Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen: a few post trip thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thought I would share some random info about my pre-Christmas trip to Mayrhofen (10th -15th December)

Sorry its late and there was no snow report on my return but conditions changed with heavy snow on my day of departure making any snow report instantly out of date and some of us have had to work over the Christmas period!

First of all, the train from Munich airport to Mayrhofen.
Don’t be caught out by the train from the airport to the central station in Munich, it takes longer than you think 40-45 mins. For the main Munich to Jenbach train I recommend booking a seat as even on a low season Saturday the train was very full and many seats where reserved (with tiny labels above the window which most people didn’t see and ended up being turfed out onto the corridor). Peak season could be a bit of squeeze. The return back to Munich on a Thursday was much more peaceful.

Mayrhofen grumble.
I love the place but a full price ticket of 170 euros for 5 day lift pass when only 5 lifts and pistes open on the main Penken mountain. No discount, what’s German for rip off? I know it covers the Hintertux but come on. This was all made worse by the faint whispers of biblical snow falls in the French alps and as far east as St Anton.

Kaltenbach/ Hochfugen
This area is a very well kept secret, obviously to keep the British hordes away. Too late - the secrets out now. 33 euros in a taxi from Mayhofen and 20mins for 4 of us (or free on the train with lift ticket -30 mins and 200-300yds walk at the Kaltenbach end). The approach is not promising at all, a massive carpark with a huge warehouse-like multistoreys carparks at the base. The gondola disappearing up the green/brown hill. No alpine dream here you would think but as you get closer you can see it’s a double high capacity gondola system and once up the midstation there are multiple fast lifts and excellent piste conditions. It appeared to be Winter here whereas Mayrhofen it was early autumn at best. This place is well worth a visit, its has a larger ski area than Mayrhofen. If you are ever in Mayhofen and things are a bit ropey, then rather than join the crowds heading for the glacier be a wise snowhead and check out the Kaltenbach/Hochfugen area. I dont think you will be disappointed. Avoid weekends though, those carparks are can get very with daytrippers.

regards

Waltond
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are staying in Ramsau towards the end of January, what are the free trains and buses like running between resorts. We are planning to do 2 days in Mayrhofen, 2 days in Zell am Ziller and 2 days in Hochfugen. We wont have a car as we are on a TO package so will be relying on the busses and trains to get us up and down the valley.

What sought of timetable to they run to and do you know what time the last train/bus to Ramsau is? I believe Ramsau has a train stop and also a bus stop.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
depthjunkie, The Zillertalbahn train and bus timetable is here. Basically the train service (in red) runs every 30 mins, plus there are addititional busses as shown in green. You'll see that the last connection from Mayrhofen to Ramsau is the 19:48 train from Mayrhofen.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for that Alastair, spot on

cheers
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
it`s very easy to use the train . done it many times when staying in mayrhofen. only gone to zell and kaltenbach, both are very good . the run from zell over to gerlos it great. theres 1 small run thats a bit of a pain on a board as it`s flat , but otherwise , great. im in hippach from 14 th . when you going?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sorry , just seen you`re other thread . missed you by a week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy