Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia - advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
Heading out to Cervinia 22nd Jan.

Group of 4 Intermediate skiers.

We usually go to Tignes or Alpe D'huez so this will be my first time in Italy.

Are there any major differences I should expect?

Any advice / resort info greatfully accepted.

Many Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
safc2008ftm, hole in the ground toilets.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ventina run is a good 'un, as is the top-to bottom ride down to Valtournenche from the peak of the glacier (spoilt only by a short lift in the middle of it).

Squatting over an open sewer when you need a poo, as mentioned above.

Generally a bit flat and easy, but very predictable and well-groomed runs.

Depending on what 'intermediate' means in your case this will either mean the holiday of a lifetime skiing an unimaginably large amount of manageable terrain, or being a bit under-challenged and wishing you were in Zermatt instead. You should make the journey over there regardless at some point.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
safc2008ftm, Blue 5 from Plan Maison back to the village can be carnage with the beginners skidding all the snow off to get under the bridge. apart from that I like it a lot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll be able to tell you when I get back from my first trip to France (Tignes) on 14th! Very Happy

been to cervinia last 2 years. Going again in March but as I've never been anywhere else yet (excluding Scotland!) don't have anything to compare it with!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cervinia, with 180km piste, is a sizeable Italian resort in its own right. Think Zermatt has something like 150km so the fully liniked resort is big enough for anybody.

It gets unfavourable commnets mainly relative to Zermatt but with such a high altitude and large area there is nothing wrong with the skiing except at the lowest level.

The Cervinia alone ski day pass is 38 Euro. If you want to access to Zermatt you have to get an International ski pass which cost 52 Euro. If you buy a Cervinia ski pass and want it upgraded the supllement is 30 Euro, according to the 2012 published prices.

The two links to Zermatt are liable to close in strong wind, same as the highest cable cars in both Cervinia and Zermatt.

I shall be there betwee 20 and 23 Jan. Before that I will be in its next valleys of Champuloc and Gressory first to compare the snow condition.

Cervinia itself alone can lose out when comparaing the 300km piste Espace Killy (Tignes + Val D) and the 250km piste of ADH but its snow should always beat ADH. When combining with Zermatt it is the number 1 place to be in unless you insist on staying in the expensive hotels of the Swiss side.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
safc2008ftm, eat at Nuit et Jour on the main street, great steaks and the owner/wine list is a legend.

The skiing over towards Valtournenche is good, and as others have said get over to Zermatt too but not if the forecast is dodgy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ayrshire Andy wrote:
safc2008ftm, hole in the ground toilets.

cant remember seeing any of these on trips I've had there, but if you want a spotless 'trap', then pop over to the Zermatt side where they are immaculate Toofy Grin

I thought it wasnt a problem getting back from Zermatt to Cervinia even when the Cervinia cable cars are closed, if you go up the Zermatt glacier drag lift ?
That's how I've done it before..

In general Cervinia is a great resort, easy skiing, some nice fast runs and the bonus of Zermatt if you want it. You'll have a great week Very Happy

I'm off there on Sunday Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
toby wright, It's a long time since I was there but there quite a few around on the mountain - more than 10 years ago though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
toby wright, holidayloverxx, the famous one is up at the top of the 3rd chair that takes you up to the point where you go over the top to Zermatt. That is not great it has to be said but elsewhere there are loads of perfectly normal euro-bogs too
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was there last week. Not been to Tignes, but have to AdH.

The toilets are generally holes in the ground, although if you only want a number one there are urinals. It must be said that the 1 toilet I used in Zermatt was also in a bit of a state! The pistes are very well maintained, very wide, I found it really easy to ski. Nice for perfecting your carved turns without worrying too much about the terrain, it might have been nice to have some more challenging terrain at times. We found Cervinia very quiet for the xmas/new year period compared to AdH, we hardly had to queue in Cervinia.

Food on the mountain was generally fine and reasonable value.

I did find myself looking at my watch quite a bit when we headed over to the Zermatt side in case the lifts shut and we got stuck (like the guys who worked in our hotel did on their day off!). The very long t-bars on the glacier weren't always open, even when they were we didn't bother and headed to Trockener Steg to get the gondola up to get back down to Cervinia - which even though it's quite a long way takes no time at all. Seems to take longer to get to Zermatt from Cervinia than it does from Cervinia to Zermatt.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks for your comments. It sounds perfect for what I enjoy. Hopefully no need for the open sewers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
safc2008ftm, completely off topic, but I just deconstructed your username... V funny!

Also, we are there the week before so this is a good thread too...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jamster,

I am from Durham also.

Where are you staying?

Have you gone package or on your own?

2 weeks to go and can't wait.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
safc2008ftm,

There are some clean 'European' toilets in TukTuk mountain hut (.if I recall the name correctly) at Plan Maison;

Copapan bar in the 'old' high street does 1/2 price happy hour drinks as does one a little further up on the same side ( cant remember the name though) & also free food snacks.

Make sure you try the hot chocolate at Plan Torrette.

Well worth going over to Valtournenche.

The last uplift from Cervinia is ( or was) 4pm, which I thought was a bit early ( although web site now says its later than this)

Its a great place & sure you will enjoy.

Mitch
snow conditions
Any more information on European toilets in Cervinia would be much appreciated. I am a lone girl ski-ing there with a group of men next month and the information I am hearing on hole-in-the-ground toilets is freaking me out!! The guys won't take my sensitivities about not using HITG toilets into account so I would rather arrive there armed with all necessary information on where the proper toilets are!! I'm not concerned about super-clean or heated or plenty loo roll - I just have an objection to HITG.
I have been ski-ing throughout Europe for 25 years and only encountered this problem for the first time last year in Courmayeur!
ski holidays
alison99, This is only on the mountain - you realise that right?

As Mitch says the huge restaruant at Plan Maison has normals bogs - although accessed by a black-run level staircase.
ski holidays
Wind! Can't speak about yours, but it can get very windy on the slopes and you really need the covers on the chairs. Enjoy.
ski holidays
Thanks. Yes, I realise it's only on the mountain but I can't be popping back to the hotel or over to Zermatt after every cup of coffee or glass of wine! At least in Courmayeur, I was able to work out a few strategic points, including some lift stations, that gave adequate provision.
ski holidays
@safc2008ftm, we've taken the easy option for once and are going with Crystal to the Petit Palais, an idea helped by me not booking any cheap flights far enough in advance and wanting to go somewhere other than the usual NCL - Geneva / Chambery resorts in France...

If the Gods are listening, I would like lots of sunshine, temperatures somewhere between -5 and -10 and occasional overnight snowfall to top things up.

Where are you staying? I've since heard that Turin airport is much the same as Chambery... Shocked
ski holidays
Heading to petite palais also. The all inclusive option really couldn't be sniffed at. Booked just in time as no availability now. It is also starting to get good trip advisor reviews this season.
snow report
Jamster,

Think Turin is legendary for taking ages to get the bags to you (if at all Shocked )

alison99,

Plan Maison is pretty central to everything so shouldn't take too long to get there from wherever you are in Cervinia; there is also a European toilet in the cafe at the bottom of, i think its red 7 , just before you get to the main cable car; its a decent cafe as well.
Didnt see any European toilet over in Valtournenche ( although i didn't go to all the huts so there may well be ).

There are also some in the eateries/pubs etc at the bottom of the runs ( blue 5 & red 3) where the 6 pack chair begins ( Cretaz).............FYI this is also , IMO, the best place to uplift ( assuming you are in the 'old town' area). Just had a look on the webcams & it looks fantastic at the moment...........wish i was there now.......will be in April Very Happy

Mitch
latest report
Thanks Mitch - all information noted down!
latest report
alison99,
No problem; any other questions feel free to ask.
Mitch
ski holidays
alison99, Do let us know how you get on! Smile
latest report
Turin being a reasonable sized major Italian city means the airport is pretty big (think shipments of gold from China in the Italian Job), well equipped, some reasonable (if pricey shops), and they sell decent sandwiches. Turin deals with 3.5 million passengers per year, Chambery 270,000.

Our bags came off pretty quickly, and somehow each of our bags were right next to each other on the carousel.

Scarily though I saw a lady come in off a flight from Frankfurt, take a knife out of her handbag and start cutting off the security cling film wrapping around her case! Dunno what that says about security checks at Frankfurt airport.
snow report
The lasagne at the restaurant at the top of the second chair up from Plan Maison is about the best in the world - enjoy!
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
cutting off the security cling film wrapping around her case

Why oh why do people do this? Seems to only be europeans (I've seen the machine at Florence Airport), but I can't figure out why they're doing it. Any ideas?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@safc2008ftm, let's hope so then! My plan to take advantage of the packed lunch option to gain more skiing time has sadly been veto'd, but I am sure the rest of the all-in fun will be well received...

@hammerite, I prefer the sound of your airport experience to the one reported by Mitchell! No offence of course...
snow report
Bogs; I don't remember any HITG.

Turin Airport; awful, huge queues, rugby scrum for skis (last visit), all skis on a rack outside, less mine which came through with the normal bags, eventully. Enormous queues for security when leaving. Even the pilot slagged the airport off while we were waiting for our slot.

General; great resort, excellent skiing, I had a great week there.

You'll have a brilliant time.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
Cool Cool Cool
snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Turin airport last week was very efficient baggage-wise, no problems and all quickly obtained. Where it is pretty poor is that there seems to be only 2 coffee shops which resulted in very long queues, especially at the Sky bar. No real problems tho' any of the 6 times we've used it. Very Happy
latest report
Between Cervinia and Zermatt, you have some of the best skiing in the world, and probably the best food. Went to Zematt last year, and hope to go this. The best mountain restaurant I have ever been to is Chalet Etoile in Cervinia. I went to a couple of top notch places in Zermatt - Chez Vrony and Fluhalp, but Chalet Etoile provided the most amazing Fish soup, and pasta dishes ever. All swedish female staff, - why I dont know, but I was not complaining, even my wife thought they were great!
You should have a superb time. Oh and Bontandini is also supposed to be very good up the mountain, but I never got there.
ski holidays
3 Geordie Snowheads, (Jamster, Saikee & safc2008ftm), all going to Cervinia about the same time. Something be something to do with the "Haway The Lads" convention.
snow report
saikee, hope you've got your toilet strategy all planned out wink
ski holidays
red 27,

Did see a hole in the ground during my last visit on the Italian side but we thought the facilities at the Swiss side can put many international airports to shame. It may be something to do with the link to Valtourmenche was closed. Thus this time we booked to stay there.

It is a nice experience for a Geordie to store away the skis and sit comfortably in a proper train, which others call a chairlift, to the top of the slope to ski. The posh Southerners go to Zermatt from the front. We hard-up Northerners can only make do with the back door from the Italian side.
snow conditions
Quote:

3 Geordie Snowheads, (Jamster, Saikee & safc2008ftm), all going to Cervinia about the same time.

Easily identified through the "Skiing in shorts" look...
latest report
Dr John wrote:
hammerite wrote:
cutting off the security cling film wrapping around her case

Why oh why do people do this? Seems to only be europeans (I've seen the machine at Florence Airport), but I can't figure out why they're doing it. Any ideas?

Extra paranoia that someone may tamper/nick stuff from their bags?

I put a lock on my zips, which quite frankly is a bit pointless as any remotely sharp object will slice straight through a fabric case. Demonstrated by the fact of an occasion of extreme numptiness on my part, I locked a case with the padlock keys inside. So I opened up a side pocket to the case and managed to rip a hole with a house key in the liner between the pocket and the main case compartment to get to the padlock keys.

Chalet Etioile, wish we'd have known. All the food we had was very nice anyway, but we skied past it a few times every day and never stopped because it was always busy (now we know why!).
snow report
Enjoy your trip Jamster, Did you have to fill out any API for Crystal? Give us an update if you can when out there. saikee, where are you staying and when are you out there?
latest report
API is the air passenger thing I presume?

I've filled nothing out; we got our tickets through the post (quaint I know!) and all seems well... Have I missed something? Will try and look at the "Update via SMS" thread if I get 5 minutes so I can tell you how great it is...
snow report
No not at all. We looked in our tickets and it doesn't mention API(Advance Passenger Information). However on previous holidays I have had to provide this information. May begin a thread to ask others.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy