Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yes there can be too much snow. 3 Valleys.

Poster: A snowHead
The title of this thread reflected an earlier thread asking if there can be too much snow, well I think the answer is a resounding YES! Here is how my 1st trip of 2012 has gone so far.

Day 1

We arrived in Brides-Les-Bains early on Monday 2nd January 2012 for a week skiing through Skiweekends.com. An uneventful trip down on a brand new coach with loads of leg room & reclining seats in which I had a good nights sleep. The main reasons for choosing this type of journey was after you put your bags on the coach you don't need to touch them again until you arrive at the hotel and you arrive at a great time in the morning with a full day of skiing ahead of you.

A quick breakfast & then the 2 minute minibus transfer to the Olympic gondola in B-L-B & then the 20 minute ride up the mountain. Deposit the OH at the ESF school in Meribel & time for myself and my son to pop over the mountain & head towards Les Menuires to get ourselves slowly into rhythm of skiing & snowboarding on real snow again.

Up the Tougnete 1 & 2 lifts, down the gros tougne easy blue to the Granges chair which takes us up 3 Marches area. All going very well at this point & we feel unstoppable. Thought I would introduce my son to his first red run, the alouette down to the Cote Brune chair. A short red run which wasn't too steep most of the time. He seemed to enjoy that & as a proud dad that all my ideas were going to plan I felt good. Up until this point the runs had been very powdery & with that I think it slowed us down to a nice pace. Well off to Mont de la chambre & to his 1st alpine restaurant experience, half way down. A few specks of snow falling but we were wrapped up & warm so that didn't matter. Arrived at the restaurant & had an excellent cheese omelette & a nice rest. Time for the afternoon plan, down to Les Menuires, over the mountain & back to Meribel for the Gondola home.

As soon as we looked outside of the restaurant we saw that it had started snowing heavily. Skis & snowboard on & we had what must have been the worse experience I have every had on skis. During the decent down the mountain we had zero visibility, my goggles froze up on the inside & outside. We could not see the piste markers & at 1 point I skied off & ended up in a 3ft drift which came up above my waist. I got very worried that I couldn't always see my 15 year old & that we could end up separated. After a very long & slow decent, not made any easier by the fact we couldn't see any piste signs we arrived in Les Meniures hoping that it may not be as harsh down here, wrong!

At this point we just wanted to be back in the warm hotel by the open fire. My coat had frozen by the collar & we couldn't bend it down, the telephone had stopped working & we were getting very cold.

Journey back was minimum skiing & maximum sat in a lift time. Ski lifts were all dark as completely covered in snow, skiing inbetween spent with head down & keep together.

Eventually got back to the hotel thinking never again.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 3-01-12 22:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lived to tell the tale! Quit moaning!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Journey back was minimum skiing & maximum sat in a lift time. Ski lifts were all dark as completely covered in snow, skiing inbetween spent with head down & keep together.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Pardon?

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have experienced those kind of conditions before, fortunately in an area I am very familiar with, even so can sympathise with the feelings you must have had of being completely disorientated, in my case I went to take a side run only to discover they hadn't pisted it yet, I think there was about 5 or more feet of snow at the turn off, I certainly got a face full of snow. Only thing you can do in those conditions is get down below the tree line where the visibility will significantly improve and its easier to make out the edges of the piste, if skiing in a resort with no trees, find a nice warm lounge and a good book.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shakeywith, not quite the fun holiday skiing you were after I guess. Whilst there are a few on this forum who would revel in those conditions many more would be feeling just as you are now. One of the things I think a lot of us "recreational" skiers don't have is that weather sense that would warn us that it's time to call it a day. However, tomorrow is another day and could well be fantastic. And in years to come you will look back on this and know that you made it through. Here's hoping that the rest of the week is fantasic.

If it helps the weather in the UK today has been atrocious. Pelting down with rain with high winds. I'd rather be where you are.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, Laughing Laughing beaucoup de sauce ce soir?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish wrote:
Quote:

Pardon?

snowHead

not just me then...

paulio we're being dense, please translate.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Day 2

Woke up aching from yesterdays little adventure, my son dressed & ready so not put him off. Time for breakfast, grab our packed lunches & down to the minibus. All the staff very excited telling us how perfect today is going to be. If it ends up like yesterday I will see how perfect they think it is with a ski pole up their nether regions Toofy Grin

Beautiful blue skies & very warm today on the transfer, ah the 3 Valleys I know & love so much. I wonder if they know I met their evil twin brother yesterday?

Up the Rhodos Gondola for 4 runs down the blue Duron run by the side of the Rond Point. Wow this is what I want. Light & fluffy snow, Goggles on to stop the sun glare & stripping off layers after each run as we were getting very hot. Even brought a smile to the teenagers face (must keep that memory for when we get home as he has hit the moody years ) Laughing

Down to the ESF & pick up the OH (who is about to pass out through dehydration & looks very pale). Drink & food for all 3 of us then Tougnete 1& 2, down to the Grand Lac cafe to deposit the OH while myself & my son pop up the Granges chair & do the Grand Lac blue run, my favourite run in the area as it has nice wide stretches & the most beautiful views. Quick play with the GoPro
http://youtube.com/v/OoBplRawPpc & down for a cappuccino which is waiting which we have outside in the sun.

Refreshed by the drink time for us all to hit the Granges chair again, the OH who is new to skiing not looking forward to the chair as she has a habit of either falling or not being able to get off the chairs which always results in the operators stopping the lift & shouting at her. This time the journey went well & the dismount (don't know if thats the right phrase) goes according to plan & all 3 off us ski to the Plattieres bubble. We all go in for a journey down the mountain with us 2 males getting off at the 1st stop & meeting the OH at the far end. The blue Sittelle is our next run, snowbaord & ski together. In the sunshine that has held out all day on what must be as near perfect conditions as could be hoped for. My son being very talkative & racing me down to the end of the run. Quite a few people on the slopes but plenty of room to ski & everywhere seems to be excellent underfoot.

OH waiting down at Meribel Mottaret for us, her journey was more adventurous as the bubble kept cutting out, leaving her high up in a car on her own wondering if she would get down today.

Time for a leisurely family run back to Meribel & the Olympic Gondola. Nice green which the OH snowploughed the full length of, as per her lessons. My son & I agreeing to stop every 200 metres to wait for her but as usual that turned into a series of mini sprint races between the 2 of us. The green run down took us about 20 minutes however big smiles all round & it ended our day on a family high, loads of videos taken to show people & enthusiasm for the next day.

Back at the hotel & a long soak followed by an excellent meal (well done to the chef at Hotel Verseau) & looking forward to day 3 (of 5).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shakeywith, bet you're not complaining today though. Bit busy but snow was pretty good.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shakeywith, could you put a translation up for paulio please as your summary makes far too much sense for him/her to understand.

(sense much summary sense translation please summary understand)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For someone such as myself not familiar with video technology..... that footage freaked me out. How does your right hand pull you down the mountain?

paulio,'s post was troublesome enough.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
palumbex wrote:
For someone such as myself not familiar with video technology..... that footage freaked me out. How does your right hand pull you down the mountain?

paulio,'s post was troublesome enough.

Its attached to cameraman, sound recordist & the director so their weight pulls you down Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
that video viewpoint is certainly very odd. It reminded me of something. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, then subsequently decided that putting my finger on it was the last thing I wanted to do..... Twisted Evil

shakeywith, sympathies for being caught out in a blizzard your first day. Not nice, especially with your son to look after. It was forecast, though....
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

shakeywith, sympathies for being caught out in a blizzard your first day. Not nice, especially with your son to look after. It was forecast, though....

I'm English, when we hear there is going to be some snow we think of 2-3cm in 24 hours. Lesson learnt, the hard way snowHead
snow report
I would take losing every other day to blizzards if it meant the other half of the days were going to have perfect snow and decent visibility over the wall to wall to sunshine for a week two weeks after the last proper snowfall that is all to common in the alps.

Indeed, if pay an arm and a leg to go to the supposed mecca of skiing you are advised to expect to spend at least half your days killing time in the bar trying not to be too hungover for when the clouds break and you don't see the people returning from Alaska moaning.
snow report
Last post for the night, a short video of part of the green run from Mottaret to Meribel.

http://youtube.com/v/VQr482pjOjw.

Hopefully more great times tomorrow. Loving the 3 Valleys despite the blizzard. Hope this thread didn't sound like a moan as its not posted for that reason. I was hoping to post everyday and thought I would share yesterdays 'adventure' as well as todays fun.

Roll on tomorrow.
snow conditions
hmm my original post was negative so I have edited.

The weather is going to get the better of you on some days, but I prefer to think of it as a challenge. Better on the slopes then at home. I also prefer the helmet cam to the pole cam (although really cool for tricks & fast tree runs etc)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 4-01-12 0:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

thought I would share yesterdays 'adventure' as well as todays fun

I applaud that. Many of us have felt miserable/scared in those sort of conditions, in unfamiliar (or even familiar) surroundings and there's nothing wrong with owning up to that. There are some genuinely tough mountain men and brilliant skiers on snowheads, and I love to read their reports, but there are also, I bet, a fair few posers who would never admit to those OMG moments even though they're no tougher or more skilful than the rest of us.
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

Many of us have felt miserable/scared in those sort of conditions, in unfamiliar (or even familiar) surroundings and there's nothing wrong with owning up to that.
+ 1
latest report
kioksor, first time using the pole cam mount & did it as an experiment. The video is unedited & posted as shot. I usually use a mixture of helmet & chest mount but what I was looking for was different viewpoints to put together a short film when I get home.

pam w, Thanks for those kind words. Both miserable & scared covered my feelings on that day. Thankfully I know its the odd day that gets like that & with a bit better planning on my part we can attempt to avoid a rerun of Monday events. If not we always have days like the Tuesday to look forward too.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 4-01-12 8:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
shakeywith, I ended up waist deep in powder snow during a very misty day in Sunshine Village 2 years ago whilst trying to stay on-piste, my glasses kept steaming up under my goggles and I could hardly see where I was going. Thankfully I hadn't gone off the piste by much so I managed to get out of it safely but I kept to the tree lined areas after that!

I'm arriving into the 3 Valleys on Saturday, so these videos are great to see. snowHead
ski holidays
I am currently sitting in bed down in la tania, looking at the White out, out there! But I have paid for a 7 day 3V pass and I am determined to use it! Not sure that this will be the best days skiing ever.

Look forward to comparing experiences tonight, OP Smile
ski holidays
Lucylou, how are the conditions in La Tania and is the resort busy? I'll be skiing the Courchevel Valley on Sunday to get the ski legs back!
snow report
Lucylou, get up you mad moo - it will be sunny by 10.30am - really!
snow report
RichardB, It's fine, the runs down to the village have stayed nice while we have been here and should be even better later, given this morning's snow! The village was busy over NY, well busy for La Tania, nothing like 1850, but seems to have quietened down this past couple of days. We certainly haven't experienced any major lift queues and have so far covered most of courchevel and meribel.

We went over to 1650 yesterday and the conditions were just perfect Smile

red 27, It's looking promising now, off out in a bit Smile
snow conditions
shakeywith, I know what you mean in whiteout conditions, I had the same a few years ago with my son when we were off piste, we knew the resort really well but we still ended up about 200m away from where we thought we were.

PS Nice gloves Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lucylou, Thanks for the info!

I'm getting impatient now, I'm off work this week but I'm starting to half wish I was working till this Friday. Shocked
snow conditions
Lucylou, I'd get your ass out there today, Thursday/Friday shaping up to be pretty grim.
snow report
Quote:

we still ended up about 200m away from where we thought we were.

that's nothing! My OH once ended up in a deep gulley, way off piste, right under a chairlift which was not the chairlift he initially thought it was! If you were only 200m out you were doing well.
latest report
livetoski, Gloves are excellent (do I get extra discount off future orders for the demonstration?) Very Happy
ski holidays
shakeywith,
Quote:

Gloves are excellent (do I get extra discount off future orders for the demonstration?

Of course Toofy Grin and i you see my lad (hes in La Tania for the season) and manage to video him off piste I will supply free gloves when the ones you have wear out Toofy Grin
snow report
shakeywith wrote:
Loving the 3 Valleys despite the blizzard.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

You wouldn't be skiing on anything but plastic, if not for the blizzard rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

You wouldn't be skiing on anything but plastic, if not for the blizzard

that's a bit harsh. Conditions recently have been exceptional - we often get snow falling in less dramatic ways!
latest report
shakeywith, The joys of skiing I wish they would arrange the snow for overnight
We always try to ski a bit even on the very snowy days but sometimes you just have to give in and find somewhere for a beer
As you have found the conditions when the storm passes is worth the wait
Enjoy

Austria now less than 10 days away Smile
snow conditions
Day 3

Bit of rain down in Brides-Les-Bains as we get on to the Olympe gondola. OH already up at the Ski school & my son & I decide to wait until we get to chaudanne before we decide on the next move. Bit of low cloud as we leave the Gondola.

http://youtube.com/v/9Qe-wnXhapY
So we decide to go up the Rhodos 1 & 2, ski down to the Loze & head over the hill. Looking quite snowy up here too so thinking of heading back down under the cloud

Visibility opens up on the beautiful tree lined routes of Lapin, Hulotte & doron blues back down into the chaudanne area for chocolate & a drink.

http://youtube.com/v/VaGIScjCwgA

A quick look up either side & we think about going up the Tougnette 1 & 2 to see what the visibility is like. A gentle blue of the gros tougne down towards the Granges chair and the snow is coming down quite heavily again. We look up the Granges chair but that disappears after a short length but what appears to be brighter skies to our right & down towards Saint Martin. We travel down the long blue run of Pelozet in sunshine & beautiful views ahead of us.

http://youtube.com/v/ZEEfKooFN1I
The sky is blue, the slopes are covered in a fine powder and conditions must be near perfection down here.

http://youtube.com/v/D46PpAo8c7U
we head back up the Saint Martin 2 chair for pack lunch at the Tougnette 2 chair, snow a bit persistent here so after a quick sandwich we plan to descend via the Foan blue run, a long & I think steep in places run that takes us down to Tougnette 1 gondola. The snow is powdery here & that helps me come down at a slowish pace. A lot of people on this run today & although not my most enjoyable run of the day as not a great deal to see around and having to dodge more people than I would have liked we make down.

http://youtube.com/v/UOqVMQ30GPo

Visibility getting worse the further down we go, we must get under the cloud at some time I thought. Just gone 1pm so planned to head to Meribel Mottaret for some shelter and a warm drink. Stayed snowing heavily on the way down & still snowing as we reach Mottaret. Had the rest of our packed lunch in the shelter of the tourist information building, tried to get a hot drink but everywhere seemed to be full so headed down the truite towards Meribel.

As soon as we got on this green run down to the village the snow stopped, visibility opened up and off we went on fine powdery snow. Going well until towards the end of the run when my son tries to avoid someone who brakes in front of him and bounces on his head. Thank goodness for helmets. He goes a lovely shade of white & starts to shake a little. Meribar for a hot chocolate & some food seems to help him recover but that will be it for him for the day, or so I tell him. We meet the OH who has also had enough skiing for the day. Too early to head back to the hotel just yet for me so I thought 1 more time up the Rhodos & down the doron before calling it a day. At the top my son insists on 1 more run, weighing up the bump to the head against him losing confidence again I reluctantly agree with the OH making her way down in the bubble to meet up with us at the end of the slope. The run went very well, my son had got colour back in his face & said he was feeling fine again.

http://youtube.com/v/OrJVXeKWvKo

3rd day of 5. All 3 of us having a good time & very tired by the time we get back to the hotel. Some good footage shot and hopefully more good runs tomorrow. Lesson learnt today - know when to call it a day & go home on a high note.[/url]
snow conditions
RichardB, Hope you enjoy your time out here as much as we have so far.
ski holidays
Complete the following question:-

Quote:

How does your right hand pull you.....? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
shakeywith, thanks! Could you tell me how your stay in Brides Les Bains went and how good are skiweekends are?

I'm keeping options open for next year and noticed going by coach from London Victoria saves quite a bit of cash, are the coaches comfortable for someone over 6 foot?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy