule of all forthcoming events throughout the season.
snow report
Kitzbuhel would be my choice but it a long time since we last visited.
Or Chamonix
snow conditions
Zell am See could be a good choice, we've only been there in the summer, there are some lovely hotels by the lake.
snow conditions
kitzbuhl?
latest report
I agree with sealey - nice friendly town with places fuer Kaffee und Kuechen and lakeside strolls
snow conditions
thanks for all the above suggestions
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy