Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ISCHGL - 2012/2013 season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone could chip in please. I am looking to go to Ischgl early season, around 8th/10th December, with 4-6 other people. We are trying to do it on a budget of around £1000 per person for everything. We will expect to self-cater and won't be going out for many meals.

The group is made up of me, experienced skier (45 weeks), my girlfriend, intermediate (around 12 weeks) and a few total beginners. (and perhaps one other intermediate-advanced)

Anyone have any experience of this resort on a budget? Is it realistic? And is it likely that we would be able to secure any accommodation this far in advance?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ben
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did Ischgl on a budget, stayed at Haus Schneider aoartments in Mathon in early December and it was spot on, it is a couple of miles out of Ischgl but easy to do on a bus or in taxis which if lots of you are sharing would keep the cost down. I think if you want to do Ischgl on a budget you will struggle with finding central accommodation. Also a word of warning we took a beginner to Ischgl and he found it a bit on the difficult side, the red run back down to the town is quite tricky for beginners, they can ride down on the gondola but this is not ideal.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We did Ischgl in 2008 by staying in Mathon which is 3 miles from Ischgl (out of the valley) and 3 miles from Galtur ( into the valley). We had our car so it was ideal as we stay in a B&B flat, with self catering facilities, for 25 Euro per person per night. The average ski pass cost per day was 33.6 Euro per head then.

Mathon is a newish development and has a lot of self catering flats and houses purposely built for short stays. The other place to stay is Kappl which is 5 to 6 miles (out of the valley direction) from Ischgl but it is more of hotel and pension accommodation types.

Even we didn't use it we noticed the bus link was very good because the chairlift stations for every resort of this valley (See (33km piste) Kappl(40km piste), Ischgl(235 km piste) and Galtur(40km piste)) is next to the main road. See is a small resort 10 miles (out of the valley) from Ischgl. The 4 days or more ski pass entitles the holder to ski all the resorts in the valley.

In 2008 we went for two weeks. The first week was in Zillertal valley. The cost of was £2413 for two of us driving own car or £604/person/week all in. We ate at a restauranmt every night. Ischgl is an expensive resorts because most hotels are 4 and 5 star but dining out isn't bad at all because plenty of choices. You should have no problem with £1000/head/week doing self catering. Early booking is recommended as Mathon is popular. Shopping is best done in Ischgl as Mathon is very small and mainly residential.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Iscghl three times, including once at half term week, and I think I've done each one for under £1000. Ischgl remains my favourite resort in the world, and it doesn't need to be that expensive.

Last time we went we stayed here:
http://www.valuella.at/

Which is a 4* (although perhaps more like a nice 3* than a 4*). In December prices are 54 (£45) Euro per person per night (based upon 2 sharing). This is on a B&B basis. It's pretty central (~3 min walk to gondola and half of that on travelator in dorftunnel, in middle of town, can ski back to within about 100m)

Ski Classic Ski Pass (with guest card which hotel will provide) is 186 Euro.

So that gives:
Ski Pass: £155
Hotel (4*, B&B basis, 2 sharing): £315
Eating out every night: £20x7 = £140
Flight/transfer budget: £140
(I did it for less then that with a group of 8 at HT week, by flying German Wings to Stuttgart, and hiring a minibus taxi)

Which is £750 - leaving £250 for lunch/beer money in your budget.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for this guys, great input. Wow, kamikaze sounds like you did well there. Although airport transfer and equipment hire are also needed for us and some lessons probably for the beginners. Might well look into that B and B, how is their English and do you know how far in advance they accept bookings?

Thanks again
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Their English was fine. We were able to book in English over email and ring them to let them know we would be late due to traffic.

I had included some budget for transfers. Last time we did it we found
Munich flights were cheapest. There are various transfer options from hire cars, minibus taxis and
scheduled busses. The best option will prpb depend on the final size of your group.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kaiser846 wrote:
. Also a word of warning we took a beginner to Ischgl and he found it a bit on the difficult side, the red run back down to the town is quite tricky for beginners, they can ride down on the gondola but this is not ideal.

Something of an understatement I would say! The reds back to town are really lovely runs, but with some quite steep sections and of course they busy at home time. Beginners like those in the OPs party will defo need to downride the bubble or funitel.

Ischgl is also my fave resort in a lot of ways - but perhaps let the newbs get a few miles under their planks elsewhere and then come back when they can appreciate it?

in-resort nursery slopes and free drag lifts are always good for total beginners as it saves them €€€ on the lift pass

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 1-01-12 23:33; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I often see people saying runs back to resort are tough for beginners but don't see why it's a problem to take a bubble down, as long as there are some blue runs/nursery slopes on the mountain? There will be three or so beginners so they can stick together and meet up later with the rest of us.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

don't see why it's a problem to take a bubble down, as long as there are some blue runs/nursery slopes on the mountain?

I entirely agree. some people make a ridiculous fuss about it - you see them hobbling painfully down difficult, icy, crowded, pistes at the end of the day., I call that daft. wink I have no problem taking a gondola down at the end of a great skiing day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As others have said getting down on the gondola is no big deal
The run down id a great run most of the day but I normally would avoid after 3pm if i was at the top
If you are at the mid station you may have a bit of a wait at busy times
Sorry cant help with accommodation that you are after
Lots of essays blues to learn on though
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy