Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should a helmet split on impact?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I bought a good quality helmet (£70 price range) a couple of weeks ago and have used it for a total of 5 hours on indoor snow slopes.

On my last trip about an hour in a had a fall and spun around backwards onto the back of my head. On impact the helmet split all the way up the back.

My question is: Is the helmet designed to do this on the heavier impacts to help dissipate the impact or was it simply faulty?

Might be a totally stupid question! But wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tom24, Unusual . . . just how heavy was the hit? Stars, vomit, blackout? And is it just the outer shell or does the split includes the foam?
Oh, and what make is it?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dont know about the helmet

but if it was hard enough to split the helmet and it didnt do any damage to my head , i would be thankful, and buy another one.

only you will know how hard you hit your head - or maybe you dont remember ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was probably a single impact helmet, it did its job, throw it away and buy another. On the label of most helmets it advises to throw away after significant impact
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm cagey to state the make of helmet as haven't contacted the seller yet.

I didn't blackout or anything like that, just had a headache and sore neck today.

It's completely split right through the shell!

Quite embarrassing considering it was on an indoor slope!

Gazza, that's what I thought, but then I thought what if it was a harder hit - then it would completely smash off my head!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isnt the way most helmets are designed to split upon impact, hence the force splits the helmet, if the helmet was solid it would nearly be like not wearing one as the impact would just richochet into your head.

sounds like it did its job perfectly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski helmets only protect you to a certain level. if you want something which may help in high speed head on collisions, try a motorbike helmet
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
ski helmets only protect you to a certain level. if you want something which may help in high speed head on collisions, try a motorbike helmet

good point - I'll stick with a ski lid though!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tom24, if you had a headache, a sore neck (touch of whiplash?) and the helmet split I'd say it probably did the job that it was expected to do. A backwards fall where you pivot down the slope can result in an almighty thump to the back of your head. I had a similar fall many years ago which resulted in mild concussion and missing two days of a 5 day ski course, plus the decision to buy a helmet.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
tom24, if you had a headache, a sore neck (touch of whiplash?) and the helmet split I'd say it probably did the job that it was expected to do. A backwards fall where you pivot down the slope can result in an almighty thump to the back of your head. I had a similar fall many years ago which resulted in mild concussion and missing two days of a 5 day ski course, plus the decision to buy a helmet.

Very glad I was wearing it! Just depends how lucky you are with the way you fall sometimes, I had no opportunity to break my fall with arms.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tom24, have a chat with the seller but be prepared to shell (sic rolling eyes ) out for a new one. It does sound like it did what it says on the 'tin'
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tom24, some helmet manufacturers will replace the damaged helmet for a nominal fee if you send it back to them. Worth looking into that first rather than splashing out on a new one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had a Salomon ski helmet de-laminate on a fast heavy backwards fall, inner and outer separated round the back and top of the helmet, did it's job as far as I was concerned, sore neck and mild headache. Did manage to put a 4" split in the back of a Kevlar laminate motorcycle crash helmet high-siding at 100mph, did it's job well enough that I was passed fit to race 3 hours later (with a new helmet), now that hurt!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OP - it did exactly what it was meant to do.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gazza2 wrote:
...if it was hard enough to split the helmet and it didnt do any damage to my head , i would be thankful, and buy another one.

+1
snow report
tom24, Sounds to like it did its job, they work by partial destruction so even if it hadn't split if you hit your head as hard as it sounds you did from the ongoing pain it'd be time to replace it, nothing to take up with the seller as far as I can see, you used it for its intended purpose, it worked, you survived time to buy a new one!
ski holidays
gazza2 wrote:
...if it was hard enough to split the helmet and it didnt do any damage to my head , i would be thankful, and buy another one.

+2

just be glad you were wearing it
snow conditions
Good job you were wearing it then. I would contact the manufacturer, often they will send you a voucher toward the replacement, not because the helmet was defective(it saved your head) but because they want to keep your custom. Very Happy
ski holidays
I've split a helmet mountain biking thru forest. Not a technical section of trail, just an unforgiving overhead branch.
Helmet was made by giro, and they were happy to sell me a replacement at reduced price, as long as I returned the broken helmet with details of the accident.

So check with the distributor of your brand of helmet if they do a similar deal.
latest report
I've split a helmet mountain biking thru forest. Not a technical section of trail, just an unforgiving overhead branch.
Helmet was made by giro, and they were happy to sell me a replacement at reduced price, as long as I returned the broken helmet with details of the accident.

So check with the distributor of your brand of helmet if they do a similar deal.
snow report
it all depends on the material used for the shell.
some plastics used are very stiff and will split on heavy impact. others are slightly softer and you can flex the plastic, these are more durable for the odd knock or two

however, even the softer compounds can get brittle below a certain temp.
ski holidays
I've split/smashed/dented a fair few MTB helmets and as stated above, more often than not you'll get a replacement for half price or so (Giro but I know others do the same). The way a helmet behaves on impact is dependent upon many factors, not just speed of impact (orientation/hardness of 'snow' for instance). See if you can get a replacement at discount or if not, it's a perfect excuse for a bling upgrade wink
snow report
 cran
cran
Luckily when I had a fall like that I had no helmet and just hurt my head, if I'd had a helmet and it had broke I'd have needed to buy a new one which would have cost at least £30...
ski holidays
I've only seen one helmet split in that way in many years. A rear impact after an athlete hooked a GS gate and span, landing on the back of their head. No concussion, just a split helmet.
It was a Shred race helmet and, to be fair, I would always replace a helmet after any significant impact, whether it splits or not. If it doesn't, you have no idea of the damage done to the impact absorbing layer(s) within the helmet.
Some manufacturers will replace for a lesser fee than a new helmet though.
ski holidays
I would be thankful that it has done its job.

You should take great care with helmets, I always worry about mine in the suitcase on the plane.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy