Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saint Gervais/Bettex - good family option

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Spent 27 Dec 3 Jan staying in Le Bettex, up the hill from Saint Gervais with the family.

Thought it was worth a little review because the area doesn't seem very well known by Brits and offers some good options for families.

Skiing:

Saint Gervais is linked to Megeve, down the valley from Les Contamines (not linked) and round the corner from Chamonix. It's a decent sized area but not that high and lacks a bit of excitement for strong skiers. There is a lot of skiing in the trees (great for early season bad weather) but the lower altitude (most of the skiing is between 1500m and 2000m) would make me a bit cautious late season. I go on two types of ski holiday - with the family (kids 7 and 9) and with mates (all of whom are strong off-piste skiers). Saint Gervais is great for the first type but would never be our choice for the second. That said, we had a dump while we were out there and I found some nice tree skiiing to play with. these kind of resorts do have the benefit that few people are looking for powder, so you dont have to fight for tracks...

Transfer:

One of the easiest in the Alps - less than an hour on autoroutes to Saint Gervais from GVA.

Accommodation:
We stayed in the Hotel Fleche D'Or in Le Bettex (Saint Gervais 1400m). I think this is a great option for families.

Le Bettex is scarcely a Village. It's accessible by road but is mainly a mid station on the main bubble up from Saint Gervais. There are a couple of hotels a few houses, a supermarket and ski shops. You don't stay there for the night life.

On the other hand if you value ski convenience and one of the best views in the Alps then read on!

The Fleche D'or is at the junction of two pistes, it is 75m from a good ski hire shop, 100m from the main bubble, 25m from a drag and 150m from the ESF office (and Jardin de neige). It's utterly ski-in, ski-out and you could practically ski into the excellent boot room if someone held the door open for you!

The view from the terrace, restaurant and most of the rooms is stunning. You have better views in Murren and Zermatt but I can't think of anywhere else. You look at the Himalayan scale West Face of Mont Blance, the Aiguille de Gouter, Aiguille de Bonnassay, Domes de Miage. If you have Anselme Baudes's guide to off-piste skiing in the Mont Blanc Massif you can pick out all sorts of inspiring (or terrifying) lines from your breakfast table.

The Hotel is rated 2-star but all the bedrooms have just been renovated and are very comfortable, tasteful. nice en-suites, balconies, etc. The clientele is mainly French families but the family who run the hotel are very welcoming to Brits. They can organise transfers and will meet you at the road to carry your bags across the piste to the hotel by skidoo.
The great thing is the location. It's so easy to ski while the kids are in ski school, meet back at the hotel for lunch and nip out after the children have had a rest. You can even go out for a couple of runs while the kids are watching a DVD in the lounge.

Worth considering.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jedster, exceellent review and definitely food for thought.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jedster, thanks for that, very nice review. St Gervais is on my list, we nearly went same time as you but our accomm (in town) didn't come off. Maybe next year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy