Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying into Calgary in Mid feb- where can i go? Mountain guides?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I have just booked flights to arrive in Calgary mid feb for a month- cant wait.

Im looking at the following areas:

big white, red mountain, fernie, kicking horse

Anyone have any info on the above areas? Or places near there? Will be going alone so meeting ppl and top skiing at high priorities!

Cheers, greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd add Lake Louise and Revelstoke from my experience. You'll have no trouble finding people to ski with at either.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
billy_boy_2010, you hiring a car?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just be aware that the weekend 18th - 20th Feb is a long stat holiday weekend in Alberta

Things get busy that weekend so you may want to book accomodation for that
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
billy_boy_2010, if you are hiring a car, add Revelstoke as Alans deep bath, mentions. As you are heading to Red add Whitewater, near Nelson. A great little place with plenty of terrain to hit. They have also added a new chair there now. If you are going to Revvy and then planning to drive to Big White, stop off at Silver Star too as you willbe passing Vernon anyway ( town close by )

On the way back from Fernie take a day to go ski Castle Mountain too, another little fab mountain in the middle of nowhere Smile

Plenty of time to do all of these since you have a month.

We roadtripped BC in mid Feb and had a great time and great conditions. anything you want to know just ask. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Keep an eye out for mountain hosts who do (usually free but tipping appreciated) guided tours of some of the area at designated times during the week, usually you need to be comfortable on black runs but depending on how busy the resort is sometimes they do a blue cruisers afternoon as well, this varies from place to place and is more common during the week. Usually this is a local who gets a free lift pass for the season but no wage. Can be a great way to meet other people too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry for the delay guys- been away with work for a bit!

Bode- im not sure on the car....its about 800 dollars- do you think its worth it or can i rely on busses? I guess a lot of the time each time i take a bus it may cost a day of skiing in travel time- i can do a car journey when the slopes close at night?

Most importantly im going alone so i guess i want the flexibility of (hopefully) tagging along with others and playing things by ear a bit....i could prob save the £500 and i may be able to blag a few lifts etc etc!

Thanks for the list of places guys- im going to make a "dream list" and that should help me decide on where works out well.

How about Ski lessons? I will need some as im always keen to improve my technique! I guess i can just sign up to a ski school on day one- how expensive is it in canada? Swiss prices were pretty high i thought!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

i can do a car journey when the slopes close at night?

We did this every time we moved on - only had a couple of longish drives. Didnt mind them tbh as driving in Canada/USA is so easy.

Ski lessons will be quite expensive and yes you can just book a day when you want. I wouldnt rely on blagging lifts or you may get stuck somewhere Confused
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bones wrote:
Quote:

i can do a car journey when the slopes close at night?

We did this every time we moved on - only had a couple of longish drives. Didnt mind them tbh as driving in Canada/USA is so easy.

Ski lessons will be quite expensive and yes you can just book a day when you want. I wouldnt rely on blagging lifts or you may get stuck somewhere Confused

Hmmm- its about £500 to rent a car but it sounds like its going to be worth the money.....?

How good is the public transport to the ski resorts? Developed country English speaking im assuming its gonna be pretty straightforward?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

How good is the public transport to the ski resorts? Developed country English speaking im assuming its gonna be pretty straightforward

Well we didnt see any public transport buses ( only the local buses to mountains - ie Banff and Fernie shuttles ) In all of the 1500 miles we covered Confused

Why not cut the trip down to 3 weeks and use the 4th weeks money for the car hire Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check out samesun hostels they have backpacker hostel in BC Kelowna/Silver Star/Revelstoke.
We have not used them but met a few people who have. There is a hostel at Sun Peaks as well.
Greyhound canada and bcskiing.com are worth a look.
Public transport to most resorts is often often in frequent and full. Details for transport is usually on the resorts web site.
If you are going to Revelstoke book your accommodation before you set off we left it a bit late last year and ended up 20K out of Revelstoke.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I`ve just come back from a 3 week road trip of B.C and Alberta, and to be fair, I agree with Bones. A 4x4 is worth its having if you want to see as many resorts as posible.

I have stayed at a Samesun hostal a couple of years ago, and it was fine. It`s also a good way of meeting people to ski with, and theres always someone looking for a ride and willing to pay towards the gas. Banff has a Samesun, and you get to ski 3 resorts on the Tri-area ski pass, Mt Norquay, Sunshine Villiage and Lake Louise.

A bit closer to Calgary, is Nakiska ski Resort if you like good grooming, and again as Bones said, Castle mountain is great if you fancy trying cat skiing (my mate Sam is one of the guides there)

Fernie, Red Mountain and Big White are usualy great for fresh powder.

have a great trip
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can easily reach Golden (for Kicking Horse) and Revelstoke on the Greyhound and it is a pretty reasonable fare. If you ski well, I would say both are unmissable. As regards lessons, we found the Mountain Centre at Kicking Horse to be excellent. Plus, on the longer courses (3 and 5 days, I think) you were also offered the option to borrow Rossi S7s for free. The instructors were top drawer.

We found Big White fun but in quite a different category to Kicking Hose and Revelstoke. It is a ski-in / ski-out family resort, very pleasant (if a little Disney-fied), there is a little bit of off-piste but I wouldn't be heading there for that reason.

There will be other routes - but I know you can reach Fernie on a bus that goes to and from Calgary airport. When we were looking in it, it seemed a lot more tricky to reach Red Mountain without your own wheels.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Panorama Mountain resort is also worth a visit if they’ve had fresh snow. They often go longer than most resorts without freshies and when they do it gets very icy. But their double black terrain after a fresh dump is awesome.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy