Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia - advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
safc2008ftm,

Don't know anything about API for Crystal as I always do DIY.

I am now in Zweismann which is at the junction to either Gstaad or Lenk in Switzerland. Skied Lenk today by crossing into Adelboden. First day so took it easy and left at 2:45pm, coffee and cake at Lenk, drove to Gstaad and found it an upmarket place with the famous Palace hotel charging 900CHF or about 600GBP per night. Gtaad is full of designers and jewellery shops. Madonna has come to her skiing there apparently and left before we arrived.

Snow is Gstaad and Lenk/Adelboden is about perfect but the strong wind has blew away the loose snow on sone runs in Lenk. We found lenk and Gstaad fairly busy possibly the residents of Bern, Lausanne and Geneva got wind of good snow and went there for the weekend.

Will move to Gressoney La Trinite on 17/1/12 for 3 days after Lenk/Gstaad. Expect to arrive Valtourmenche (near Cervinia) on 20/1/12 for 4 nights with Hotel Dama Bianca.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for all your help.

Going on Sunday and simply cannot wait now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
safc2008ftm wrote:
Heading to petite palais also. The all inclusive option really couldn't be sniffed at. Booked just in time as no availability now. It is also starting to get good trip advisor reviews this season.

Just back from a week in the 'Petite Palais'.... Toofy Grin

Excellent conditions, sunny everyday, sadly a bit windy on 2 days (lifts only open to plan maison ), but not enough to stop us skiing from first till last lift every day. ( stopping for lunch is for wimps ! You can eat it on the 20 min bubble out of Zermatt ).

Turin Airport was its usual slow self on the way in, but massively improved on departure. ( no scrums or fights in sight anywhere ! )

Petite Palais has also much improved on 2 years ago !

All inclusive genuinely is... all beer, wine and spirits free, and free flowing from 4:30pm to 10:30pm. Head to the Yeti bar afterwards for cheap drinks.. ( 5 Euro a pint of Morretti..)
Food basic but tasty, ( better than chalet food anyway ), and plenty of it.
Packed lunches also very good, you get a big bagette, bottled water, and a biscuit, and order what filling you want the night before.

All the staff very friendy and helpful, oh and there's a good new ski / boot room too..

All in all an excellent week, cant think of anything to fault ! Other than having to come home Sad

You'll have a great time Very Happy

Oh, and the only 'grim' crapper I spotted was at the very bottom, of the lift station in Val Tourneche..
Having said that, like lunch, stopping is for wimps, so I didnt check that many out Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went to Zermatt in 2010, and skied over to Cervinia a couple of times.

Biggest tip would be to have lunch at Chalet Etoile (just next to blue piste 6 above Plan Maison). Despite the fact I was actually staying in Zermatt (famous for its mountain restaurants), this was the best lunch of the holiday. So good in fact that we headed back over on the last day for another visit. Not too expensive either.

Some piste suggestions:

Piste 7: Red piste from Testa Grigia to Cervinia. Try and get up here really early whilst it's still freshly pisted. The Italians like their piste grooming, and it was like corduroy. Nice, long, fast and sweeping descent, one of my favourite ever skiing experiences!
Pistes 24 (red/blue) and 9 (red): Both directly under the SE face of the Matterhorn, really impressive scenery. 24 is a nice fast rollercoaster cruiser, 9 is a bit more technical but still straightforward. Both lead onto blue 5 (also fun) which takes you down to Cervinia
Piste 1: Red piste from Testa Grigia to Valtournenche. Amazingly long run with a huge 2000m vertical (2400m if you start from the Klein Matterhorn!). Supposedly one of the longest runs in the world, although I question this, as it has a short chairlift about a third in (so by my reckoning makes it 2 runs), but nevermind! Can be a little bit flat and boring near the top (after you leave 7), but once you get the small chairlift out the way it soon livens up, especially when you get into the trees. Really good sense of achievment at the end.

Hope that helps Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bad condition at Cervinia and Zermatt for the last few days.

The strong wind has closed all the lifts and runs yesterday. Only one lift was open later after the afternoon and that was in Cervinia. Valtournenche remained fully shut.

Zermatt was no better with nothing open on the entire section linking Cervinia. The link has not been open for the last few days and doesn't look it would in the near future.

Today a few lifts were open at both Valtournenche and Cervinia but nothing to link the two together.

The wind stirred up the loose snow making nothing was visible and so it was impossible to drive or to ski from time to time. The lift operators had to stop the lifts from time to time when the wind was particularly strong.

Whatever left on the piste at the top was ice hard even we had about 200mm snow fall only a few days ago.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee, that's unlucky - it is the one drawback of the area to be very exposed to the weather.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of either side I would like to be stuck in Cervinia least, no luck Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Managed to ski to Swiss side from Cervinia today. It is worth all the waiting especially for a group of Hong Kong boarders I ran into who have saved years for this trip.

When we reached Gornergrat at 3089m level with Matterhorn at the background one of the Hong Kong boarders kneed down in front of his girl friend, pulled out a diamond ring and proposed. How could a girl say no in such a setting?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee wrote:
Managed to ski to Swiss side from Cervinia today. It is worth all the waiting especially for a group of Hong Kong boarders I ran into who have saved years for this trip.

When we reached Gornergrat at 3089m level with Matterhorn at the background one of the Hong Kong boarders kneed down in front of his girl friend, pulled out a diamond ring and proposed. How could a girl say no in such a setting?
Off to the petite Palais in 6 days time, did somebody mention the food wasn't up to much? All helpfull advice would be gratefully received. Good piste conditions I gather, I just want that sun to do it's thing then it should be a top holiday.Anyone just returned?..... Cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the food was great and the staff were exceptional. The range of all inclusive drinks was outstanding. Weather was windy for Monday and tuesday. Thursday and Friday sunny. Saturday almost white-out however the foot of powder on piste made it bearable.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm planning on a better TR ASAP, but to get something down for Snowdrifter, its worth knowing the following about the PP:

The staff were uniformly excellent I thought, from resort staff and then to the hotel staff, both in the kitchen / restaurant and in the bar; the bar was especially noticable for being all-inclusive until 10.30pm...
The food itself was fine; portion sizes were a bit small unfortunately but if you fill up on beer all is not lost... Stock up on croissants / ham / cheese at breakfast!
Packed lunches provided every day - take these as they're fine, baguettes, fruit, a biscuit and a bottle of water. They probably saved us an hour a day and you can usually find somewhere to eat them with a view of old pointy head.
The resort is nice; not massively challenging but that could have been the conditions to a certain extent too. Head to Zermatt for the Freeride slopes if you want a challenge.
Bag drop / pickup for transfers to the airport seems a little conveluted but actually works fine.

Our only downer was a 6h40 delay at Turin as our flight got bumped because of some Austrian-based chaos the day before. They did feed us though and Turin Airport was fine. Top Tip, if you are stuck and have to hang around on the land side of the airport, the WiFi hotspot from the Air Italia lounge is available from the sit down part of the restaurant upstairs from the airside (go up the escalator, through the first cafe bit and then turn right)... The bonus bit being that its free!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
safc, Jamster - any information to pass on about the hole-in-the-ground versus European-style mountain facilities? Especially from any women in your groups!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowdrifter, safc2008ftm, I'm off to the Petit Palais at the end of Feb. Must admit I didn't realise 'all inclusive' meant packed lunches too. Where on earth do you eat them? I think I'd miss mountain hut food too much so I might skip the packed lunch offer...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Windy old Cervinia. I am with queen bodecia, The lunches in the mountain huts are one of the best bits when you are there!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, I'm pretty sure I saw some picnic areas when I was there.

We didn't have packed lunch when we went to Cervinia, but did in Les Deux Alpes. Good to have for a few days hard skiing with only a short stop, but also nice to have a few days where you don't have to carry everything (especially as I end up carrying for 3!) and go to a hut for lunch.
ski holidays
Jamster.

Top advice, much appreciated. The weather forecast I'm getting is looking promising, so my snow rush is just starting to kick in. I'm sure the gang will appreciate the all inclusive and you usually can't go far wrong with Italian food and booze.

Where's the most enjoyable skiing for the intermediates? We have the full area lift passes.

I enjoyed the sella ronda last year and can't wait for the matterhorn, Should be terrific, many thanks for the help.
ski holidays
Snowdrifter, everywhere on the Cervinia side is good fun for intermediates, there's nothing mega challenging. You can spend the whole day bombing down from Theodulpass to Plan Maison taking the various routes available. Run 5 was a nice run back to town at the end of the day.

Plateau Rosa down to town is a good run (37, 13, 16 I think). You have to ski from the top of the Klein Matterhorn all the way down to Valtournenche. We skied down to Zermatt town using 52 run which was nice - but gentle, but with a bit of polling towards the end. There's a more direct black run, but the OH didn't fancy it so no idea what it's like.

.... I don't know all these numbers off the top of my head, I was reminding myself by looking at the piste map.
ski holidays
alison99, I seem to remember there being a couple of incidents; the restaurant next to the top of the gondola up from Valtournenche is a HOTG establishment (which is a shame as the rest of it is v nice) and I think that there was another one, but it does escape me. None HOTG - Chalet Etoile (I think its called), this is visible to the left of the first chair out of Plan Maison and also does nice drinks / soup, the Trockerstag cable-car station and the (expensive) cafe next the the cable car / gondola station at the end of the red run / track to Zermatt from Furi... This will make more sense from a ski map!

queen bodecia, we were lucky for the first 4 days; the weather was so glorious we didn't want to stop / need to do so to warm up so we ate a couple of times sat on benches (again, see Trockerstag and the top of the v short lift into the Valtourneche Valley) and also once on the train on the way back up to Gornergrat! We still stopped for a drink a couple of times, but it seemed to take less time away from the skiing and also saved money... We spent less than 100 euros between the two of us, including drinks and a meal out (night off), mainly due to the all-inclusive drinks and lunchbox...

Snowdrifter, if you have a week like us, you'll be very happy... For confident intermediates, anything rated red really. All runs off chair C, including 29 and then the fork onto 3 to down to the bottom of the Plan Maison Gondola and also red 11 into the other side of the resort. Red 1 into Valtournenche is lovely and was deserted when we were there, Red 5 in the same place is also a great confidence booster. Red 37 and then 7 back to the bottom of plan maison is also nice; avoid red 13 though as it WILL end in a short walk! Obviously you also have to ski from about 4000 metres at the top of the Kline Matterhorn all the way to the bottom of the ValT Gondela via Plateau Rosa, Red 7 and Red 1. Awesome... If you're going over the hill, take the chairlift option I would say (N, O, P on a map) as they're a bit less tedious than the various Goldolas; blue 73 across the glacier to Trockerstag is a bit flat too so you'll need to coarry some speed. You must do Furggsattel and all the runs off it (69, 70, 71 and 72; they're just brilliant and then ski down to Furgg and take black 62; if the snow conditions are even average I can't see it being a problem for an intermediate. Look out for deer in the trees as you drop down to Furi too. Don't bother with the Red into Zermatt from Furi; the second half is a bit flat and will work you triceps a bit at the bottom - take the new gondola to Rifferberg instead, ski over to Rothorn and Sunnegga, get the lift back out from Findeln, ski red 27 to Riffelalp (bit flat in places but a great view over the valley to Zermatt), then get the frequent train (included in the lift pass) back to the Gornergrat (have your packed lunch on this for maximum efficiency!) then do another 1000+ metre descent to Furi and get the Gondola home...

Crystal will do some guiding over to Zermatt; we missed this cos someone took one of our party's hire skis from the boot room so we had to hire another pair so that'll give you a pointer... Apparently, the taxi fare from Zermatt - Cercinia in case of missed lifts will run into the hundreds of euros so you may not want to chance it with doing the Crystal sighter first...

Apol's for the memory dump - you'll have a great time!!
snow conditions
Jamster.
All sounds terrific, apart from skis going missing from the boot room!? Did you leave ski/boots in there after that or take them back to the room? Stolen or taken by accident?...
No joke, gear going missing!
latest report
Snowdrifter, I should have clearer; they were hire ski's that looked similar to about another 5 pairs also hired from the same shop a few doors down. They look the same apart from the big nuber written on them! My mate obviously has a common sized foot as the ski's vanished for a day then reappeared at around 4pm, unadjusted. Top tip, the racks take 2 pairs so hide your hire ski's behind a distinctive pair, cover the top in some disgustingly-coloured tape or take them to your room if you can be chuffed to do so...

It was just a case of mistaken identity, but annoying as he didn't want to take another pair so had to hire more for the day!

Finally, good pizza from Linos and cheap coffee in the Yeti - both just off the main drag...
snow conditions
Many thanks for the adviice, I'm counting down the hours...
Ciao
ski holidays
Agree with Linos for pizza.
ski holidays
Jamster wrote:

Apparently, the taxi fare from Zermatt - Cercinia in case of missed lifts will run into the hundreds of euros so you may not want to chance it with doing the Crystal sighter first...

This was the only bit I couldnt understand from the rep's intro spiel..

ffs if you get caught overnight in Zermatt, there are plenty of hotels of all types there ! Its not a snowy wilderness...

You dont need to get a taxi back, just book a room, then hit the bars, it will be far cheaper, and you'll have more fun Smile
ski holidays
toby wright wrote:
Jamster wrote:

Apparently, the taxi fare from Zermatt - Cercinia in case of missed lifts will run into the hundreds of euros so you may not want to chance it with doing the Crystal sighter first...

This was the only bit I couldnt understand from the rep's intro spiel..

ffs if you get caught overnight in Zermatt, there are plenty of hotels of all types there ! Its not a snowy wilderness...

You dont need to get a taxi back, just book a room, then hit the bars, it will be far cheaper, and you'll have more fun Smile

Although there are things to consider in case you do get stuck in Zermatt.... make sure that you have either a) plenty of cash or b) a credit/debit card (I usually only carry cash when I'm out for the day).
You also need your passport to check into most hotels.
You will probably be spending the night out in your ski boots/jacket/pants unless the hotel lets you rifle through their lost property pile Laughing
latest report
Thanks Shoneyman and Jamster for the info. I am off to Cervinia shortly, and appreciate the information.

Gerry
snow report
hammerite, If you ski over to Switzerland you should carry your passport anyway.
snow report
Dr John, you cannot believe the amount of theft from luggage at some airports. The clingwrap is supposed to be a deterrant, and generally works, as the thefts take place while luggage is on the conveyor belt, and gives the thieves only limited time, so they tend to grab the easiest bags to open.

I just put locks on, but sometimes think it may be better not to, so as to avoid your bag being sliced open.

It is a whole syndicate thing, from the x-ray machine through to the loading, so bags that appear to have valuables in are identified at x-ray and "tagged" for the rest of the team to open up.

No bags are immune, and the hard cases are even easier to open than normal bags.

The clingwrap is good, but those cable "nets" that backpackers use are the best protection.

Shocking the lengths one has to go to.

Gerry
snow report
Quote:

It had crosssed our mind too...

Just to pick up something I have seen elsewhere, Simon Cross, your lot were excellent!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a few points of taxi from Zermatt to Cervina.

I skied Cervinia and then went to Saas Fee afterward. Saas Fee is in the same valley as Zermatt and the distance from Cervinia is slightly shorter than Zermatt but it is still 110m using the shortest route of going through Grand St Bernard Pass and then the tunnel which is tolled.

I haven't checked the last Klein Matterhorn cable car from Zermatt but 3:30pm seems to ring a bell. The Plateau Rosa cable car, in the Italian side, to pick up returning piste users from Zermatt is scheduled to stop at 4:10pm if the skiers are too tied to ski down the Italian side. The important thing to remember is the Zermatt's highest cable car to Klein Matterhorn is liable to shut down in strong wind without prior warning and the only reminding choice would be either by a chairlift or two drag lifts. The latter takes a long time while the former can also be affected by the strong wind.

The strategy of returning back to Cervinia in time is to aim at a set time to reach the gondola base at Furi as from there it is only 2 gondolas + one cable car (or 2 gondolas + one chairlift or 2 gondolas + 2 drag lifts) to retun to the Italian side.
latest report
Whilst we are on this topic, I am off to Cervinia for 3 (maybe 4) days of skiing in mid-March. It sounds like a local pass would be the best option for such a brief time period?
snow report
The 3 day pass one can buy in Cervina are

(1) Valtournenche only for 30 Euro

(2) Valtournenche + Cervinia for 38 Euro

(3) International pass (Valtournenche + Cervinia + Zermatt) for 52 Euro

Zermatt can only be accessed via Cervinia. One can upgrade the pass on the day with the Valtournenche + Cervinia ticket by 30 Euro. I have seen people upgraded the Italian pass at the Swiss side and was wracked 39 Euro because the Swiss charges CHF and will use the exchange rate of the day.

In my two trips, both 4 days each, I found easier to purchase the pass each day as with a car I could drove to a quiet point for access and ski pass purchase. Cervinia is not know to be a busy resort. When the wind is exceptionally strong or the avalanche risk is very high Cervinia, and possibly Zermatt, can close down completely as I saw in my last trip. Cervinia charges a discount rate if only part of the lift system is open to the public.
snow report
Thanks Saikee, that is very helpful.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, yes you should, but how many people actually do?
snow conditions
Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to get my skis serviced in Cervinia?
snow report
queen bodecia, didn't have skis serviced by them, but hired skis from Top One. They were very helpful

http://www.skirentalcervinia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=58&lang=en
snow report
Get to La Motta (Val Tournenche) bottom of bec carre chair for literally the BEST hot chocolate ever!!!!
ski holidays
hammerite, thanks. Hoping to get them serviced on arrival day so that I don't lose any ski time.
ski holidays
That said queen bodecia, there will probably be other shops that are closer to where you're staying. If where it's showing me on Google Map is right, the hotel you're staying in is in a fabulous position for the main cable car up to Plan Maison.
latest report
hammerite, yes that's my understanding too. My ski buddies will be renting their skis so I daresay I can get my skis serviced at the same place, I just wondered if anyone had any specific recommendations.
ski holidays
I can't remember if Crystal use Top One. We went with Inghams, they do, I think Neilson do too.

Nowhere is very far to walk anyway if your not wearing ski boots. As I said I never got anything serviced with them, but if their ski servicing is as good as their customer service skills it'll be very good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy