Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How stupid can people be?

Poster: A snowHead
Couple of years ago on eth chalet staff day out, me and mrs sev112 and the littlun headed into Kaprun for our meal - mrs sev112 had the euros

Except her brand new ski jacket that week was somebody else's brand new ski jacket that week, and it didnt have our Euros Sad

Rather luckily the otehr lady and her hubby/boy turned up in the same restaurant before we needed to do a runner (of course we wouldnt but you know what i mean)

I'll make sure mrs sev112 puts two layers of blue electric tape around her nice jacket this january just in case it happens again Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Schuss in Boots, thanks for that - still cringe about it all these years later - but it means I am never, ever likely to be harsh about other numpties! If you're tired and hurried, or your brain has gone into holiday mode, you can really make some silly mistakes that would be totally out of character in a normal situation. I guess you're right though - don't be a back bottom once your mistake has become evident!

abc, yes, I did get it back. I got directed towards a big storeroom of lost and unloved bags and told to go find it myself... unsupervised... Confused I don't know if this was because I was so obviously upset about my mistake that it didn't seem likely that I was about to go and loot the place!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We used my burton cable lock to tie up three snowboards in Avoriaz, it broke and we had to get a passing skier to smash it off with his boots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
We used my burton cable lock to tie up three snowboards in Avoriaz, it broke and we had to get a passing skier to smash it off with his boots.

Yep! I heard enough stories of frozen locks I decided I'll take my chance with numties and un-locked skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saw my first person with stolen/taken skis at the top of La Masse, Les Menuires, last week, at 4pm. There were only 6 or 7 skis or boards there, so splitting would not have helped. She worked in resort, but it made me feel less self conscious that I had religiously locked my new skis all week, even when just going for a pee. Like a car, insurance will be refused if stolen whilst unlocked. We used a retractable combo wire lock ( which was puny and not confidence inspiring) and a much thicker Safeman cable lock, which I found really fast to use.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plus one for a cable lock. My boyfriends (hire) snowboard was stolen from Bergers in Alpe D'Huez the week before Christmas. I ordered a cable lock the same evening!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought this one - its quite small, very light weight and wont bother me carried in a jacket pocket.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001PK0E14?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I swear I've read:

Nadenoodlee wrote:
We used my burton cable lock to tie up three snowboarders in Avoriaz, it broke and we had to get a passing skier to smash it off with his boots.

...and I was thinking "that's a bit harsh, what had they done to you? Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A long shot but a tip none the less, which was given to me by a patroller in Canada. If you've had your kit nicked, take a moment and have a scout around the nearby area and behind the lodge/resteraunt etc. for patches of recently disturbed snow, where someones been digging or piling up snow. Thieves don't like to be seen legging it away with skis/boards with alot of people around so may choose to hide the loot nearby, often burying it in the snow, coming back later to recover the goods...
He told me they'd regularly find kit stashed when the thieves hadn't been able to return for it. Worth having a poke around if nothing else.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways, nice tip. However, beware of following a fresh trail behind a lodge and find yourself digging in yellow snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John, ahhh, but that could be the deterrent....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur, "I p!ss on your skis" - A new locals insult to Billys.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is why it's important to stay hydrated in the mountains - Gotta mark your territory... Don't forget your gloves and helmet too...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Had to charge right across the domain and just got the last lift out of 1800 to get us back to 1600 as the light faded.

I love the Chantel lift and skiing back in the near dark. As you arrive at the edge of tack above 1600 to ski down the combettes piste in the dark the view down to Bourg and across to the last rays of light catching Mont Blanc is fantastic.

You have to give credit to Les Arcs for running a connecting lift so late. Before the 30th december it leaves at 17:05 then from New Year's eve 17:20. The lift itself is so slow it is almost dark when you get to the top. It is not even critical since if you miss it then you just get the Navette back. Twice this Christmas I missed the Chantel and had to get the Navette.

John
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cstreat wrote:
Like a car, insurance will be refused if stolen whilst unlocked.

That depends on the specific policy.

The wording on mine (under exclusions) says :
Quote:
Winter sports equipment you have left unattended in a public place unless the claim relates to skis, poles or
snowboards and you have taken all reasonable care to protect them by leaving them in a ski rack between
8am and 6pm.

It doesn't say anything about locking them, or the ski rack needing to be a lockable one.
snow report
The biggest pain I found was reporting the theft of hire skis to the Police in Italy. Hire shop were great, gave me another set as they were insured, but told me I had to get a theft report from the Police to validate the claim. I dutifully attended the local police station a mile walk, stood at the door and explained to the officer in my pigeon phrase book assisted Italian, that my skis had been stolen. "Do you have a suspect? he asked." No." I replied. "Ah," he said a look of victory discernible upon his face, "This is a problem for me, you see, no suspect no crime." Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
alex_heney, I read a policy (can;t remember who with) that said skis must be locked "except when left unattended for the purposes of taking refreshment", which I thought a bit cavalier of the insurance company given when most skis seem to get nicked.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
alex_heney, I read a policy (can;t remember who with) that said skis must be locked "except when left unattended for the purposes of taking refreshment", which I thought a bit cavalier of the insurance company given when most skis seem to get nicked.

from the balcony on the first floor of an apartment block..

I don't believe that much gets stolen (rather than pissedtaken) unless theirs a fairly easy way of getting them away by road..
snow report
bertie bassett, that's sort of what I think. Although in Schladming in December a friend was wagoned of the hill and I had to take his skis down with me. I could have just nicked them, but no one batted an eyelid.
snow conditions
I did say "seem", and most of the reports on here have been from restos
ski holidays
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.213-9558.aspx

Id've knocked the s hit out of BOTH of them, in the car park.
snow conditions
Thanks for the link - bought my lock now.

For the record I would have kicked the living christ out of anybody who even looked at my skis.
ski holidays
Saw on Facebook today that Doorstep skis in PDS had q Custom X, a Sherlock and a Custom Flying V pinched from their customers yesterday Sad

We have two snowbaord locks but as yet have not found them in our unpacking, I think we shall go and buy a new one
latest report
People who ate saying they would do this and that to others are sooooo full of crap rolling eyes
snow conditions
I'd do time for my skis, I swear.

Razz
snow report
My husband had his brand new board nicked from a bar lobby in verbier, where he had locked it. The insurance wouldn't pay up because it wasn't in a ski rack (ie if he had left it outside in the square in a rack they would have paid up).

He was very upset about it. Can't bring himself to shell out for a new one - he uses his very old board again.
latest report
daveyladboy, I always read your name as daveladyboy Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy