Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Retractable combination lock. How to prevent freezing.

Poster: A snowHead
Had my hire skis stolen last year and am considering a retractable combination lock. My question is will it freeze and if so how can you prevent that happening?
Read the posts about lock types etc and the pros and cons and my only concern is returning to my skis and finding a frozen lock.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have to pee on it before you go into the restaurant

Lady skiers can do this more dscretely than guys
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sev112, given the current weather conditions, I'm planning on wearing my onesie when I ski next week. Peeing discreetly on my ski lock could be tricky. Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never had mine freeze!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B wrote:
I've never had mine freeze!

I have when I've been peeing on my lock. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, Thanks reassuring
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geepee, Obviously not enough alcohol in it
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B, Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've use them for 5 years or more and never had one freeze up on me... and thats down to about minus 25 in canada
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just bought a Burton one - it arrived this morning - £7 including a £1 discount if you "like" their facebook page.... bargain. My husband bought the same lock 4/5 years ago from TSA - branded by OneBallJay (he's never had it freeze on him). My daughter bought the same lock a couple of years ago from Snow and Rock - branded by Demon - her's is fine also. S&R still do the demon one £13.99 - all 3 are exactly the same just a different logo / colour.

check out - www.sputnicksnowboardshop.com

Little Angel
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It won't freeze, but if you're super worried about it - carry a fag lighter and heat up the key if it does.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My lock's never frozen either. But i guess it depends on just how many hours you leave your skis outside the bar Laughing .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scorpio21 wrote:
I've just bought a Burton one - it arrived this morning - £7 including a £1 discount if you "like" their facebook page.... bargain. My husband bought the same lock 4/5 years ago from TSA - branded by OneBallJay (he's never had it freeze on him). My daughter bought the same lock a couple of years ago from Snow and Rock - branded by Demon - her's is fine also. S&R still do the demon one £13.99 - all 3 are exactly the same just a different logo / colour.

Little Angel

They don't seem to have any? How did you get hold of yours please?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
£3.99 from my local decathlon. B'twin branded but sold as a ski lock.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
maggi, That's where I had them stolen last year. In the bar at 4.30pm first day, a hundred pairs of skis outside. Came out at 7pm no skis, gutted. Probably my own fault in so far as they were a nice looking pair for hire jobs and I didn't split them with friends. On that note do you lock yours at every stop?
latest report
mfamily2, yes, I very nearly always lock them. If I'm just going in to buy a drink then bringing it out (so I can have a fag Embarassed ) I may not bother. Only up a mountain though. If next to a road I'd lock them anyway.
snow conditions
maggi, Thanks, I will follow your lead, although insured it was a lot of faff to sort it all out last year.
latest report
Get a coiled bike lock. The thin cable locks are defeated with nothing more than a pair of pliers

snow report
bar shaker agreed but the use of a thin cable lock was agreed on the other thread to be a way of stopping someone accidentally walk off with your skis rather than to thwart a determined thief. After all, a coiled bike lock offers little security to bolt croppers.

Indeed, for insurance purposes one only needs to have locked the skis in a ski rack - unspecified as to what type of lock is used.

The other thread warned of a potential problem of small locks freezing. Perhaps the answer is to carry a pair of pliers as well.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-01-12 11:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've never had a combo lock freeze. Even if it does, it's a better problem to have than no skis.
latest report
Well there are seven of us, so if we split the pairs and lock them..............................
latest report
I've seen it recommended to smear some vaseline on your car door seals to stop them freezing, presumably it would work on the lock too.
ski holidays
If it freezes then you really have been in the bar too long.
latest report
I've never had mine freeze.

Yes, it's easilly defeated but it's enough to deter the casual theif and I only got it to make someone else's skis easier and more preferable to nick anyway.
snow report
I agree with the deterrent thing but work on the basis that my board was £1k and can only be insured for £500. If we were talking about a holdall containing £500 in cash, I would want more than a flimsy wire lock on it.
ski holidays
andersont wrote:
scorpio21 wrote:

Little Angel

They don't seem to have any? How did you get hold of yours please?

Firstly, apologies I spelt the weblink wrong - no "c" !! However I couldn't find it on there either - I must've got the last one - only ordered it Boxing Day!

But do not fear - I searched and found a new supplier for you..... http://www.thesnowboardshop.co.uk/burton-cable-lock-p-205.html

Happy shopping Little Angel
snow conditions
As mentioned in previous threads, the retractable bike locks that LIDL sell are pretty good. They're about £4.99 I think when they're in stock...

All these locks are mere deterrents anyway - doesn't really matter what it is - there will always be someone with something that can cut it, some quicker than others mind,.
latest report
bar shaker, Agree, but I only have performance hire skis, insured, but after last years experience, I want to minimise the chances of a theft due to the subsequent faff of having to trudge a mile to the Police Station( when I could be drinking) and spend an hour with the slowest cop on the planet to get the required report.

Bought one of these yesterday from Outdoor action Blackburn:

http://www.skiweb.uk.com/content/ski-combination-4-code-lock
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
B&Q sell recoil-able combination master locks for around £3(Correction £5.98), which are the same as these other 'Burton' branded locks for £7.99 +

http://www.masterlock.com/product_details/CableLocks/4605D

Have a look, next time your in there.

I've never had the ones I brought freeze.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 13-01-12 16:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
my board was £1k

Shocked

What board costs that much?
latest report
hang11 wrote:
bar shaker wrote:
my board was £1k

Shocked

What board costs that much?

That was with the bindings. It's a Vapor with CO2s. It has been a pain to insure as my company's cover is £500 as a max. I found one that would go to £800 but the premium was a lot so I just use a decent lock and forget about it.
snow conditions
Keep one of those handwarmers that you click the metal button inside to set it off and boil to regenerate in your pocket. After the bar if your lock is frozen, click it and apply to the lock to help it open. If it is not frozen, click it and apply to your wallet to help it close.
snow conditions
munkee wrote:
B&Q sell recoil-able combination master locks for around £3, which are the same as these other 'Burton' branded locks for £7.99 +

great find! but which department can these be found in?
ski holidays
Just bought three of the Master Cable locks from B&Q, but they were £5.98 not £3.00. Still good value. Will be distributing to my ski group tomorrow, when we head off to Morzine.
snow report
I had to try to cut a retractable ski lock a while back and was pleasantly surprised.

I needed to go somewhere on my bike and my mrs had gone away with the key. It was pretty urgent and I was running late, so I just got some pliers out and tried to cut the lock. Was surprised to find that I couldn't get through it. Nothing in my toolbox would cut it.

I now have cable-cutters for doing mountain-bike cables and such-like. I suspect they'd get through it, but I'm not certain. This was a slightly chunkier cable than some of the really piddly retractable combination locks you see, but still only about 4mm.

Had to walk (run!) in the end.
ski holidays
I have never had one freeze

every one should carry one ( i keep mine is a warm pocket anyhow) , then you cay use TWO locks if you have two pairs
( thats my top tip ) !!

you can also split them up.

Keep it dry - if its got water in it then it coupld possible freeze ( never had a problem though )
Most cheap cutters will struggle as the steel wire used is usually tough and stranded - which makes it difficult to cut

The cutter shown are for solid single strands ( usually you use bypass type cutters for stranded )
ski holidays
jashcroft wrote:
Just bought three of the Master Cable locks from B&Q, but they were £5.98 not £3.00. Still good value. Will be distributing to my ski group tomorrow, when we head off to Morzine.

Ooops, they've rocketed since I brought them a few years ago - Was hoping that they still sold them as their website doesn't mention them.

Anyway as you said £6 is better than £8 for one in a slightly different casing with a Burton sticker on.
ski holidays
dredgey wrote:
munkee wrote:
B&Q sell recoil-able combination master locks for around £3, which are the same as these other 'Burton' branded locks for £7.99 +

No idea, the one with all the door locks and security bits & bobs in it.
latest report
munkee wrote:
dredgey wrote:
munkee wrote:

No idea, the one with all the door locks and security bits & bobs in it.

Cheers, will pop down there.
snow report
Just got one of these http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware/security/cables/Master-Lock-Self-Coiling-Cable-Black-1-2M-X-8mm-9284225 from B&Q for no. 1 son's new snowboard. Only £5.09 and just as compact as the retractable type. More robust and less to go wrong IMO.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy