Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recycling in French Alps

Poster: A snowHead
I have noticed a trend to more recycling activities in recent trips to french alps with the advent of numerous bins for glass, paper etc but looks like this is on the increase...

The Savoy region has banned supermarkets from distributing free plastic bags – and from now on shoppers will have to bring their own bags, or purchase sturdy reusable ones. 13 million bags were distributed last year alone in the Savoie, comprising 780 tons of rubbish.

We may be packing more than our skis next season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mouth, Thanks for that another item on the packing list or I suppose we could simply take a boot bag to the Supermarche Blush
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it takes a bit of getting used to, but the supermarkets sell some strong, cheap, carriers. We cursed a few times, when we first encountered this (this summer) but it makes lots of sense and I wish the supermarkets here would do the same. And charge a deposit for trolleys. We can recycle more in Savoie than we can here in the UK, including metal-lined tetrapaks (orange juice etc) and batteries - there are battery recycling containers in the local mini-mart. Mind you, that doesn't stop the idle leaving huge boxes full of empty coke bottles and beer cans inside the "abri poubelle", two metres from the relevant recycling bins.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mouth, Laughing I know, I keep forgetting. We now have a collection of about 50 reusable bags, as I never have one with me when I go to the supermarket.

Anyone passing through needs one, just drop by... wink

And Mountain Riders regularly organises clean-ups around here, on another environmental front.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
metal-lined tetrapaks (orange juice etc) and batteries - there are battery recycling containers in the local mini-mart.

The UK must be horrifically bad then, the French are a long way behind their European neighbours.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I didn't know that plastic bags were banned. Thanks for the tip about taking your own.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We always get caught out every year at super U; a trolley piled high with chesse and wine and no carrier bags or boxes in sight. I now have a lovely collection of the carrier bags that you can purchase, but always forget to pack them for our return trips.

Recycling in Brtitain is abysmal, I've lost count of the times that I've had to return home with my bottles etc. We have recycling bags for paper and plastic, but we aren't given enough; I put out at least 2 bags of recycling to 1 bag of rubbish each week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise wrote:
pam w wrote:
metal-lined tetrapaks (orange juice etc) and batteries - there are battery recycling containers in the local mini-mart.

The UK must be horrifically bad then, the French are a long way behind their European neighbours.

Well you can recycle batteries anywhere in Europe by taking them back to the point of purchase - it is one of those EU directives.

A major difference between France and the UK is France tends to incinerate a lot of rubbish so there is less landfill - just don't buy a house or chalet near an incinerator as they pump out dioxins - although I guess there must be some control on those things, will have to ask the missus.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Agree with the bag thing, disagree with the trolley deposit- so you know how frustrating it is if you dont have a £1 coin?!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee, The French have thought of that one too, you can buy a trolley token for one Euro just keep it in your purse or car at -least you can't spend it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
soon all electrical goods will have to be recycled by returning to point of purchase recycle electrical goods
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, I've found that quite often they'll just give you the token free if you ask for one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mouth wrote:

The Savoy region has banned supermarkets from distributing free plastic bags – and from now on shoppers will have to bring their own bags, or purchase sturdy reusable ones. 13 million bags were distributed last year alone in the Savoie, comprising 780 tons of rubbish.

Ireland has been doing that for a good while now.

The latest idea is a purchase tax on consumer durables, such as fridges, to pay for recycling them.

Rubbish is an expensive business over there. Cowboy operators have taken to flytipping in the North.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latchigo wrote:

The latest idea is a purchase tax on consumer durables, such as fridges, to pay for recycling them.

We have that, it's a variable tax based on the future disposal, covers pretty much anything electrical from fridges to radios.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Well you can recycle batteries anywhere in Europe by taking them back to the point of purchase - it is one of those EU directives.

Yes, but unless that's a short walk, one might contribute more to global warming getting them there. A convenient container at the check out of the supermarket actually persuades me to do it. Our local area is actually not bad at recyling, but others - for example Brighton - have only just started a recycling doorstep collection. My student kids in Brighton, without cars, have been moaning for years, as they have to feel very motivated to walk over a mile with large bags of bottles and cans. Some UK authorities collect garden waste from the doors - but where my mother lives it still goes into landfill, the only difference from regular rubbish is that you have to pay for the garden waste bags. I suppose we should all make more fuss, and demand better recycling - and less wasteful packaging.

On French trolleys, I got a free token when I went in a supermarket to get change of a euro note. It sits in a pocket in the car and is always handy. However, if their use became very widespread the whole point of a deposit would be lost! In Cherbourg, near the yacht marina, I have seen kids hanging around asking for trolleys to take back to the supermarket - when last there, having wheeled a heavy trolley over about a quarter of a mile, partly cobbled, I was only too delighted to hand it over.
snow report
I'm not allowed into the local 'waste transfer and recycling station' (used to be called the tip but then they spent £250k on it) because I don't drive a car.
I'm not allowed in with my van because it's a commercial vehicle and I can't park outside and drag the junk in as they don't do walk ins. rolling eyes The only remaining option is to take the bottles and paper to the supermarket recycling bins but they fill up too quickly so I run the risk of driving the stuff there and back before putting it in the bin, so it all goes in the bin now.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, if you drive a van in Yorkshire you have the same problem, you can apply for a special pass which allows you in but you have to show that the rubbish you dump is not business related.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy