Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much clothing to take?

Poster: A snowHead
snowbandit, +1. Merino tops can be worn for exactly 2 weeks before they get a bit musty. Tried and tested. Socks can be worn for 3 days, again, Merino will be a bit kinder on the nose. 6 pairs of ski socks and dozens of base layers must cost a fortune! Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Merino base layer if you only want one set of thermals and don't want to be rather smelly by the end of the week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sharkymark, -looks like Merino is the future - I will stick with two pairs of socks though and go with your 1 pair for 3 days ruling - two being enough for a week. She has bought me a Meriino top aswell - I will take a trusty Patagonia base layer in reserve.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not wishing to mix this discussion up more but I seem to remember a few years back a thread which asked whether people wore their skiing jackets on the journey (airport etc) or pack it and wear an "alternative" outer garment.
I tend to take too much of everything and I do pack my ski jacket but wear another weather proof coat for travel/evenings. This is the coat I wear at home anyway, so the ski jacket is for skiing only. I tend to take enough socks for everyday, thermal base layers, probably only need one skiing fleece, one pair ski gloves, one pair non-ski gloves (like the jacket arrangement), wear walking boots which are my only alternate footwear to ski boots. Clean, different clothes for the evening.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it just me that considers showering with one's clothes on a little bizarre?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry Pedantica, but it's probably just you.

I guess strictly speaking they don't have to be worn to be cleaned in the shower. Thrown in shower tray and trampled on with washed off soap and shampoo will do the job quite effectively too. Then rung out with viciously tight knots.

Like Sharkymark, I find Merino stuff has now made this redundant. Mind you, us Kiwis have been trying to tell the world about the benefits of wool on skin Shocked (and not just on Saturday nights ) for decades!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big Paua, hmmm. Tbh, that's not my preferred method of laundry either. Toofy Grin But I entirely agree about the benefits of merino - all my base layers are now merino ones (or silk).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Is it just me that considers showering with one's clothes on a little bizarre?

I was wondering - do you washing powder or shower gel?

John
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scorpio21, she is also particularly adept at washing machine use and has cleaned it all beyond recognition and as extra punishment has banned me from spending any more money on gear!!!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sev112 wrote:
Seriously though, the really big advantage of the no smoking laws in europe is that you can wear your ski jacket out in teh evening and not stink of smoke the next morning on the first ift

Has reduced the amout of gear I need to take on a ski holiday dramatically, don't need a change of t=shirt for every evening in the bar!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow thank you all so much for your input to this thread ! So much good advice - think I am on the right track now! Have to say that I can't let go of my 6 pairs of socks. I have new boots this year and want to treat them to a new pair of socks each day.
Can't wait to go now - only two weeks left until we arrive in Arcs 2000? Am going to take all your thoughts on board and start the packing process tomorrow. My bag is going to be lighter - I am determined!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nah, johnE, just rinse out the fresh sweat.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
temitchell wrote:
scorpio21, she is also particularly adept at washing machine use and has cleaned it all beyond recognition and as extra punishment has banned me from spending any more money on gear!!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What do women normally wear in the bars etc? Im not assuming high heels etc wink but I will be on a group holiday and going out! Men have it so easy...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Most of what I don't wear is usually "extra" layers as I am yet to experience cold weather skiing and have quite a cheap jacket. 1 fleece ends up carried around in OH's backpack all week, remainder unworn. Happy to wash thermals/ski socks overnight if worn. Always take at least 1 pair of spare jeans as am far more likely to wear food if I don't have spares... Or sit unexpected in the street and jeans don't dry well after washing!

My most "expensive" mistake was to take only 1 (of 2) pairs of ski trousers as I split them falling on the first day and had to buy replacements, but given luggage weight restrictions, perhaps I can accept the necessity..
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHeads larenka

Something comfortable and warm! Most of the women I know wear jeans, T shirt, sweater / fleece and ski jacket. (The latter obviously not in the bar.)
snow conditions
No wonder I always get stressed about the weight limit on ski holidays. I try and pack about 3X as many clothes as everyone else here!

So far my suitcase for 1 week skiing is filled with:

5X ski socks (plus extra pair in my boot bag with my boots)
3X thick baselayers
3X thin baselayers
3X fleeces
4X thermal leggings
2X salopettes
1X jacket (I'll wear another one on the flight)
4X sports bras
2X ski gloves

Plus all my regular underwear, pyjamas, several different outfits for the evenings and about a million travel sized shower gels, body lotion, sunscreen, first aid kit, make up, helmet, assorted hats, scarves, buff, wool gloves and other last minute 'I forgot I had those' type items.

I haven't weighed my suitcase as I can hardly lift it! I think some editing is required before my flight on Saturday!
ski holidays
I moved to merino but considering going back to capeline or lifa.

Pros:

It doesn't smell as bad as a standard base layer

Cons:

I find merino expensive, delicate (I have multiple holes in the 2 base layers and the t-shirt I own), heavy for it's warmth and slow to dry. For any activity where you sweat (climbing, ski touring), it's a bit rubbish in my experience.

All my merino stuff is icebreaker so I've considered a brand change but have decided it's just too expensive. Smelly Hellys for me I think!
ski holidays
I never get why some anyone stresses over what to take and tries to reduce luggage to a minimum! If you get 20kg allowance, take whatever ever you want up to 20kg - job done! And if your not strong enough to carry your bag get one with wheels. Very Happy
latest report
Mine is pretty simple... 2x microfleeces, 2x Helly Lifas, 2x thermal bottoms, 3x pairs ski socks, 7x boxers, normal socks, salopettes (gonna wear jacket), hoody, couple long sleeve T's for nights out, ski boots, helmet, goggles, penknife, small rucksack.

2x fleeces and sallopettes are currently in my bag with my skis, hopefully that will be OK.

Also 38 cereal bars (lol) and a bottle of vodka, grand total weight of about 16kg for suitcase and 8.5kg for ski bag. Easy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy