Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Johann in Tyrol

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Boys and Girls, hope you all had a good Christmas Smile , Going to St Johann with my son the beginning of feb for a weeks boarding, all advise appreciated, Where to hire good boards, what's the half pipe and park like, pubs pretty much any advise you guys have got. I know it's not the largest resort but for our level of riding it seems spot on.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
its a lovely area. no specific tips for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We hired skis from a shop (can't recall name) on the path just below the main Gondola. They were good as gold, reasonably priced and flexible on collection/drop off. There are quite a few small ski shops in the village which is pleasant enough. There is a delightful little cafe just along from the church on the main road through the square which makes the best strudel I've ever tasted! There are a couple of main pubs, one at the far end of the main road on the right after the railway lines (again forget the name) it has two bars, one quietish room serving bar snacks and the other a bit more party time!. The guy who runs it is Canadian and he looked after us well. The other main pub is right at the bottom of the slope and main gondola. Has excellent typically Austrian apres outside around a large circular bar and inside is loud music and a rather fantastic siren that goes off periodically and then squirts snapps and vodka out of the ceiling which you try to catch in your mouth! It was very entertaining (depending how old your son is!)

The snow was poor at St Johann when we were there so we caught the early skibus around to Fieberbrunn (only 20mins) where it was altogether better due to its aspect. The snow park there was good consisting of humps and bumps and jumps down the side of a really nice blue run down to restaurant serving excellent hot chocolate. The Half pipe there is good too at the bottom of a nice red run. I really preferrred the skiing at Fieberbrunn to St Johann and there is Steinplatte nearby also.

Size of resort wasn't an issue really as all connected well by bus and there are plenty of good runs to be found. Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 28-12-11 17:19; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just looked on maps and the ski hire shop was on Hornweg just by Wilder Kaiser Ski School. I think there are a couple there if I recall correctly. The main apres bar is Max's at the foot of the main slope. This was great early doors outside, loads of kids and adults great atmosphere and then later quite bawdy but still great fun.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Jirac, Thanks for the reply, all sounds good to me, my son would love the idea of the snapps and vodka, even though he's only thirteen wink .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I couldn't really remember much in the way of halfpipes or fun parks in St. Johann. However, looking at the piste map on the Internet reminded me that they do have bigs bumps/jumps down near the bottom of the Bauernpenzing gondola (on piste 7a, black but not very difficult). BTW, for anyone who is in the area earlier, there is an international ski cross competition there on 7th January.

I wasn't quite sure where the humps jirac18 referred to were but I think he must mean the runs down by the Hochfeld 2 lift (piste 1d on the map). Correct me if I'm wrong! I don't know the half pipe shown on the map at the foot of the Eichenhof area.

I like St. Johann for boarding, for it suits my pretty weak boarding style. However, there are more challenging bits around too.

If you want to try good eating in a pleasant atmosphere, investigate the Grander Schupf at the middle of the two Eichenhof T-bars (reachable by taxi for evening meals).

As jirac18 says, you could also try the Steinplatte/Winklmoosalm (has a big fun park + natural half pipe) or Fieberbrunn (half pipe). If you decide to try them, you might want to look into the Schneewinkel ski pass (prices here), which covers all three areas (+ the Pillersee/Buchensteinwand/Hochfilzen lifts + the small area at Kirchdorf). Strangely on that map Fieberbrunn (up left from St. Johann) isn't named at all; the Steinplatte is the area reached from Waidring.

Enjoy yourselves - let me know if I can help further.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi espri Thanks for the info, since me and my son are at the lower end of intermediate at boarding were not looking for anything too testing, just a week of fun on the snow. If we are just going to stick between the Eichenhof lift and Oberndorf do I still need to get the Schneewinkel pass or is there just a local pass that would do. Not too fussed about travelling around the area (if I had more time would certainly do that) the local slopes will be more than enough to keep us happy.
Thanks again
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
breakdown wrote:
If we are just going to stick between the Eichenhof lift and Oberndorf do I still need to get the Schneewinkel pass or is there just a local pass that would do.

The local St. Johann pass (there are tickets to 21 days although strangely only up to two days are shown here) is all you need for the Eichenhof and Oberndorf areas.

The Eichenhof lifts are all T-bars and quite long. For easy boarding I like to use the first section of the Harschbichl gondola and travel in comfort Smile. Sometimes I try the second section too, which is slightly more difficult, but if I can manage it, probably anyone who can stand on a snowboard can Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You will have a great time in St Johann, some of the other ski areas are well worth a visit and easy enough to get to. Hire shop and lockers at the bottom of the gondola is easiest. Have fun!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I know it's not the largest resort but for our level of riding it seems spot on.

It has 60 km piste and could be ski on the back of a ski pass bought for Ski Welt. Its nearest resort Going at 5.5 miles away. Kitzbuhel is 6.6miles from St Johann im Tirol. It is indeed a quiet small resort good for building up confidence.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the info. Just need to start praying to the snow gods to bless us with lots of snow wink . So looking forward to this holiday, I've been to Austria before and loved the country and it's people, their so down to earth and freindly I'm sure we'll have a great time. Once again Thanks, much appreciated Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
breakdown wrote:
Thanks for all the info. Just need to start praying to the snow gods to bless us with lots of snow wink .

Snowing gently here just now Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I might have to see the doc for some valium to keep me calm for the next few weeks Laughing . It's snowing at my local resort ( Glencoe) just now but due to storm force winds it's closed (mother nature can be Soooo cruel rolling eyes ) Hi Espri, was looking at the price difference between the local pass and the Schneewinkel pass, thiers not much in it, so will probably go for that and go exploring. Do you need a seperate pass for the freestyle parks or are they included
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two years ago they were included in the area pass at no additional cost
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think they are included too.
latest report
Excellent, my son will be happy about that, might even try a bit of freestyle myself Toofy Grin Right time to dust off the suitcase. St Johann here we come ready or not
ski holidays
Using the piste map on www.bergfex.com/fieberbrunn/panorama/ you'll find the half pipe at Fieberbrunn at the bottom of Blue 2 and Red 8 just above the Streuboden Gondola. Its good and easy to access from the short button lift which runs parallel to Steuboden. If you take Streuboden and get off at the mid station then use the button lift upto the restaurant at Wildalpgatterl you will find the jumps running down the side of Blue 3 & 4. This restaurant served the best Tyroler Groestl we found, it was a lovely scenic spot to relax for a drink and bite outside!

At the bottom of the hill the restaurant by the Steuboden Lift did fantastic goulash soup. Neither were expensive and the service was good and friendly when we were there two years ago.

Red 8 & 9 I recall being pretty good challenging runs for me as a then beginner and its the sort of place you can get right round nicely in a day and repeat the runs you like with good accessible lifts. Fieberbrunn would defo be worth a visit for you and your lad.

At St Johann the ski shop we hired from is next door to Wilder Kaiser ski school just over the stream that runs down by a pathway below Max's Bar and the main gondola station. They were helpful and friendly and unlike many places seemed happy to spend a while fitting boots and getting correct skis.
ski holidays
jirac18 wrote:
If you take Streuboden and get off at the mid station then use the button lift upto the restaurant at Wildalpgatterl you will find the jumps running down the side of Blue 3 & 4.

I would recommend the Wildalpgatterl too. We ate there too today, though only soup.
latest report
jirac18 wrote:
If you take Streuboden and get off at the mid station then use the button lift upto the restaurant at Wildalpgatterl you will find the jumps running down the side of Blue 3 & 4.

I would recommend the Wildalpgatterl too. We ate there too today, though only soup.
snow report
Ok, you's have talked my into it, Smile Fieberbrunn gets a visit. A couples of days at St Johann, then a couple at Fieberbrunn which leaves me two days to visit one or two of the other resorts in the area. Really starting to get excited about this now, appreciate all the advice will try and remember to get some photo's up when I come back, and let you's know how it went. I'm sure I'll have a great time
latest report
breakdown wrote:
Ok, you's have talked my into it, Smile Fieberbrunn gets a visit.

That's great! If you want to meet up, send me a PM (though I have friends staying with me in Feb, so it may not work out).

Enjoy your holiday!
latest report
Hi Espri, pm sent
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy