Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How stupid can people be?

Poster: A snowHead
red 27 wrote:
Quote:
Resisted the urge to take him outside and give him some physical reinforcement on good manners

Am I the only one who thinks there's something not quite right about all this macho 'hold me back' stuff?

Yeah, he wussed out like a loser.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RobW wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
now if you are on a fixed budget this can be a good idea as you will select, as an example £43.53 and then be only charged that, rather than xx.xx euros, with currency conversions, and charge added on. However the banks are only doing this because it makes them money. Never ever do this, unless you are absolutely on a fixed budget, you will lose out financially.

Your logic fails me. As the £43.53 will in 99.999981274% of cases be a lot worse than xx.xx euros, with currency conversions, and charge added on , surely if you are on a budget the latter is better - i.e cheaper??

(I used to say 100% of cases, but since Hertz in Frankfurt charged me in sterling despite me telling them not to, and then when I complained refunded me about 1/3 of the amount, there are occasions when being charged in sterling means you end up better off.)

with direct currency conversion you will always be worse off as the banks are taking the percentage of rate so i would never, ever suggest doing this, unless..... as an example. You have £500 to spend and no more and you know with 100 percent guarantee that nothing else coming out of the account. If you therefore spend in £'s then you know exactly what you have spent and what you have left.

i would never say do it as it is always in the banks favour but it has some benefits.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobW, I've had a couple of the retractables fail and eventually stumbled upon 8gent = http://mo000119.host.inode.at/flash/IWPopFlash_en.php -hard to find but bullet proof in terms of build and ease of use.

If you have moveable bindings then the alternative is to remove the rear ends over lunch Cool

This previous thread covered locks in more detail: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66452
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Because of this exact reason and also far too many light handed people about I NEVER leave my skis outside where I can't see them. Every holiday I've been on I've heard of at least 1 report of either a board or skis being stolen. You were very lucky this idiot left his skis, it could quite easily of been a missing pair altogether....

I think you also need to take from this not to leave your skis in future. Not everyone who goes skiing think like we do. Always keep them with you or if that's not possible then split them up making it harder for such idiots to take your kit....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Because of this exact reason and also far too many light handed people about I NEVER leave my skis outside where I can't see them. Every holiday I've been on I've heard of at least 1 report of either a board or skis being stolen. You were very lucky this idiot left his skis, it could quite easily of been a missing pair altogether....

I think you also need to take from this not to leave your skis in future. Not everyone who goes skiing think like we do. Always keep them with you or if that's not possible then split them up making it harder for such idiots to take your kit....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crispyapplepie, got the message. Thanks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
red 27 wrote:
Quote:
Resisted the urge to take him outside and give him some physical reinforcement on good manners

Am I the only one who thinks there's something not quite right about all this macho 'hold me back' stuff?

It is funny how people (men, women and children) get extra chippy on ski holidays. So, someone walks off with your skis... (a) it's your own fault (b) it might just be a mistake (still your own fault) and (c) even if it is theft (still your own fault), taking the criminal aside and beating the crap out of him is just further criminal activity (still your fault) and there's always the possibility of getting a conviction for GBH or some such. However, if someone recklessly skis or boards into you I do recommend giving them a good doin'.

What you are missing is the operative 'resisted' - tend to agree that two wrongs will never make a right.
But you are reading this to make your slightly smug point, so I guess you'll have another view from the moral high ground. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Kenvyn, Ah well, if he resisted, then beat the crap out of him. I want to be a magistrate one day.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, Indeed. Thre was an extended thread about some one losing their gloves and chucking around phrases like "I hope they like hospital food", roundly cheered by all an sundry. Over a pair of gloves. Tw@ts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know ive just been passed the 'thicky baton' but this lock thing always puzzles me?

Where do peeps pass the cable through on a pair of skis/bindings to lock said pair of skis?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hedley, somewhere on the heel piece of every kind of binding, there is something to loop a cable through.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Woulnd't it be just as easy to loop a peice of string over the skis? Maybe add a fancy knot to deter the drunk from openning it in their state?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just split the skis by ten yards. Nothing worse than getting a padlock in the nuts in a crash or losing the bloody keys in the Bistro as one Hillman managed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, Looks like the one I use and perfectly good. Its really is amazing how many skis get picked up by "accident" mostly by noobs. I guess its one of the hazards of skiing.
snow report
hedley wrote:
I know ive just been passed the 'thicky baton' but this lock thing always puzzles me?

Where do peeps pass the cable through on a pair of skis/bindings to lock said pair of skis?

With a cable lock, just wrap it around the skis between the toe & heel pieces of the binding. If wrapped tightly enough,. nobody is just going to slip the skis out, and it will stop any "accidents".

No lock will stop a determined thief, so you are only trying to stop opportunists and accidents.
ski holidays
must be a pain to carry around chain and lock...we're piste skiers so dont have back packs...whats the best ski lock option for me?
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, I've got a little combination lock with a retractable chain, like this:
kitenski wrote:
Reckon this would work

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/squire-retractable-cable-bike-lock/
It's small and light and just goes in a pocket. Obviously it would be easily defeated by someone with wire cutters but then so would something a lot more robust. As others have said, it's just to deter opportunistic thieves.

Whilst it's good advice to separate skis, I find it difficult enough to find mine in a crowded place even when they're together - they're rather short (because I am) and larger skis often obscure them. Splitting pairs with a ski buddy is probably the best thing to do, then there's two of you looking for them!
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
must be a pain to carry around chain and lock...we're piste skiers so dont have back packs...whats the best ski lock option for me?

While I do wear a back pack, even on piste (partky for the water pack), I use a small cable bike lock with a combination lock. It fits easily in a pocket.

I tend only to lock them when I am stopping somewhere that can readily be reached without skis (e.g. at the top of a main gondola, or at the base level).
ski holidays
Not just Brits who are twits, a German returned my skis to a hire shop from the boot room of a hotel in Davos. Luckily I knew the shop owner who had sold me the skis, he returned them to the hotel and explained that the German thought they were his hire skis because they were called Salomon rolling eyes
ski holidays
Dypcdiver, Maybe they were closet Zionists? rolling eyes
ski holidays
A few years ago sat having a quick energy drink at bottom of Tortin, Verbier before heading up Mont Fort my OH literally watched a guy walk up, look around all the skis lent up against the racks and then casually walk off towards the bubble with MY brand new Volkls! He was wearing timberland boots, not ski boots and as I yelled he started running (with the skis) and I got him as he was pushing through the crowd to push onto the next lift. He flatly denied he was nicking them and said that he thought they were his......won't repeat what I said but I told the lift attendant as he walked off and he just shrugged his shoulders and said it happens! The tea-leaf was early 20's, an Aussie and it really saddened me at the time, he clearly was nicking to order IMO, my skis at the time I reckon were the best in the bunch stood there, he knew what he was doing.

Now me and the OH use a pair of retractable locks (eBay £6 jobs) and always split the skis and poles up. Only issue was a pair of ski poles nicked overnight from a boot room 2 years ago, the person left me their bent manky Scotts and took my new carbons, b&b hotel said not their problem......now I run the gauntlet to the room with our valuables and make sure I'm super vigilant.

Sad but that's life I guess. rolling eyes
ski holidays
I have a confession. I was once that prime f/w.

Some years ago, I was working in Switzerland and was travelling back and forth from London a fair amount. On one trip my suitcase broke just as I was about to leave so my friend lent me a nice, distinctively-coloured soft holdall as I didn't have time to buy a new suitcase. Got the last flight into Geneva that would allow me to make the last 3 hour train journey of the day up to the mountains if I hurried. Made the first train. Dashed across the platform and made the connection at Montreux onto the second train. At last, I could sit back and relax as I was on the final leg of the journey, so I went to get my book from my friend's distinctive bag (the one that had been easy to spot on the carousel amidst the swarm of identical wheely black suitcases)...
and realised it wasn't my stuff in the bag Puzzled ... Shocked... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I got the first train back to the airport very early the next morning and handed the bag in with a very apologetic card with 50 quid inside, turned around and headed straight back up to the mountains to start work.

I learnt my lesson - I had an awful lot of train time to sit and contemplate how unbelievably stupid I was! Embarassed
snow conditions
I have a Ski Tote retractible lock, probably no longer in buisiness as I have had it for about 20 years. It comes skiing with me every day! It was made in Japan.
ski holidays
This happened to me in Avoriaz last year. Rented the 'Elite' or whatever the top of the range skis in the ski rental place were. A day or two in I was finding it a bit more difficult to clip in to them a but ploughed on. Snow was bad so I spent most of my time on the piste and prob skied the best I ever have as a result. Very happy with myself.

So imagine my disappointment when I head back to the rental place after my last morning's skiing, in a bit of a rush as I had to catch a transfer and a flight, and the lad working there tells me I'm in the wrong place. A couple of double takes and my insisting and he points out that the rental sticker is from a different resort in the Portes du Soleil. He then checks my name and yes, I did walk out of there with a pair of their top of the range skis but the ones I have come back with are not theirs and are positively bottom of the range.

In fairness to him he took them back without protest, but suggested I swap them for less 'poo-poo' ones next time! Initially relieved, I was secretly disappointed that I had skied so 'well' on crap skis.

Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Well, how can people?

I had skis for the longest times. So the first time demo'ed a new pair, I couldn't remember what color is was! It took quiite a long time stareing at rack full of skis to finally found mine. Check the not just the brand and model, but also length and shop sticker to be sure. After paying extra to demo skis, I wanted to be sure I was skiing the ones I intended!

As for luggage on the carosel, I do worry about other people's mistake. But my suitcase are distinct in color (pink;)) so it's quite unlikely to be mistaken. My ski tube, on the other hand, are just like others. So I can only pray other owners are all careful.
snow report
With regards to identifying "your" ski tube, I have used a method I used to use with my climbing gear years ago and wrap a couple of bands of blue electric tape around the handle - feel free to copy but two bands of blue is taken! With regards to locks most cycle shops sell a "cafe" lock - very thin retractable combination cable lock.
snow report
Quote:

I was secretly disappointed that I had skied so 'well' on crap skis.

Fairly common,

Amazing how well some peoples skiing improves when you take them out of their 'must have' super stiff boots and off their 'race' skis and put them on somthing more appropriate to their technique and skill level.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
But my suitcase are distinct in color (pink;)) so it's quite unlikely to be mistaken.

That's exactly the mistake I made, though, thinking that it was such a distinctive bag and that no one else would have one like it! Embarassed With my normal black wheely suitcase, it is tagged so it's identifiable amongst all the identical ones on the carousel.

I was beyond mortified and kept apologising for the hassle I'd caused but the GVA lady was totally unfazed and I got the impression it wasn't quite as uncommon a mistake as you would hope. She reassured me the owner would have the bag couriered to them that same day at least.
ski holidays
I flew into Manchester from Zurich and found that the last skibag on the carousel was similar to mine but without the "Iberia" tags Evil or Very Mad . I went to the lost baggage window and explained that someone had picked up mine by mistake and I expected that this bag belonged to the person who had taken mine. BA phoned me to say that they would be sending a postcard to said person because he was "EX-DIRECTORY" by the following Thursday he phoned me and demanded I return his skis to him before he would release mine!!! Shocked I explained to him that his skis were with BA at Manchester and that I was flying out that weekend and needed my skis, suggesting that he Red Star them from Blackpool to Chester. He refused to do that until he had his skis back. Shocked However once I explained to him that taking someone elses skis and refusing to return them constituted stealing and that I would give him 2 hours to think about it before reporting him to the police. Twisted Evil
I got my skis back by Red Star on the Friday night and flew out the following morning.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 2-01-12 12:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
On my last ski holiday two of us in the chalet had the same model of skis and from the same hire shop. I put some sticky tape on the top sheets of my skis. We had no problems with ski identification after that.
ski holidays
RobW wrote:
skid & slide, I use a basic cable combination lock, and quite a few ski friends do too: I've not actually had to lock my skis this last week or so as they've done it for me!

I've got at least three locks, most something like this: http://www.lockwoods.com/skis-ski-equipment/ski-maintenance-preparation-tools/dakine-micro-lock/prod_4115.html (but generic ones are available far cheaper..)

Okay, it's not going to stop a determined thief, but as the OP has demonstrated, most loss of skis is by incompetence rather than malice.

That's my thoughts as well. Would you leave your iPad lying on the restaurant table whilst you went off to do a couple of runs and expect it still to be there later?
We spend hours deliberating which skis suit us best, spend several hundreds of pounds on them, then dump them outside, out of sight and get upset when we find some drunken idiot has wandered off with them. A simple lock won't prevent a determined thief, but should stop the pillock who can recognise what he was wearing an hour ago. Mind though, so of them may just think they'd lost the key.
snow conditions
Quote:
resisted the urge to take him outside

yeah yeah, course you did. You coulda took him easily rolling eyes
ski holidays
I've never considered using a lock until reading this and similar threads. Me and mates normally place our skis a little bit away from the bulk at restaurants etc and never had a problem. However I have just bought a retractable lock to prevent such mishaps occurring. It would be such an inconvenience to have skis swiped or just mistakenly removed when I'm with wife and kids. I would find having to get back for last lift like the OP too stressful.

Definitely agree it wouldn't stop a pucker thief but will undoubtedly restrict the chance of a numpty picking up wrong skis.

As for the questions of would you leave your car unlocked or valuables lying around I guess that depends where you are. I personally wouldn't do so in London but do all the time living in rural Devon and wouldnt ever expect it to be stolen. I have always thought of skiing as a pastime/way of life which doesn't attract villains but of course thats probably rather naive
latest report
This thread reminds of the type of debate we have with friends about the merits of wearing helmets. When you ask whether they would be out on the bike, either mountain or road, without a helmet they wouldn't think twice don't think the same about skiing - 40 -50 MPH within a few feet of the trees or solid tarmac/ice for both activities, personally I can't see the difference. It is the same with locks. Would never dream of leaving several grands worth of bikes unlocked outside the cafe unattended/unlocked, so why do the same with your skis with the added problem of how you then get home if they do go? Whether it is some numpty or thief it must be better that they move onto the next pair of unlocked skis because of the extra hastle of breaking a lock.
snow report
frozennose, Oh no the
Quote:
the merits of wearing helmets
debate Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
miranda wrote:
... and handed the bag in with a very apologetic card with 50 quid inside, :

And that's the bit that differentiates you from a f/w... you made a mistake, people do. It's how you handle/put right the mistake that says it all. wink
latest report
When I take a group away, they all get similar skis from the same place - so I take a roll of masking tape and a sharpie marker and write peoples names on skis, boots and poles - avoids problems at lunch and in the boot room at the hotel. I'll be buying a lock for my skis after reading this...
ski holidays
miranda, did you get your bag after you return the wrong one?
latest report
frozennose wrote:
This thread reminds of the type of debate we have with friends about the merits of wearing helmets. When you ask whether they would be out on the bike, either mountain or road, without a helmet they wouldn't think twice don't think the same about skiing - 40 -50 MPH within a few feet of the trees or solid tarmac/ice for both activities, personally I can't see the difference. It is the same with locks. Would never dream of leaving several grands worth of bikes unlocked outside the cafe unattended/unlocked, so why do the same with your skis with the added problem of how you then get home if they do go? Whether it is some numpty or thief it must be better that they move onto the next pair of unlocked skis because of the extra hastle of breaking a lock.

I'm happy to admit I don't always wear a helmet while riding a bike. Nor do I often wear a helmet while skiing. Heck, I don't even close the "safety" bar while sitting on a chair lift! Very Happy

And it's extremely rare that I carry a lock when I bike. I just leave them outside the cafe I eat.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy