Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

L2A tips for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have put a couple of posts on here for a trip I have booked in February and your responses have been really helpful so now I have managed to buy all the gear I think I need without breaking the bank I was hoping for some tips on where is best to ski in this resort for beginners.

We will have lessons in the morning but if we want to go off on our own in the afternoon where can we try that will provide the best views but will not be beyond a beginners skills? We have had a couple of lessons at a snowdome so far so we are hoping we may be able to do some skiing before the end on the week Laughing and just want to make sure we don't miss a must see part of the resort Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Appletot, The learner slopes are at resort level. Next step up is to Les Cretes at 2100m where there is green and blue run. I wouldn't try to ski back to resort though, there is a green but it's narrow and crowded. After that I guess it depends how you progress. It's well worth going to the top of the glacier though, 2 legs of Jandri Express plus funicular, the views are fantastic and there's an ice grotto too. There are also restaurants at Cretes, Diable, Toura and the Glacier which you can access by foot if necessary.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 2-01-12 23:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Appletot, the bit across the road from the main ski area is really quiet and worth checking out - can't recall the name but it faces the sun more
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, Pied Moutet, not particularly easy slopes though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, no? ah perhaps you're right. There was a blue I recall being quite awkward near town on the main side - petite Aigulle perhaps?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, not for a first weeker I don't think, I agree though I like escaping over there at times.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27, Vallee Blanche, and we don't recommend it to beginners. It's also shaded in the afternoon.

Appletot, the glacier. Then follow the Glacier blue runs back to midstation - ie the ones to the right of the Telesiege des Glaciers as you look down hill from the top. Your (more obvious) alternative is the Jandri (also blue) to the left of the restaurant, but your beginners probably won't like it much.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take a piste map to your instructor and ask him/her to suggest what he thinks you are capable of at the end of your coaching session. LDA is one of those resorts where you realise that all blues are not the same (thinking in particular of one that heads down to top of red bubble).
Second the don't bother with green back to resort - will just tire your legs... Much better to bubble down and do a few neaky extra buttons in the resort!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, Colin B, you know what, I think I'm getting L2A mixed up with Montgenevre... It was our 3rd week and many moons ago, but looking at the map I think it was the Le Chalvet area of MGV that I'm thinking of.

L2A was the following year and I recall our glamourous ski instructress taking us down a red called 'sapins' on the main slopes above town in thick unpisted 'pow' and it being something of a challenge

Heigh ho - I can hear a few yawns so perhaps that's enough from On Golden Piste
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As above really, there are lots of good easy greens at resort level. When you start to gain a bit of confidence either try out the Crete area or the glacier (taking the Jandri Express gondola to the top).

Have fun. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27, Sapins (now Oeufs Blancs) is an unpisted black run.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, right, ta, that would explain it. Perhaps we annoyed her? Little Angel
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can recommend Signal... lovely beginners runs right near the glacier but a bit more sheltered if blowing up a bit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Signal 1 is a lovely wide blue run at the top of the Jandri Express 2 (you'll spot this once you have a copy of the piste map). It's a lovely wide bowl-like blue. I took some friends up there in March, they were skiing their first week, and they loved it. I think because it's so wide and there's plenty of run-off they felt it boosted their confidence. Can be a little bumpy sometimes though. The Jandri 5 run at the very top isn't bad either, again quite wide, but can be quite busy and you need a burst of speed as you get near the bottom to propel yourself up towards the restaurant/gondola. Glacier 1 is also nice, if a little long for a beginner, and again quite busy, but should be more than achievable once you've found your feet.

katedenhaag, think the one you mean is the Super Diable blue run, I personally don't like that one either. If you drop down to the right once you get off the red eggs, it's really icy in the morning, and as that side seems quite shaded, the piste itself seems to stay icy all day!! I avoid that one if I can!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Appletot, strongly agree with the recommendation to get right up to the glacier (assuming it's not brass monkey weather). "Glacier" sounds intimidating, but there are some unproblematical runs (check with your instructor if it's early in the week) and it's a great feeling being right up on top of the world. But absolutely don't try to ski right down to resort.
latest report
snowhouse, jocrad, I had a complete mare on Signal just yesterday: http://www.2alpesnet.com/reports/snow/the-powder-bites-back-:-3rd-january-2012.html

Probably not its fault though, to be fair. Laughing
snow conditions
Fee 1 did it for me the other year - think it was still called Gours then, to the point I took my skis off and walked part of it. Went back the day after, not a problem - must have just been having an off day!!

Funnily enough, I read the report on 2alpesnet - didn't know that was you Lizzard !!
ski holidays
jocrad, agreed. Singal 1 and Jandri 5 are both good choices. Get up the top Appletot! Very Happy
ski holidays
Feast, jocrad, Lizzard, pam w, snowhouse, red 27, katedenhaag, Colin B,
Thank you all I am looking forward to getting there and getting to see the glacier
snow report
Glad to help, counting down to 28 jan when we head out now - snow forecast for this week looks awesome again! Have a great time Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy