Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cars that skis will fit in!

Poster: A snowHead
We're organising our hire car and want to avoid hiring a ski rack. I don't own any of the of the cars on the hire car sites. So, given that there are 3 of us going skiing with one snowboard wheeled bag, a set of skis, two sets of boots plus luggage and beer, would any of the following cars fit everything/body comfortably?

1. Ford Focus
2. Volkswagen Golf
3. Opel Astra

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All of the above in an estate version might .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All 3 borderline, I guess. Certainly a squeeze with 3.

I have a Seat Leon Mk1 (effectively same as Golf) and my 181cm skis only just fit in diagonally, with split fold down (the 2 seat part). And then only with tips in LH rear corner, and tails wedged between the flipped up seat bottom and the RH rear passenger door. Might be able to get them down the middle (might investigate that this weekend).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick-o, Stick all the skis etc in the front passenger seat/well area and put the passengers in the back seats.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simples:

http://www.handiworld.com/HandiRack

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 2-01-12 21:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick-o, The Astra (estate)worked for me last year , 180cm ski bag + luggage and three skiers , it had a spilt rear seat , a must !!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shocked we have a twingo and fit 3 of us plus a board and 2 sets of skis regularly . . .although you do have to be willing to slot them through to the front seats!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've hired both the Focus and the Golf. Split folding back seat are absolutely essential for any chance of fitting the skis and boards. Even then, it depends on the length of the skis, as mentioned by others.

Once the skis fit. The rest should be easy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
deerman, what length of skis will fit? I hav no idea really but would've thought only board or short skis would fit Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick-o, having been sent on many airport staff pickups by HR monkeys with not enough room in their tiny brains for the idea that staff working in resort might bring ski/board gear with them, I would say not. Certainly not comfortably, at any rate. The estate versions will, though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BMW X5 up to 160 pre 06 180 post
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick-o, one problem you could encounter is that having done your research and reserved the right car, you won't get it. Happened to us once, where the problem was a collapsible wheelchair, which would have gone in the car we'd ordered, with a split back seat..... exceptionally annoying. Eventually got it in, but everyone was uncomfortable as a result. Would hiring a rack be so terrible? If you plan to actually use the car to travel to ski, it's much better not to have wet and possibly muddy gear in the car with you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

where the problem was a collapsible wheelchair,

They have wheels - surely a tow rope would have sorted that out Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
had 2 of us with skis, boots and luggage in a toyota yaris from Barcelona airport to Andorra several years back so can't see any reason why you wouldn't get it into any of them to be honest...just need to be creative with the loading and wouldnt probably rank as the most comfortable trip i'm sure but do-able non the less snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We got 3 adults an 8 yo, a 165 snowboard bag some all mountain skis and poles plus luggage from Inverness to Avimore in a focus a couple years back. Wasn't too much of a squeeze.
snow report
3 people in a golf-sized hatchback or estate should be OK. Don't think for a minute that a car hire company will have the car you ask for anyway... Happy You should get a a car in the class you ask for, but if you request a golf you could easily get a focus or similar instead. If you end up with a saloon (unlikely I think), then you may need to put skis on the front passenger seat (tip the seat back and feed them in through the back window) and out 2 people in the back - this is actually works quite well so you could consider it in a hatchback if you find it hard to get skis in the back.

We've booked an estate for 4 of us... I suspect that isn't going to be a comfortable trip unless we go for ski racks. I don't trust those magnetic ones, but having said that they haven't failed me yet and I've used them a few times.
ski holidays
Tried it in a Golf and yes they did fit.... but not overly safely so sold the car!

Now use an A6 and have no problems.
latest report
Ford Focus for 2 people was fine with skis up to 210cm (cross-country), you can get an idea here of how squashed it was:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/27073_353906641330_626371330_4108410_4604073_n.jpg

Bear in mind that that picture doesn't include all our other stuff like clothes, and is missing at least one pair of skis, since they were in the shop getting tele bindings put on em!

Basically if your 3rd person isn't too claustrophobic and you don't mind driving without a rear view mirror, it'll probably work OK!

Disclaimer: I remember this car being a Ford Focus but it may not be exactly that.
snow report
I have an Audi A3 - basically a Golf under a different guise and I really struggle to fit more than two people plus skis! To be fair, I'm tall and my longest skis are 188cm... So I'd be careful of the Golf if I were you.
ski holidays
ap96, you've got loads of room in there - it's just not stacked properly!
snow report
I've had 2 snowboards, a pair of 190 skis and luggage for 3 for a weekend in my Polo so if you can't get kit in those you're not trying hard enough Wink
snow conditions
A Skoda Octavia Estate has special slot in the rear esp. designed for skis (you can use it for other things, but it's designed for skis! and you can even get a special bag to protect them when they are packed using it.
latest report
I am in the process of booking a hire car for 4 adults for late Jan. Is it not easier simply to book a small car and a ski rack as an add-on (20 euros or so) unless ski racks only allow 1-2 sets of skis?
ski holidays
From what I've seen, most hire racks are not even as robust as these from Bartletts:

They normally only support up to 2 pairs of skis OR 1 snowboard. And don't even bother to try to hire two pairs of racks - in my experience you are unlikely to get them. That's why I've given up and bought a Handirack.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 3-01-12 14:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The ski rack has the added advantage of no dirty/wet skis in car. However you would not leave un-attended
snow conditions
When I had my mk3 golf we had 3 people plus luggage, pus boots and three pairs of skis in it relatively easily for a 4 hr drive to Gatwick. That was when I was using old Superforce skis just over 2m long Madeye-Smiley you just have to finger out how to pack it all in Toofy Grin
snow report
Don't know about those listed but kit for me and 3 kids (7, 12 and 16) fit in my Saab 93 estate.
snow conditions
Quote:

The ski rack has the added advantage of no dirty/wet skis in car.

but the disadvantage of increasing fuel consumption.... Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy