Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody any experience of hand-warmers or heated gloves?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have Reynauds too, nothing worse than numb fingertips!! As a a natural therapy, I was recommended a cod liver oil capsule and a starflower oil capsule daily - I've taken these for 12 months now and they do seem to help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used these before http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mycoal-hand-warmers-10-pairs/dp/B001THB8RM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325983805&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

They worked very well..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
W anking. Kept me toasty once when I was in the freezing cold. Gen dit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Update - bought a box of 40 Little Hotties in Costco at the weekend (plus 3 'free' body warmers - no idea what they are - haven't had time to open them) for £10 so bit of a bargain - thanks for the tips Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris, cheap heated gloves are a complete waste of time as I found out by personal experience!! Confused The ones with the li ion battery should work well tho'
My missus & I both always wear mittens rather than gloves as we both suffer with poor circulation to our extremeties! Shocked those & some of the "teabag" warmers will keep your fingers warm even on the coldest of days, just make sure you open the hand warmers b4 your hands get cold as trying to open them with frozen hands without gloves on in a howling blizzard really doesn't help! - again personal experience!
Hope you enjoy your break next week! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. I have gone for silk liners as a re-inforcement of my usual gloves and will carry some of those hot pack things if I get cold. My arm seems to get better every day, and my fitness campaign progressing well. (I even went for a run this morning!) Down about 3Kg so far and feeling great. Can't wait to hit the slopes next week. After where I was this time last week, it feels like a come-back from the dead!

snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Latest news is that I went to the Snowdome on Wednesday (where the temperature was about 0 apparently) and had to stop after 3/4 of an hour as my left hand was hurting with the cold. A hot coffee and a warm up and I was OK for the rest of the session - about another 1 1/2 hours.

Not being the sort of person to leave anything to chance, I decided to pursue the mitten route, as it was my fingertips that were in trouble. The first place to try, for me anyway, is T K Maxx, so off to Wolverhampton. Picked up a magnificent pair of Kombi Goretex mittens for £30 which will take the hot bags easily. I am confident this will work. I also picked up a superb merino base for £25 with thumb-hole wrist-warmers. I do love TK when they have top stuff at bargain prices. With the weather forecast for next week in Italy being on the chilly side, I am feeling well-prepared.

Thanks to all snowHead for excellent advice and support.

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zippo-Handwarmer-High-Polished-Chrome/dp/B0034C6GDG/ref=pd_sim_kh_1?tag=amz07b-21

Those are a little more permanent and offer 12 hours of warmth... maybe worth a go?

The Zippo hand warmer you linked up there is definitely not bad! Very toasty.

But there are some drawbacks to it (it can't be turned off without smothering it in a Ziploc bag), and some alternatives that are better, altho a heckuva lot more expense (the S-Boston hand warmer, which can be turned on and off, what a concept, and has a push button lighting system rather than using a match or lighter).

I discuss both of these and three other technologies of hand warmers ***in depth** in a recent article.

I hope this isn't seen as spammy, and my apologies if so. But honestly I feel very sure before anyone buys a hand warmer, my article would help them make a decision they'd be happy with.

The "best" hand warmer is the best one one **for you and your circumstances**.

Review of the Zippo hand warmer, the S-Boston hand warmer, electric rechargeable hand warmers, and other kinds too:
http://outdoorgearandtravel.com/the-best-hand-warmer/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting to return to this thread 12 months on (well, to me anyway!). I shed 15kg mostly through exercise and cutting right down on alcohol. I was discharged as fixed by the hospital last week and didn't need any surgery. They seemed quite surprised at the way my circulation had restored itself.

I got through the January holiday with Hottie teabag thingies and mittens, and very well they worked too. It was warm in the Dolimites in March and I was able to go back to my favourite Phoenix gloves with hotties on standby. My view is that good mittens and Hotties are the lightest, simplest and most cost-effective solution. Thanks for all the advice and good wishes. Loooking forward to getting to grips with some good snow at the end of next month.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's awesome weight loss! It makes me wonder what kind of exercise you did, if any in particular.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Bish, that's really good news.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a person with Reynaud's and a loathing of mitts, this is something I struggle with.
The tea-bags are pretty good, especially if you tuck your fingers into your palms on the lifts, and have a good wriggle / shake to distribute the heat.
Interested in electric gloves, but they have either looked too flimsy, or too expensive as I go through a pair a season.
My problems seem to be more wind chill than actual temperature, fast skiing = cold hands
You used to be able to get nylon half mitts that just covered the outside of your hands ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alan McGregor, you might want to look at Klan heated inner gloves? The OH is on season 4 with about 60 days a year, so two seasons for you I imagine.

No terrible signs of wear and the system is modular, so you can replace liners, batteries, cables, etc. As required.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought 20 pairs of little hotties off eBay for £10. They are very good and really do last a full day on the slopes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy