Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footbed lifespan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,
Keeping it brief for a change - can anyone say how long custom footbeds should last and how do you know when their knackered.

Ta,
briand6868
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course it "depends". Mine are three years old. I've skied 20 weeks on them and they seem ok still. I have REALLY flat feet and am susceptible to foot problems for the first two days of any ski trip but after this they settle down and are fine. They've stayed this way.

When I had them set up and the boots laser aligned I asked Hierling in Davos where I got them how long they should last. He thought about 3 to 5 years depending on time used.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
briand6868, how old are yours ? Do you have problems with them ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon, but I suspect that it depends what the footbed is made of and how it was made.

Also bear in mind that your foot can change shape over time. I have fiver year old footbeds that are structurally fine, but no longer "fit" my foot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have some footbeds in my trainers that are about 7 years old. I've shown them to both CEM and Smallzookeeper fairly recently to get their view if they are still OK. Both have said nothing wrong with them - don't bother changing unless they are giving you grief. I'd think that running puts more stress through a food bed than skiing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rigid moulded footbeds for ski boots? Not long if you try them in your walking boots and do a couple of mountains. Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
assuming you don't do ^^^^^^ then they should last at least 3-5 years and sometimes much much more, if you ski 1-2 weeks a year they will outlast the boot in terms of support but your feet may have changed over that period of time, but as was said above if they are not hurting you or causing problems then don't change them
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had my foot beds in for about 7 years now, skiing 3-4 weeks pa. They don't hurt, boots and skis steer really well still. I'm dreading the day that I might be forced to change anything.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty, In for 2.5 years,and lucky that I have no foot issues that I know of, but do a lot of dry slope training aswell as on snow, haven't noticed anything different but as I'm getting new boots ,hopefully,next week just was curious as to their lifespan

CEM, No ^^^^ for me, only keep them in my ski boots - presume I can take them forward to my new boots which will be "race" rather than "recreational".

FlyingStantoni, Read your review on the Fischer Vacuums - interested and look like an all round problem solver especially for those with "foot niggles" - assume their still spot on.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
briand6868 wrote:
FlyingStantoni, Read your review on the Fischer Vacuums - interested and look like an all round problem solver especially for those with "foot niggles" - assume their still spot on.

They are indeed. It's worth saying that they're not slippers. But they are as comfortable as i can imagine race boots ever being. And my skiing seems to like them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
briand6868 wrote:

CEM, presume I can take them forward to my new boots which will be "race" rather than "recreational".

depends on the footbed and your foot, they may have a little too much volume for a race boot and take up too much room, they may not, in most cases they can be adjusted to a new lower volume shell
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It took me a long time to realise the obvious, that if you have wonky feet and ankles they do not suddenly become OK when you are not skiing. For years I had variable experience of vacuum formed foot beds made by ski boot fitters. A running injury took me off to a ankle surgeon who referred me to a sports podiatrist who made dynamic computer scans of my feet and told me that I needed to wear foot beds virtually all the time - except in bed! I have an everyday pair and more robust pair for sports activity, including skiing. As I gradually had to do with all my shoes, I changed my ski boots to fit the foot bed. I return for a check up every couple of years and have had tweaks to the heel angulation to reflect changes in me, but the heavy duty pair look as though they are good for a few years yet and could well outlast the ski boot even though they are used 3 or 4 times a week for high impact activity. Like many things, I guess its down to the quality of the fit and the material.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone - new race boots and footbeds now fitted and paid for Salomon x3 rs - FlyingStantoni, Like yours, deffo not slippers but an almost instant performance change when given a bit of welly on the dendix....reckon they'll be a whole different animal in -10 snow though. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy