Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baqueira Beret - advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

Planning our second trip and I've heard various good things about Baqueira Beret.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations?

I'll probably DIY it but I have seen Ski Inspired offer accommodation. Has anyone had any experiences with them?

Where is best to aim for? Am I right in saying that there is accommodation in Tanau, Baqueira and Bonaigua? What are the pro's and cons of each location? All 3 seem to offer quick access to the slopes, but I guess Baqueira is where the majority of bars & restaurants are etc? I see people talk about staying in Vielha but I have to say the drive/bus every morning is putting us off from there. Unless, it's a no brainer staying there for better value accommodation, bars etc.

Whilst we aren't into heavy apres, we would enjoy a drink in the evenings in a nice bar for example. Talking about food and drink, what are the costs of eating and drinking out? We often go catered as we think it's better value but may look at self catering options (either cooking ourselves or eating out).

Travel wise, it looks like Toulouse is the best option for flights? We would look to rent a car so we have a bit more freedom to explore the lower valley ( if the weather hits for example). Are winter tyres a legal requirement in Spain in the winter?

We are looking to head out for a week on the 29th Feb/1st March. I've read that it's snowsure so no worries about that, but what kinda conditions have people experienced around that time?

Any other things I should consider?

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi folks,

Planning our second trip and I've heard various good things about Baqueira Beret.

Awful place, don't go there, slopes aren't that busy even at peak times, and there's plenty of lift accessible off piste too... Wink

Fridge03 wrote:

I'll probably DIY it but I have seen Ski Inspired offer accommodation. Has anyone had any experiences with them?

Yes, Ski inspired are good (disclaimer I've worked with them as an instructor), they have several properties, best talk to them direct on that front. I've stayed in Vielha in Lori for a few days last year, food was good. Staying there again feb half term.

Quote:

Where is best to aim for? Am I right in saying that there is accommodation in Tanau, Baqueira and Bonaigua? What are the pro's and cons of each location? All 3 seem to offer quick access to the slopes, but I guess Baqueira is where the majority of bars & restaurants are etc? I see people talk about staying in Vielha but I have to say the drive/bus every morning is putting us off from there. Unless, it's a no brainer staying there for better value accommodation, bars etc.

Whilst we aren't into heavy apres, we would enjoy a drink in the evenings in a nice bar for example. Talking about food and drink, what are the costs of eating and drinking out? We often go catered as we think it's better value but may look at self catering options (either cooking ourselves or eating out).

So the main ski area is Baqueria, there's a valley that runs from vielha up to baqueria. Vielha is the main town in the area, plenty of shops, restaurants, bars, a supermarket. Also there's the tapas night Pintxo Pote on a Tuesday, a drink and tapas for a few euros in several of the bars.

Vielha is cheaper but you need to get to the slopes either by mini bus (with ski inspired) about 20 mins, or get the public bus which is 1 euro 10c last year each way, takes a bit longer. If you are driving yourself, it's straight forward, just one road to Baqueria.

It's not has bad as it sounds, you barely notice the journey apart from Saturday mornings when all the locals go out to play, then the journey can take a bit longer. Leave ski's etc up at Baqueria in a locker.

All along the valley are little villages, some bigger than others, obviously the closer to Baqueria the more expensive.

Baqueria is most expensive as it's at the bottom of the slopes, restaurants and bars in the area. There's free parking as you enter Baqueria, with a little road train that takes you to the main lift.

Tanau is a bit up the mountain from Baqueria, there's access to the slopes from there, but might need a bit of walking to the lift depending where you are based. There's a great cafe near the lift, not sure on bars/restaurants though.

Can't comment on Bonaigua, I tend to ski over there and ski back, it's definitely out of the way...

Quote:

Travel wise, it looks like Toulouse is the best option for flights? We would look to rent a car so we have a bit more freedom to explore the lower valley ( if the weather hits for example). Are winter tyres a legal requirement in Spain in the winter?

We are looking to head out for a week on the 29th Feb/1st March. I've read that it's snowsure so no worries about that, but what kinda conditions have people experienced around that time?

Thanks in advance

Toulouse is quickest, it's quite an easy drive once out of Toulouse and if the weather is nice there's a great view of the mountains as you go, there's an services not too far before you turn off to the mountains thats pretty good for food, then you turn off towards the mountains and follow the valley in Vielha.

I've been out there mid march, no issues with snow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Little Martin wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi folks,

Awful place, don't go there, slopes aren't that busy even at peak times, and there's plenty of lift accessible off piste too... Wink

Fridge03 wrote:

Yes, Ski inspired are good (disclaimer I've worked with them as an instructor), they have several properties, best talk to them direct on that front. I've stayed in Vielha in Lori for a few days last year, food was good. Staying there again feb half term.

Quote:

So the main ski area is Baqueria, there's a valley that runs from vielha up to baqueria. Vielha is the main town in the area, plenty of shops, restaurants, bars, a supermarket. Also there's the tapas night Pintxo Pote on a Tuesday, a drink and tapas for a few euros in several of the bars.

Vielha is cheaper but you need to get to the slopes either by mini bus (with ski inspired) about 20 mins, or get the public bus which is 1 euro 10c last year each way, takes a bit longer. If you are driving yourself, it's straight forward, just one road to Baqueria.

It's not has bad as it sounds, you barely notice the journey apart from Saturday mornings when all the locals go out to play, then the journey can take a bit longer. Leave ski's etc up at Baqueria in a locker.

All along the valley are little villages, some bigger than others, obviously the closer to Baqueria the more expensive.

Baqueria is most expensive as it's at the bottom of the slopes, restaurants and bars in the area. There's free parking as you enter Baqueria, with a little road train that takes you to the main lift.

Tanau is a bit up the mountain from Baqueria, there's access to the slopes from there, but might need a bit of walking to the lift depending where you are based. There's a great cafe near the lift, not sure on bars/restaurants though.

Can't comment on Bonaigua, I tend to ski over there and ski back, it's definitely out of the way...

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Toulouse is quickest, it's quite an easy drive once out of Toulouse and if the weather is nice there's a great view of the mountains as you go, there's an services not too far before you turn off to the mountains thats pretty good for food, then you turn off towards the mountains and follow the valley in Vielha.

I've been out there mid march, no issues with snow.

Wow. Thanks for the brilliant info.

After looking at accommodation, there isn't a huge selection in Baqueira itself. So as we have a car, may have a look in Vielha then.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's not much nightlife in Baqueria. Ski Inspired use the Tuc Blanc hotel which has a nice bar, there another bar or two, but it's pretty sleepy in the evening. The hotel is in a great location, across the road and up some stairs to get to the main gondola.

Vielha has loads of bars, so plenty of choice in the evening, all very pleasant. If you're happy to drive up the valley, park and then catch the little road train to the gondola you'll have a choice of cheaper accommodation and more night life. If you prefer something close to ski in/out and aren't much fussed about apres ski other than a quiet drink in your hotel bar, the Tuc Blanc is a good choice.

Ski Inspired can help advise for valley or resort accommodation, and will put together a good package for you if you want. It's run by a friend and I'd be happy to recommend them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar,
Quote:

up some stairs

84, I think it is. wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 29-11-19 16:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurtle, Laughing Only at the end of the week. At the start of the week there can't have been more than a dozen...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, Laughing I'd given up by then, but I did have a very crook knee.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thats Handy. Baqueira is one of the few places that have a Marriott hotel where I have enough points for a week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Thats Handy. Baqueira is one of the few places that have a Marriott hotel where I have enough points for a week.
It's a great resort. 150km, so medium sized, but feels bigger than that as it is quite spread out. Good range of pistes, and straightforward access to plenty of easy off-piste terrain. Bit short of decent mountain restaurants being one downside. Very quiet during the week, a bit busier at the weekend but not bonkers. The Marriott is on the lower level of Baqueria village, quite close to the lower gondola station.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have stayed in Baqueira with Ski Miquel in a chalet hotel with flights and transfers included and would recommend highly. The same holiday I had lessons from a lovely lady from Ski Inspired.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have been to Baqueira a few times, stayed mid season in the resort via RCI in some tatty apartments. No nightlife so if you want action it’s down the valley. Toulouse is a nice easy transfer, be ready for the car hire up sell. I think it’s good to have company in this resort, so much of the accommodation is isolating apartments. Slopes are generally gentle and there is a piste champagne bar. Open air parking is free but the u/g car park is expensive so you need to be there fairly early each day. We have parked on the road near our apartment in the past.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have visited baqueira quite a few times.

Stayed in baquiera once - most expensive option, a little isolated, but obviously very convenient
Stayed down in Rialp near espot - a bit of a drive to baquiera but nice little place plus Espot and Port Aine resorts are cheap and quiet
Vielha is where we like best. Beautiful lively little place. Loads of very high quality restaurants and majority are really good value too. Large supermarket, and all the major ski schools/guides seem to be based there. Yes its a drive/bus to ski resort but the savings over staying in baquiera cover the hire car costs and then some.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve booked Baqueira for my 50th at half term and really looking forward to it. Can anyone recommend a company that do transfers from Toulouse? (Ski Inspired won’t do it as we haven’t booked with them)

Also any ski school/individual instructor recommendations? BB don’t have availability. Needs to be someone at a good level who can show us the resort but also take us into the goods if conditions allow snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Guernseyfreerider, There are lots of independent ski schools - you could try the Moga people who also have hire shops dotted about. They are a local family and no doubt could advise on transfer.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Guernseyfreerider, for lessons try http://internationalsnowsportschool.com/ / https://www.facebook.com/internationalsnowsportschool/ - run by an IASI trainer Duncan
ski holidays
The mammut shop in vielha gave us a great guide

If you have snowboarders in your group then I would heartily recommend Landing snowboard school
ski holidays
I like vielha a lot. I like to rent a motor at Toulouse airport, stop jist near the border for a fab supermarket and then do Self C in Vielha.A glorious week can be had this way
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy