Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

first time in Puy St Vincent

Poster: A snowHead
Going at the end of Jan, has anybody got any tips or thing we should know? Were going with snowbiz.
I’m hoping to get off piste in the morning when the wife and kids are at ski school.
What non skiing thing are to do?

Let it snow!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a great little resort Roughneck. Been there 5 times with Snowbizz. There's not a whole lot to do if you're not skiing but there are the usual skiido and dog sled rides if you want them. It has a very (if I can use the word) authentic feel to it. Most things Snowbizz centre around the Petit Chamois. There's a nice Pizza place down the road and through the tunnel. Last time I was there, about three years ago, some new apartments were being built higher up so there may be more places to eat up there. There are a few small bars in the main centre but it's certainly nothing like the larger French resorts but this is essentially a good thing unless you are looking for nightclubs etc.
There was a nice small bar round the front of the buildings next to the ski rental shop as well which was good for a change as well.
For a young family I can't think of a better place to learn to ski. I did go off-piste there with ski school once but I don't remember much about it in terms of where we went.
I have fond memories of our holidays in Puy. Enjoy yourselves.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are going with snowbizz at the end of january, somaybe we will see you there. It is our third trip and it is fantastic for children.
You might want to ring and enquire about a guide as the 'off-piste' can be either in the national park next to the resort (which i suspect is amazing but big league stuff) or there are plenty of little bits next to pistes etc. the 'roche noir' area is quite good fun, last year it was quiet owing to a 'black grade' drag lift, but this year it is a chair lift so might be buisier (but more accessible).
There is snow shoeing, skidoo hire, a torchlight descent for the kids one night, and snowbizz run 'family skiing' afternoons. The kids club is great for children. There is a french cinema and I think a nightclub somewhere (i like an early night to get up early for skiing!).
There is a great restaurant up the hill through the tunnel (on the road this is) and there are a couple of bars at 1600 and a supermarket. our favourite bar is round the back, by the main entrance to the appartments, it is quieter than the piste side bars, but very good beer.
The last 2 years at the end of january there has been a hungarian snowboard festival called 'snow attack'. Although this sounds awful they have generally been polite young men who don't get up before 12 and who organise loud music for the snow park and boardercross runs. They also have things such as a rail set up in front of the restaurants with a tow so people can show off in front of their mates. Our kids loved it. The downside is same young men buy all the cheap beer/food in the supermarket.
You'll know us if we are there at the same time as you - we have 3 small girls.
Hope that helps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for all the ^^^^

There is also an ice rink (conditions permitting), a little kids park area e.g swing, slide etc and a fenced off safe sledging area.

We had a great time there with Snowbizz Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh yes i had forgotton about the play area - it's got swings and a climbing area - great for playing octonauts last year. The sledging area (you can borrow sledges off snowbizz for free) is rather fast though - and is padded at the bottom, but one of mine went crashing through it (landed in a big pile of snow fortunatly).

Take a big bag to lug kids ski kit from locker room (base of flats) to creche (approx 30 metres). You can leave kids stuff in creche if you prefer.

The ski area is not big, but quite varied and excellent for kids - there is a lovely blue/green run which goes past a cafe and uses a 6 man chair so all the family can get on. The liftees tend to be helpful and polite I have found. There is a nursery slope with a rope tow which is great for little ones as it is well protected from other skiers. The snow garden for snowbizz is also very protected.

Puy has always been sunny when we have been, so I would suggest you pack suncream and maybe sunglasses for sitting outside cafe's.

We also pack a towel to use as a 'door mat' for when we walk into the appartment. The kids have a talent show, a disco and a pizza party in their evening club.

The coach journey ends in a twisty windy bit so pack sickness pills if you think you might need them. Also the coach doesn't stop anywhere for food en route so consider buying food at turin or bringing sarnies from home.

Have you been skiing with children before?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Prepare for the kids wanting to go again next year Laughing It is definately a holiday based around the kids. My two were adament they wouldn't like ski school or kids club but absolutely loved it.

I don't know about proper off piste but there's lots of skiing between the trees snowHead

Enjoy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There'll be my self the wife and my two girls 7 & 4. We all went to la plagne last year, great time but the wife damaged her knee, no skiing for her this year!
This year we have one more family (not skied before) coming with us.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Roughneck, I can only echo the other posts regarding PSV,and Snowbizz.You will have a great time.
We are returning at Easter for the 7th or 8th time. Shocked

My kids are teenagers now and too cool for skischool but the last time we went the eldest and I had a couple of hours every morning with Damien(the Snowbizz ski school manager).

We were lucky to have a dump of snow and Damien took us off the backside in to the Narryoux Valley Cool and we found lots of challenging tree skiing.

There is plenty of great off piste if you know where to look,some of it is obvious to the trained eye and can be reached with small traverses across the bowl area at the top of the mountain but even though i thought i knew the area well after 8 yrs,Damien managed to find some secret places i never knew existed.

If it is relatively quiet at the end of January and he is not booked up with teaching the kids,make some enquiries.

I would imagine you will have a couple of hours free in between family duties wink Thats all you can take as after a couple of hours with Damien you will be ready for lunch. Laughing

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds cool,
I'll be boarding, but I might drop them line.
Thanks every one, I'm sure we'll have a great time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats a good thing to know about the towel at the door. Is there any more tips we should Know?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowbizz Facebook page said there is now a sauna and jacuzzi open between 1 and 9 pm, but costs 15 euro for 20 minutes????? Any of the PSV regulars know if this is the case?

Also, is there a swimming pool in Briancon thats suitable for young kids and relatively easy drive from PSV?

Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sd2010, Briancon is a fair drive from PSV.It must be 25/35 minute IIRC,so a bit far just for a swim maybe?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hedley, we're out there for 2 weeks as of next weekend. Ideally skiing hard trying to find those off-piste gems you've referred to in the morning and then having more relaxed afternoons with the kids, therefore was thinking of a spending a couple of afternoons in Briancon and time allowing maybe a wander across for a look-see at Montgenevre for a bit of a change of scene. Hopefully give tired muscles a rest at the same time Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sd2010, As you,ve got a car it makes sense. Pelvoux is another alternative and MGV is included on the pass.

I think and Briancon/Serre Chevalier are very doable also.

If you are an adventurous skier and the conditions are right PSV has plenty of variety.It will be nice and quiet and I would definately have a few hours with one the Snowbizz instructors if you can.There are very good value compared to the big mega resorts.

I,m not sure whether the southern alps are quite as epic as elsewhere yet but it can all change. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hedley, We had an escape from the kids week pre-xmas in Argentiere with a couple of UCPA guides and had deserted bowls and trees all week. Best off-piste I've ever had this side of the atlantic - but legs were shot by end of week. I hope you're right about it changing, but can't see me getting that lucky in one season for daily powder days Wink

Ref the instructors, I read somewhere that Snowbizz offer guiding in the afternoon. But is this only for those in lessons? And is it more on piste oriented or varies according to level amongst those present?

Thanks
ski holidays
The afternoon guiding is good to ski as a family and familiarise yourself with the resort.Anyone snowbizz clients can take part.

If numbers and abilities allow they will have a slow group and a fast group and will show you around in an informal and socially good fun group.If it snows they may take you through the trees to a secret 'hot chocolate hut' which is a bit of an adventure for the kids but it is mainly piste orientated usually.

If conditions allow and if it is not too busy you need to have a word with Michel(the snowbizz Owner) or Damian(as above) and get two or three hours sans kids.

He will push you in a nice way(but as im sure you understand its all about dropping lucky with the conditions).I would imagine at this slightly quieter time of year they can accomadate you with little notice.

As you are there for a fortnight you should get some freshies (and the good thing about that neck of the woods) is you rarely get more than a couple of days of poor weather before the sun comes out wink
ski holidays
@sd2010 we were there over Christmas. Had a fantastic time snowHead

The jacuzzi/hot tub were due to open that week but weren't ready yet. They are next to the ice rink.
snow report
When we went with Snowbizz a few years ago they had a family slalom competition on the last afternoon. I assumed it would be on an easy blue but it was on a steep red slope. Shocked It was good fun anyway!
ski holidays
StuHolmes, if it is indeed €20 for 15 minutes I can't see me using it much unfortunately!

snowymum, this will be week no. 1 on as a 4 year old for my eldest on skis - she's done a bit with us and snow garden as 3 yo, but I can't see the wife letting me put her down a red slalom Wink Am praying she enjoys it and fingers crossed I'd love to see her doing some runs on her own by end of hol.
latest report
sd2010 - sorry I probably wasn't clear. What I meant to say was that it was my husband and I who did the red slalom. It was my first time skiing after a gap of a few years and I found it challenging doing a steep slope at speed. Some of the older children did the course too.

My daughter is now 6 and has been skiing a few times but she still wouldn't be up for a slalom as she much prefers to go straight down and not bother turning when she's with us. Laughing
ski holidays
Roughneck, We are off down to Puy with Snowbizz week after next (Jan 22), it will be our 6th time. The kids (9 and 12) insist on re-visiting every year, hopefully bump into you there. The ski school is v good and certainly got my skiing going, last year myself and thomas (12) did three morning sessions with one of the instructors, Quentin, which was great although we didn't have the best snow for it. This year will probably do the same, speak to Michel at the beginning of the week and he will sort you out. If conditions suit and enough people are up for it I believe in the past some insturctors have taken trips to La Grave for those so inclined. I popped over to Serre Che for a morning last year (we drive down) which was fun and the lift pass covers it. Puy itself is a mine of small off-piste areas which seem to remain fresh for a good time after snow. We've never explored the side valley but would love to do so with a guide. Here's hoping for some fresh snow in the next week or so.
snow report
Just out of curiosity, is there any bias between catered or self catered option amongst those who tend to return annually?
Normally in apartment we go SC, but wanted this to be more of a holiday for us with less cooking.
latest report
We've been half-board every time, once with breakfast, twice just evening meals. We found breakfast in the Restaurant delayed us getting out and made it difficult to get any skiing before ski school. I would thoroughly recommend the evening half-board though. The food is good and service is good and it's a great opportunity to chat with the other Snowbizz guests. The Petis Chamois is under new management and we were their first Snowbizz customers. There were a few teething problems with menus etc. but they were keen to please and very freindly. Also the Snowbizz pink ladies host a quiz in there most evenings.
latest report
We've always self-catered but eat out at the Petit Chamois a few times, find it gives us flexibility. Pity if management at Chamois have changed , they were a lovely family.
snow report
philipb, Seconded. It's such a shame. We really got on well with the team at the Chamois. It was like meeting old friends again every year.

I wonder what the reasoning behind there decision not to renew the lease was.I know it must be incredibly hard work for such a short season but they were always the busiest restaurant in PSV.

Good luck to the new owners but it will feel different.

FWIW we have tried all the food options and found it better to just do our own thing.

Breakfast in the apt seems to work better as it gives you a little more time to get everyone fed and kitted out.

We always eat out as it is a holiday after all.

When we weighed up what we spent on meals etc it was still better value than taking the Snowbizz 5 night catered option.
Plus I find three courses every night a bit much and preferred the option of choosing exactly what I want.

We are not out there till 1 st April this year so it will be nice to hear how the new set up at Petit Chamois is working out.

The La Grave option really appeals to me though. Does anyone have any info on this?

I'm assuming you would need to have driven to Puy?
snow conditions
Quote:

Briancon is a fair drive from PSV. It must be 25/35 minute IIRC

Actually it was 12 miles when I clocked it in Jan 2011 when I tried to do a day trip from Braincon. Didn't ski there as parking was a hassle. Only spent an hour to look around but wasn't impressed. The main entrance to what looked like a grand Centre d'Commerical (right at the resort base station) painted black and had the springs screwed to the doors to do auto closure, like those used on a back garden gate in UK. Inside the facilities were rather poorly maintained. We ended up driving a 10 miles further distance and paid extra to ski Risoul/Vars instead which has 180km piste and is a lot bigger than the 75km piste of PSV (which automatically covered by a 6-day Galaxy ski pass bought from Serre Chevalier).

We spent some time around the Milky Way and areas around Briancon and Chantemerle of Serre Chevalier for coffee and meals. These places have a lot more activities, updated facilities, livelier and more holiday-like than PSV which could be a good starting place to learn skiing. Going back there year after year is alright if one gets tired of Les Deux Alps, L'Alps D' Huez, La Grave, Serre Chevalier, Montegenevre and the rest of the Italian Milky Way in the same valley and skiable by the same Galaxy ski pass.
ski holidays
saikee, each to their own but perhaps if you'd taken the time to ski around a bit you would have understood the appeal of PSV especially for families as it allows the kids to explore and advance their skiing both on and off-piste. Our two are now pretty accomplished and we do visit bigger resorts on other trips each season but they love coming back to PSV. Agree that Risoul is also a good destination, we'll be heading there for our third time this Easter.
hedley, I'll try and do a little trip report when we get back and let you know how the Chamois is now, I think the previous owners were from Reims and came down for the winter season and the short summer season. I think it was the son Ben who ran things, very affable chap. The trips to La Grave are I think organised ad-hoc depending on interest, best bet would be to speak to Michel or one of the instructors when you are there. I think it's possible that an instructor could take a car, but this is all second hand info!
snow conditions
La Grave! mmmm

I'm going to have to do a lot of creeping for that one!
philipb, were going on the 29th so I think we'll miss you, but thanks for the info.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philipb, yes, Ben was really nice - it's a shame they are not there. When we went back there after the first year he greeted me like an old friend which I've never experienced on holiday. It doesn't take much to foster loyalty, just a simple handshake and I'll eat in your restaurant every night! That's a little less reason to return unfortunately - never mind.
snow report
Aplogies for jumping on this thread - but it's kind of related - has anyone done any cross country skiing in PSV? or snow shoeing?
snow conditions
My wife can not ski this year, and the nice people at snowbizz have asked if she is up to snow shoeing. So I guess there must be some kind of snowshoeing. I need to ring and ask.
latest report
Flying from Manchester, does any one know what the baggage allowance is per person and on snowboard bags. I think it 20K each but how much for snowboard bags?
snow report
Roughneck, You need to speak to SNOWBIZZ and tell them how many board bags you have.
Ive Never ever had a problem with a big coffin bag with 4 pairs of skis.
latest report
kapow, I've never cross country skied in Puy (or anywhere else for that matter) but believe it is pretty popular and certainly one comes across lots of marked trails and people using them.
snow report
Roughneck, thanks- good to know. philipb, No, we've never done cross country skiing either - have to say I don't fancy it really, but hubby is recovering from knee op and so we're exploring other stuff. He's always fancied having a go at cross country. I'll give Wendy a ring I think!
snow conditions
For anyone due out this weekend - make sure you've got some good edges on your skis Smile Blue skys, but lot of very hard pack scraped slopes at moment - with grass starting to poke through in a few places on runs off top of the peaks.
latest report
sd2010, I'm guessing the off-piste is pretty tracked out then? Conditions sound similar to last year. A small amount of snow is forecast for the weekend but at the moment doiesn't look to amount to much.
latest report
Quote:

have to say I don't fancy it really, but hubby is recovering from knee op and so we're exploring other stuff. He's always fancied having a go at cross country.

It's well worth a go, and unless it's just a really boring flat circuit, much more challenging than you might think. Balancing on very thin skis with no metal edges, with free heels, isn't easy!
ski holidays
take lessons - you do see people just sort of shuffling around, but that's not the way it's supposed to be.
latest report
philipb, more than tracked out - scraped off or hardened crud - makes some of the bumps interesting Wink. First time we went up the pendine chair, I honestly thought that was piste up above where get off the chair, then it dawned on me that it was the ridge I'd seen on Youtube with people skiing in powder. I'm really hoping more stuff arrives at the weekend than is forecast (mainly because I can't be bothered to go and hire a pair of carvers!). Fingers crossed Toofy Grin

On separate point completely, which hope will help others - reference the catered option in the Chamois, I really wish now that hadn't chosen it and had cooked in the apartment combined with few restaurant nights. Food has been OK for me and wife, but tonight my 4 yo daughter asked for the chicken nuggets and chips. I'd nipped outside for a quick smoke and through window saw meals arriving on table, daughter had massive plate of chips with 4 chicken nuggets balanced on top. Wife's face said it all. She complained and waitress pretty much feigned ignorance. Think I calculated it out to something like £3.50 per chicken nugget the meal cost. Shocked Think tomorrow I'm going to ask if they work out the number of nuggets commensurate to the age of the kid Twisted Evil

Wife has also asked if it is possible, for some variety for daughter to get a kid-sized portion of main or pizza for daughter as kids menu is nugget/chips or steak haiche with chips/pasta. - told not an option. Also, no veg with kids meal, so tomorrow will probably order several salads, even though the wife and I don't usually do starters.

Not feeling happy vibe as far as Chamois is concerned at the moment!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy