Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile - any local knowledge to share please?

Poster: A snowHead
Ahead of our departure Sun 8th Jan, all local knowledge will be gratefully received, including about La Rosiere just over the mountain where our lift passes are also valid, I believe.

Many thanks.

Phil
Shrewsbury
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In La Thuile, when you get the large cable car up the mountain ( there is only one ) The restaurant at the top is one of the cheapest to eat and drink at. Last year a carafe of red wine was around 5 euro !!!!

We stayed in La Ros, so cannot tell you too much about La Thuile, other than the above and that the runs through the pine trees from La Ros into La Thuile were lovely.

Going to La Ros on 28th Jan
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

I stayed many years ago now but loved the place. La Fordze (www.ristorantelafordze.com) was a great place to eat full of the locals with a great atmosphere and the food was fantastic. It's adviseable to book. It's deffo cheaper eating/drinking on the Italian side. Your lift pass covers you for a day in Pila and Courmayeur if memory serves correctly.

Ski in the morning over to the French side as they get the sun then after midday head back over to the Italian side.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Going for the 3rd year in a row to La Ros (still learning...). Last year the French instructor (nice lady) took us to Italy on our last lesson. The fog was so thick that visibility was no better than 10m. I thought that if I fell in one of the drag lifts on the way to Italy (there are 2 very long ones) I would die, as I could not see a thing in front of me. Once in the Italian side it was a clear blue sky, fantastic. The runs are nice (although we did not stay there for long).

Over in la Ros, it is very nice (for beginners I guess) as there are loads of very wide pistes, however lots of drag lifts which sometimes is a pain. Taking OH so she can build confidence while taking lessons. It is not too expensive - we usually have a bow of soup/panini on the slopes. We usually stay in chalet with food included. One of the nights we get a pizza and enjoy the village.

5 more sleeps for me as I am heading this Sunday Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd get your legs going for black 3, lovely resort, with La Ros enough for a week and one can progress from green to black. La T charming I can recommend the gelato shop in village, has bar, coffee lovely.

The pylons change colour to tell which country you are in; in bad light/snow this can be a godsend.

Courmayeur is different with mostly red steepness and if intermediate well worth visiting.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La Thuile ..................LOVE IT!!!

Great place for a few days skiing.
Piste No 2 "Dirretta" is a damn brilliant cruising black! (Prolly a diff red really)
Great pizzas in the restaurant half way down Piste 17 - "cerrellaz", and if you like your wine try the Amarone on their wine list. Have a late, and long lunch here, then zoom back across to La Ros.
There's some lovely OP (rather inter-piste-that's-not-diff) opportunities from Belvedere and Fourclaz, and if you're in a mixed ability group the red(-ish) run No 7 "San Bernardo" is quite long and mild ino La Thuile.

Enjoy the place, especially La thuile skiing! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Rascard restaurant - on the rt of the village if looking up the mountain. Mmmmmmmm
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've only been in the summer - on two day trips from Cham but can heartily recommend the Gelato if it's the one next to the bridge Cynic is referring to.

Drove over to La Ros and have to say it was further than I expected so it must be a decent ski across?

I expect the drive up from Courmayeur will be fun on the transfer bus too Very Happy if that's the way it goes.... wink

I've put the area down as a definitely maybe for the future in winter time....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good coffee and pizza at the cafe in the center of the main bowl (top of the blue runs) and good salads and cold meat platters at the noisey bar under the top of the chair up from the village (don't let the music put you off). Food and coffee on the italian side is good and well priced everywhere though; The LaRos side not as good though.

All the reds are great for cruising especially no8 (?) on the far left looking down the mountain but SanBarnard can be flat in places near the top. Blacks are steep and icy especially the north facing ones and great fun if, like me, you like that.

Make sure you wrap up well before getting on the drag lift back from LaRos'; It's long and cold. Don't fall off it in the middle (esp on a board) as it's a long flat trek back to the start. I prefer to get off at the end of the first one and go left into the valley and chairs from there, rather than take the second drag; unless the suns over the mountain when it can be quite nice.

Courmayer is worth a day trip and the bus is free with a ski pass. Check the times though as I think there were just 2 each way in the morning and again late afternoon when I used them 2 seasons ago.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't recall the name of the resto/bar, but think it was at the foot of the Fourclaz Express chair lift. Best hot chocolate + rum I've had. Also adjacent to possibly the cleanest WC I've seen anywhere. Perhaps someone recalls the name. Well worth a stop IMO.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur, you've reminded my of another tip - BOMBARDINO (in case you don't know Phil Chris, it's a sort of hot egg nog).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Freddie Paellahead, ahhh, reminds me of a trip to Sauze D'Oulx years ago. Great tipple, knocked a couple back before the last run down in a blizzard one afternoon as I recall - epic! The mountain bar was like an old Morcambe and Wise scene with the snow blowing in everytime someone opened the door! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Went there in summer - stood in dog crap and the public toilets were stinking. That's about it really. Hope that helps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went in 2010. Not sure I'd rush back there. I enjoyed it but the ski area is a bit strung out and has lots of flat bits. The long journey to La Rosière and back is probably only worth doing on one day. The pistes are busier, less well prepared and quite samey over there. The skiing is better on the Italian side, as are the mountain huts. Blacks 2, 3 and 5 were pretty good as I remember and the reds and blacks over on the San Bernardo side were good too. Just avoid red 7, it's about a hundred miles long and tediously flat. It's a very empty resort, even at full hotel capacity, there's enough terrain to avoid bottlenecks and queues. It's very laid back and Italian and the village is pretty but small with not very much going on. The Planibel complex is conveniently situated but a soulless place better suited to a purpose-build French resort. The hotels in the village centre are much nicer but a good 20 minute walk (or 5 minute bus ride) to the lifts. The snow was fantastic when I was there but it can get very cold and windy up at the top. Enjoy!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
guv001, to be fair that's a description of all of Italy, not just La Thuile.
snow report
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
La Rascard restaurant - on the rt of the village if looking up the mountain. Mmmmmmmm

+1
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Freddie Paellahead wrote:

+1

Terrible. And nearly always shut.

(I think it has changed management a few times, so different people seem to have differing opinions about this place depending on which year they went)

La Bricole is better.

(I went in 2008)
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
I went in 2010. Not sure I'd rush back there. I enjoyed it but the ski area is a bit strung out and has lots of flat bits. The long journey to La Rosière and back is probably only worth doing on one day. The pistes are busier, less well prepared and quite samey over there. The skiing is better on the Italian side, as are the mountain huts. Blacks 2, 3 and 5 were pretty good as I remember and the reds and blacks over on the San Bernardo side were good too. Just avoid red 7, it's about a hundred miles long and tediously flat. It's a very empty resort, even at full hotel capacity, there's enough terrain to avoid bottlenecks and queues. It's very laid back and Italian and the village is pretty but small with not very much going on. The Planibel complex is conveniently situated but a soulless place better suited to a purpose-build French resort. The hotels in the village centre are much nicer but a good 20 minute walk (or 5 minute bus ride) to the lifts. The snow was fantastic when I was there but it can get very cold and windy up at the top. Enjoy!

This is spot on as well. I would only add that Red 6 down to the town is good, and that the Fontaine Froid on the La Ros side is a 'must do' piste in the area.
latest report
paulio, I have to admit that my "data" is from 2007.
snow report
Would agree with the comments about the tows back from France wrap up warm, take an ipod, and remember and hold on to the tow as it goes down the mountain as well as up it...

In terms of places to eat on the mountain, Le Foyer (up the Chalet Express take the second left and you will come down to it). Good pizza and sandwiches upstairs, excellent pastas and salads downstairs. Excellent hot chocolate. Downside toilets not so good. Maisson Carrel is very nice bit more pricey but really good food. You can pretty much eat in any of the mountain restaurants they are all reasonable but the above two are our favourites.

Apres wise , La Buvette is good to sit and watch the world go by if it’s a nice day, right next to the base of the gondola or La Cremerie is also in this general area excellent ice cream and also cakes. Angela's cafe is good for cocktails down in the old town.

BUT if you go to one place and do one thing then go to Chocolat (on the upper bridge over the river) and have the Chocolate Fondue or the cakes or any of the chocolates

Restaurants in the town La Fordze good for everything, La Raclette good for pizzas, Le Rascard good pizzas and sea food, Brasserie du Bathieu good pasta dishes and excellent crepes (cheap too). There is also a steak house which was really good but I can’t remember what is called.
ski holidays
+1 for Bombardino's. Red 6 and 7 long cruisy runs but flat in places, preferred the eaterie on 6, can't remember the name because of the bombardino's! Slippers while you eat nice touch, squat toilets tho. The steak restaurant in the planibel complex was good value and actually 2 steaks between 3 adults was plenty! French side warmer, Italian side better snow. 1 day each at Pila and Courmayeur covered on lift pass, serviced by bus and both worth a day out.
Had a real good weeks holiday but in no rush to return, because the planibel complex seems to be the main focus it seemed quite souless but if you go away to spend time with other Brits rather than interacting with the locals then you will have a great time. Have fun x
snow conditions
What a helpful bunch you are. Thanks to one and all.

I'm now even more excited than yesterday about next week's adventure.

Regards.

Phil
snow report
Quote:

There is also a steak house which was really good but I can’t remember what is called.

Its 'La Maison du Steak'! Very Happy
snow conditions
I'd also recommend a day trip to Courmayeur.

You may find there's a day's skiing there included in a 6 day La Thuile pass. Courmayeur is well worth the effort, and you may just wished you'd gone there instead. Skullie
snow report
In descending order of how good they are:

Pila
La Thuile
Courmayeur
snow report
My overriding memories from La Thuile (2009) are LONG FLAT TRAVERSES which were a killer for a beginner snowboarder. Nightmare. However it was also one of the best ski trips I did as we were with school, in the Planibel apartments which were decent compared to other school ski trip accommodation, and we had crazy Italian instructor and about a meter of fresh powder. The instructor took no notice of my novice ability (learnt on dry slope before we went out so wasn't a total beginner) and took us hiking around cliffs and stuff to get some amazing of piste. Obviously I spent most of the holiday doing about 3 lovely floaty powder turns then falling and having a 20 min hike out through deep powder while the boys in the group waited not-so patiently.

The drag lift back to La Thuile from La R is long and a little flat/downhill in places so be prepared for that (I’ve never been on a downhill drag before!).

The restaurant at the top of the main cable car was cheap and cheerful, with deckchairs outside to soak of the rays.

Have a good trip!
snow conditions
I have been to La Thuile twice (got engaged there last year)

There is a wee pizza place just opposite the side entrance to Hotel Plannibel, fantastic pizza and not a bad price.

Black 3 is great fun. I agree with Kat.ryb there are a few flat bits that snowboards get stuck at (generally the first time, next you know to carry enough speed)

Beautiful scenery and never found a busy tow!

A day trip to courmayeur is worth it!
snow report
Me and my fiancee are going to la thuile in february but booked our own flights. Does anyone have any advice for getting up to the resort from the airport? Is there public transport torely on or should we arrange our own and how!?

Cheers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pele wrote:
Me and my fiancee are going to la thuile in february but booked our own flights. Does anyone have any advice for getting up to the resort from the airport? Is there public transport torely on or should we arrange our own and how!?

Cheers.

Where are you flying in to?
ski holidays
The cafe next to the gondola base station - Truly awful.
latest report
La Rosiere is linked with La Thuile to form a 140km piste domain. La Thuile is marginally larger than La Rosiere according to my impression as I have accessed this domain from either ends and in both winter and summer.

The No 7 red run from the top to the bottom of La Thuile at 11km is one of the longest runs in the Alps. The piste actually forms by using part of the Petit St Bernard Pass which is closed in the winter. Yes there are some flat spots along this run but no more than other famous runs like the Hidden Valley of Dolomites. In summer the Petit St Bernard Pass is quite busy and a haven for motorcycling.

I think skier going to La Thuile should enjoying the the few rare European resorts that straddling two countries. If you cannot tell the difference between the signs on the French piste from the Italian piste while skiing there then it is a waste of time for you.

I personally rate La Thuile/La Rosiere more enjoyable than the 100km domain of Courmayeur which can have queue problems both at the base station as well as for the cable car to reach its highest point.

The only negative experience I have La Thuile is if you are returning to the French side at the end of the day you could find the chairlift long, exposed, windy, cold and take ages to get there. My own experience would suggest the snow on the Italian side slightly better but that should depend on the weather of the year. I like to lunch on the Italian side too but in general there is not much wrong with this French/Italian resort. The bottom end of La Rosiere, at 1176m at he Ecudets chairlift, is rare to have adequate cover to ski the full length. The Italian side has the base station higher located at 1441m and I have been able to ski to the bottom in every visit.
ski holidays
saikee, The old Belverdere chair was long, slow and very cold but it's not there now, it was replaced a few years back by a new chair lift in a more sheltered location, a much quicker and more pleasant experience.
latest report
Night life was a bit lacking(I was 21 when I went there) but it's a lovely wee village and the skiing was excellent.
snow conditions
Timbobaggins wrote:
In La Thuile, when you get the large cable car up the mountain ( there is only one ) The restaurant at the top is one of the cheapest to eat and drink at. Last year a carafe of red wine was around 5 euro !!!!

We stayed in La Ros, so cannot tell you too much about La Thuile, other than the above and that the runs through the pine trees from La Ros into La Thuile were lovely.

Going to La Ros on 28th Jan

Also going to La Ros on 28th Jan for the first time. Four of us of mixed ability from intermediate to advanced. Staying in Les Eucherts. Sounds like a lot of differnet stuff to try. Any tips for La Ros- eating drinking etc?
Cheers
snow report
krisw123, Le Petite Danois http://www.lepetitdanois-larosiere.com/ has never let us down for grub or beer. In the main town virtually opposite the Tourist info office, upstairs in the little shopping centre
snow conditions
pele wrote:

Cheers.

There are transfer coaches available from both Milan and Turin to the Aosta valley. I'd get the train though. Cheap and efficient. Book through www.trenitalia. Turin train direct to Aosta then the single line (get ticket in Aosta) up the valley that terminates at the bottom of the hill to LaThuile. The ski bus runs from there to either laT or Courmayer for a couple of euros. Milan has 3 changes on the route plus the transfer coach into the city from the airport (no need to pre book, just follow the signs and pay at the door). When I got stuck at Milan with a hire car cock-up we got from Milan to Courmayer with a 7am start and were on the slopes by 1pm... and it cost 12euro each.
snow report
Silly question maybe but Do any of the mountain restaurants have Wifi ? ( To keep a part time skier busy whilst the rest of the family shred the slopes)
snow report
adithorp wrote:
pele wrote:

Cheers.

There are transfer coaches available from both Milan and Turin to the Aosta valley. I'd get the train though. Cheap and efficient. Book through www.trenitalia. Turin train direct to Aosta then the single line (get ticket in Aosta) up the valley that terminates at the bottom of the hill to LaThuile. The ski bus runs from there to either laT or Courmayer for a couple of euros. Milan has 3 changes on the route plus the transfer coach into the city from the airport (no need to pre book, just follow the signs and pay at the door). When I got stuck at Milan with a hire car cock-up we got from Milan to Courmayer with a 7am start and were on the slopes by 1pm... and it cost 12euro each.

Thanks I am flying to Turin so will lok in to Trenitalia
snow conditions
Chasseur wrote:
I can't recall the name of the resto/bar, but think it was at the foot of the Fourclaz Express chair lift. Best hot chocolate + rum I've had. Also adjacent to possibly the cleanest WC I've seen anywhere. Perhaps someone recalls the name. Well worth a stop IMO.

The restaurant near the bottom of the Piccolo San Bernard Express also has fantastic hot chocolate - I recommend a shot of Calvados in it snowHead Toilets here are a little more primative though ( footprints ) rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

I can't recall the name of the resto/bar, but think it was at the foot of the Fourclaz Express chair lift. Best hot chocolate + rum I've had

It is called Roxy's and 13 months ago we had a horrid and VERY expensive hoy choc in there. Imcredibly rich, VERY thick with a horrid aftertaste. We were shocked and wont be using Roxy's again as it seemd rather pricey.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy