Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skins thermal/compression things

Poster: A snowHead
Who wots of these? Planning to buy some decent thermals this year for a change, liked the look of these when I saw someone else using them recently. Are they warm? What's this compression business all about? Long legs or three quarter ones?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use Skins S400 compression top and 3/4 pants. I find they are really help to regulate my boby temperature and don't seem to smell too bad (even after a week ) Not sure if the compression business is just marketing, but they are comfy to wear

http://store.skins.net/uk/mens-compression/compression-snow
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard, I was recommended compression tights by physio to keep strained (or over-worked) muscles warm. Really works, wouldn't now be without them: I use them for all exercise and, at the moment, am wearing them all the time, for a back/leg problem. Very comfortable and warm. Definitely three quarter for skiing, you don't want them interfering with boot fit. The only downside is the price, particularly since nobody seems to stock Linebreak ones any more - they were a lot cheaper than Skins or UnderArmour.

PS I do not wear mine every day for a week! Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got a pair of compression tights from Aldi for about £8 (I think they are meant for jogging though). They are warmer than my thermals, and do not seem to hold so much sweat. They are not as warm as the compression shorts I have from ProSport. (http://www.prosportuk.com/injury_supports/abdomen_supports/shorts_AND_jockstraps/1798/neo_therm_thermal_shorts.html)

These are very warm, but they do tend to hold sweat like deep sea diving thermals.

The idea behind skins and compression clothing is that it improves blood flow, and consequently reduces damage due to exercising on muscles and ligiments which are not fully oxidised and warm. It also aids recovery from exercise.

Difficult to source the ProSport shorts on the high street, but plenty of options on the internet. Go for a size smaller than you actually are for extra support! (I am on my second pair now. The first pair I turned into a shoulder support and some feet warmers from the material when I wore a gap between the legs.)

I wear mine inside and outside. I think it is an age related thing.

NehNeh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OMG Snowheads load up on workers gloves and grandma's surgical stockings for 2013.

Can someone let me in on the next big fad so I can buy shares.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof,
Quote:

grandma's surgical stockings

Oi, watch it! Evil or Very Mad Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The rise of use of pre water loading, boot fitters and compression wear sign of an end of the recession.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

pre water loading

What's that then? Having a drink before you go out?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've used compression gear tops and leggings purchased from Lidls. They are just so comfy to ski in. I don't like wearing sallies directly next to my skin and they are ideal under them. Also the support that your body gets from them is amazing, the worst bit is having to take them off when you get back home. NB. They are also like shapewear and you will drop a dress size once you have them on Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I can't say I often wear a dress while snowboarding. Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, speak fer yerself daaaling rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote]
Quote:

pre water loading

What's that then? Having a drink before you go out?

/quote]

So you have such a load on that you rush to the karzi don’t make it due to the need to remove all that compression and wet yourself, but at least the descending warm flow relives the two week tightness and rub from your newly fitted boots.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://mandmdirect.com/ have a few bits of under armour in stock, pretty limited sizes though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sport Pursuit have Under Armour too this week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cant beat ski Skins, even have sleeveless vest if you ask, will import some from Aus.
ski holidays
Another short-cut alternative to getting yerself properly fit in the first place . . . Twisted Evil paper, touch, blue
latest report
Masque, No they are really for the fit.
snow report
Cynic wrote:
Masque, No they are really for the fit.

Agreed . . . you NEVER want to see a 'lardy' in them . . . spillover Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Masque, I'm thinking about starting a business as a compression wear fitter.
snow report
Cynic, hmmmm, you can take the man out of the schoolboy but you'll never take the purve out of either rolling eyes
latest report
Masque, It's going to be in Bicester.
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
davidof,
Quote:

grandma's surgical stockings

Oi, watch it! Evil or Very Mad Laughing

seriously we've had la Lizzard slaggin' off blokes in Lycra now if we ski at les Deux Alpes we'll be treated to her whizzing around the pistes in support stockings, it really doesn't bear thinking about.
snow report
davidof, I dare anyone to call her 'Nora'
ski holidays
davidof, Masque, Laughing Laughing
latest report
+1 Masque
ski holidays
FFS everyone. I said I wanted thermals and I asked if these Skins thingies were warm. It's not as if I offered to post pictures of my varicose veins, is it? Laughing
snow report
Skins are not thermals.
latest report
ulmerhutte, even the ones they say are thermals?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i rate skins. i don't believe the compression marketing hype but they do keep me warm when out running in minus temps.
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
Skins are not thermals.

I agree. They're fine on their own in spring but I still wear a 3/4 length merino long john over the top of them in winter. The full length ones are fine too, just pull them taught over your calves and make sure the base line is above your ankle then put your ski socks over the top of them. They won't ruck up and your calves get the benefit of the compression too.
ski holidays
Skins do 2 different levels of ski compression wear, one isnt thermal, one is. I have both. the thermal stuff is very warm
ski holidays
Oops

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 28-12-12 20:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Under Armour cold gear is good.
ski holidays
madmole wrote:
Skins do 2 different levels of ski compression wear, one isnt thermal, one is. I have both. the thermal stuff is very warm

So do I but I still don't think the thermal one is very warm! I guess it depends what your tolerance to cold is. I always thought my tolerance was good but some of the recent threads on here have made me realise that I wear more layers than most so who knows...
snow report
I find It has to be blowing a hoolie at about -20 before I need the thermal ones on. The normal thin ones under my Salomon softshells are fine down to all normal conditions and amazing not to bad up to about +10 (as long as I zip out the Salomons thermal liner. Below zero I add micro fleece top

But I dont feel the cold and years of motorcycling and ice diving etc have ment I've built up a tolerance

Keep your core warm and the legs and hands will stay warm too
snow conditions
madmole, Don't forget your head nice furry hat.
snow conditions
I shut the vents on my G10mx then! Nothing beats a helmet and Oakly A frames for keeping bonce warm

Main credit is the Salomon soft shell combo. Best ski outfit ever. Waterproof, wind proof, breathable, warm,

For uber cold when I was working in artic circle I was wearing my diving weasel extreme one piece and a Rab goose down. Very toasty at -32 and tent camping at -20 and very light
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy