Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What odds on a desert nation achieving a World Cup podium next year?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Surprisingly higher than you might think! Ski Dubai has already recruited a top Austrian slalom racer, Kilian Albrecht, who hopes to change nationality and race for Dubai as soon as the International Ski Federation approves its admission as a member nation. Kilian has regularly finished in the top 20 in WC races. With its economic clout others, on the fringes of team selection in Alpine countries, may yet follow.

Read Kilian's story...

Not so farfetched then, and following in the steps of athletics, which has seen several worldclass recruits from the likes of Kenya to the UAE national team.

Is this a fair way to proceed? Should nationals of one country be able to shift allegiance from one nation to another on a whim, with financial incentives from the rich Gulf states no doubt a big factor in this case? Reminds me of when I watched France on its way to the 1998 World Cup in soccer - a large chunk of the squad had been born elsewhere, or were the children of foreign nationals, but granted nationality no doubt on the strength of their talent at some point... Just seems to me that it makes international competitions a little meaningless with all these 'shenanigans' going on.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The important thing is that individual athletes achieve their potential. One of the greatest ski racers of all time, Austrian-born Marc Girardelli, raced for Luxembourg for much of his career.

Hang-ups about nationalism are for nationalists. Politicians fund and exploit sport for the national kudos it can promote in the modern day. Therefore there may be stresses and strains in the relationship between athlete and state. If athletes act with integrity in achieving their personal gains, and jump borders to do it, that's a perfectly acceptable thing as far as I can see.
"Shenanigans" is a slightly perjorative word, I would have thought.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I take your point, and agree to an extent. It's important that athletes should follow the route that best enables them to realise their potential, unhindered by politics. But in the real world a nation may subsidise an athlete's training from childhood and contribute greatly to his/her eventual success, and a degree of resentment should they later choose to jump ship is a little understandable.

Also I do still think it makes something of a mockery of the concept of team competition between nations. It is theoretically possible for two teams to meet that are made up mainly from former nationals from the opposing country. Seems a bit daft to me.

Individual sports, with athletes competing in their own name, rather than as part of a team representing a country, is a little different.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, PG, not something about which I have terribly well formed nor informed opinions but hey, it's a Saturday morning...

My immediate reaction would (simplistically) be; either we run competitions on a national basis, or we don't. Allowing switches of allegiance means that we are effectively not. So drop all pretence and change the whole system.

Perhaps WC ski racing should organise a little like F1 racing, with the equipment companies forming teams? Although we'd need a few more large ones, rather than the existing quasi-cartel. And no interference from Ecclestone-like magnates.

That said, as I shift uncomfortably on my rather narrow fence, sub-WC levels should/maybe/probably need a national infrastructure to support grassroots development?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am strongly against athletes or sportsmen adopting flags of convenience. It has happened in rugby where the small poorer Pacific Islands have had their national teams decimated by way of their (and the world's) best players jumping ship to play for Australia and New Zealand. I do not begrudge these guys a decent living which they could achieve playing Super 14 or English club rugby. But when the talent is drained away from these smaller nations surely it has a destabilising effect on the grass roots and youth development of the sport.
I am aware that my great country wink was guilty of using mercenaries in the past - something I was never totally happy with but now the concentration is on nurturing home-grown talent.

These nationality changes always have a phoney feel about them which rarely ends with a happy conclusion - Zola Budd, Greg Rusedski, Malachi Davis, Bret Sinkinson and Michael Owen wink

One caveat is that anyone who is geuinely displaced or has emigrated to a country (say that they moved with their family as children) should be allowed to represent their adopted country. I suppose in individual sports like skiing, in a strong nation like Austria, there will always be talented athletes who will struggle to make their own national squad but would waltz into any other nation's national squad - but is this fair to those they displace. There are several examples of world class sportsmen who never fulfilled their potential on a world stage - Ryan Giggs, George Best - but that's how things sometimes happen

C'est la vie

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 3-09-05 13:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy